Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:30 PM

52 posts, read 245,059 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this litter box? You are supposed to be able to roll it and then pull out a tray with the used litter in it no scooping.

I bought one a few days ago and it doesn't work at all. The urine is clumped and stuck to the sides and nothing comes out in the tray. I'm scooping as I would a normal litter box.

This is really annoying as the box cost $30 + and came highly recommended. Do you have to have a special litter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
I had one way back in the day when I had a cat and it worked BEAUTIFULLY...I will say I spent more - way more - than $30 on it. And yes, you have to use the clumping litter.

Is this one of the electric boxes with the rake that comes on automatically and scoops it into the tray at the end of the box? That's what I had and it was priceless....and I think I paid better than $100 for it then (they were new on the market - I'm a sucker for things that whirrrrr!).

Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 AM

95 posts, read 323,804 times
I have two automatic litter boxes that rack the litter into the pan. The litter that I use is a combination of Swheatscoop and Fresh Results. The litter is not combined when you buy it, but if you dump 1 & 1/2 cups of each or so, it works well.
*I find that the clay clumping litter sticks inside the box much harder than the wheat or corn litter.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM

No its not one that is automatic and rakes. You manually roll it from side to side and supposedly the hard stuff is filtered through the grate dumped into a tray that you pull out. Here's the website if you like to see it. Welcome to Omega Paw

I am using Tidy Cat multicat clumping litter.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
If your cats are big fatties like mine (plus my cats are just BIG), and produce big pee clumps, it doesn't work.

I've tried EVERYTHING! I also had the automatic one when it first came out ($300!). The clumps were so big that the rake would get stuck trying to rake it into the bin, and make a horrible grinding noise, then of course my cats became terrified of it and would never use it again.

I'm considering the one that uses washable litter and attaches to your plumbing line and "Flushes" after the cat uses it, but I have to make sure my biggest cat will fit inside...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM

605 posts, read 2,991,128 times
I had one of those years ago and didn't care for it, for the reasons you mentioned. Plus, I'm not a big fan of covered boxes - they are great for people, but not-so-great for cats who are stuck in that covered box with the odors. I have resorted to buying large utility tubs sold in home improvement stores (less that $5 each) and scooping by hand, the old fashioned way, using clumping litter.

Gimmicky litterboxes are fine, but scooping really isn't that bad if you do it often, and often the boxes that are designed to make our lives easier and the boxes that the cats hate to use!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM

I agree Hanna. I'm going back to a regular litter box.

BTW, my cats ARE big and produce a lot of pee clumps as you say. So I guess thats the problem.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,488,516 times
Sometimes the automatic litter boxes don't work right if you don't get the litter that clumps. I know thats not the kind you had and I haven't really heard of the kind you have. All I know is my husband said its funny we have a 150 dollar litter box, 40 dollar cat climbing condo and a $10 cat...yeah but he's worth it!!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerlady9 View Post
Has anyone used this litter box? You are supposed to be able to roll it and then pull out a tray with the used litter in it no scooping.

I bought one a few days ago and it doesn't work at all. The urine is clumped and stuck to the sides and nothing comes out in the tray. I'm scooping as I would a normal litter box.

This is really annoying as the box cost $30 + and came highly recommended. Do you have to have a special litter?
I know exactly which litter box you are talking about. I used to have one for our cats but gave up on it for the reasons mentioned here. Litter would cling to the side of the box or I would have to really jostle the box to get the clumps to collect in the collection tray so I could dispose of it. The idea is a good one, but the design still needs some work. I am back to manually scooping the litter every day. I have found that a long-handled scoop really makes the job much less of a chore.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,841,201 times
One of my friends had one a few years back and when I catsat for her, I didn't have any problems with the box. It wouldn't work for my group, however, as I have too many FAT kitties and the box simply isn't big enough .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats