Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times

Advertisements

Lord... Why did you post this? You sound too sincere to be a troll so I have to mark it up to your guilt.

For the record, none of my 6 cats are declawed.

Now, that said, yes, I would rather see a toddler in an otherwise wonderful home without the last digits of their fingers than lying dead in the street or worst. Being in a loveless or abusive home or trying to survive out in the wild, as so many kitties are, would be worst in my opinion.

I have never, and I mean never, encountered a cat who developed all of the behavior problems people site when arguing against declawing. I cat sat for over 4 years, literally hundreds of cats, and most were declawed. Most were doted on much more than any toddlers I've met as well.

I will say I've seen one botched declaw and it was terrible, but that is a question of going to a good vet who is a competent surgeon.

In my opinion I would not cut the tendons, I think a clean amputation is better than cutting one of the basic structural supports of the body. Plus they won't be able to stretch properly.

Declawing is complicated by the age of your kitties. The weight of a full grown cat is going to make the healing process longer and more painful. Kittens bounce back like nothing has happened to them, but adult cats don't. This is a fact you are going to have to face. It is not optimal to declaw an adult say the least.

I think you should seriously think about how bad the damage really is. The cloth that covers the bottom of the box spring isn't really that big a deal. Just rip it completely off, no one looks under there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 225,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I think you should seriously think about how bad the damage really is. The cloth that covers the bottom of the box spring isn't really that big a deal. Just rip it completely off, no one looks under there anyway.
It isn't just the bed, or the couch, or chair. It is the wallpaper, the curtains, and in some cases it's been my dad, or my nieces. They are in no way violent cats, they are quite happy and loving, they just don't know what they are doing in some cases.

And to all the people complaining about it being inhumane. How many cats did you have growing up that weren't declawed?? It was the natural thing to do when the cat was to be indoors.

See, the internet is the devil! Exercise and eating habits. The results from smoking and drinking.

Any of you that are complaining about declawing, are you smokers or drinkers? Do you not think that is mutilating your own body?

Also, a cat has a short term memory span of 10 minutes, and their long term memory is based on doing something over and over again. I won't be declawing them over and over again.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times
Don't feel so guilty about it.. they will recover. I have 2 cats that are NOT declawed. I don't agree with it, unless it's really a necessity. That's your call. Our 2 cats are clawing up our couches and we simply cover them with blankets unless we are having guests. This keeps the hair off too. On the other hand, we just got a kitten. Our 2 yo and kitten are constant playmates and my daughter's poor little hands are torn up. Despite my pleas, and punishments, she loves the kitten and he loves her as a playmate.. I can't prevent it. We have decided to get the little one declawed. Im not super happy with it.. but its the right choice. You have to decide whats best, and I believe they will recover. Just make sure they rest well and are pampered when they come home..

Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
Just for the heck of it; try putting some vinegar in the water and then mist/spray it.
They are known to hate the smell of vinegar, should be a good deterrent.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,187 times
I have 2 cats. When they were kittens, they did claw on some furniture.. I wasn't too happy.. but that's what cats do. (I had 2 others that passed away from old age and did not do this). I clapped my hands, shouted, squirted water to deter them from clawing.. I bought them a wonderful post with a perch on top (the one's with rope wrapped around the bottom). They liked this one. They also love those cardboad "cheap" ones with catnip on them. I recovered my chair with heavy material that is pretty resistant to pulling threads. They rarely claw furniture anymore. You really have to train them just like any other animal.

Sometimes it just takes a little tiime to figure out what they like to use. I wouldn't remove their claws myself.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 PM

412 posts, read 1,752,243 times
My cat only scratched one piece of wood furniture in my house and after i removed it she has not done anything to anything else. My cat is outdoors about half the day, do you let your cat out? Maybe your cats are bored or something. Idk, I was just thinking that the reason my cat probably does not scratch anything in my house is because she is outside or asleep inside and she does not really get the opportunity. Or she scratches things outside.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I need a vet to train me how to declaw I will not do it.
I already once in trim my own nails too short.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Giggity, you are kidding me right? Come on!!! Declawing is strictly to protect furniture and really no other reason. Spaying/neutering is to stop the overpopulation of animals so that hundreds of thousands of them do not have to be killed every year for no reason.

Not to get off subject but certain women/men should be spayed/neutered as well!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I need a vet to train me how to declaw I will not do it. I already once in trim my own nails too short.
Declawing is not the same as trimming the claws.

Declawing is removing the whole claw by the amputation of the first joint of the toes. It is a surgical procedure.

Trimming the claws is like trimming your fingernails and as long as you avoid getting too close to the pink area the cat doesn't feel a thing. Cutting too close is the same as cutting your fingernails too close and making it bleed. It's not a serious injury, but it will make it harder to get the cat to hold still next time you need to give him a trim

Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Do you know how many cats and kittens have been returned by owners to shelters because they have ruined furniture??? Better to declaw them once and for all, to keep them as your pets and in your family forever. It doesn't hurt them; they don't care; they don't miss the claws. At least their life will be spared. My cats are declawed and will never ruin anything of mine again. And they have a forever home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats