Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 08:27 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I bought Worlds Best Lavender scented clumping. Is this safe for a kitten?

You were right about Dr Elsey’s being hard to find, silica was sold out, although they had clay available. I did buy a 20 pound bag of grass litter and am curious to see how well it does. The reviews on it were good.

I would expect any cat will find a lavender scented litter very unpleasant. Cats have a very sensitive sense of smell. And corn and lavender together...my gosh your house will really stink.

No clumping litter is safe for a kitten, you should use non-clumping until they are about 4-6 months old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 08:27 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I would expect any cat will find a lavender scented litter very unpleasant. Cats have a very sensitive sense of smell. And corn and lavender together...my gosh your house will really stink.

No clumping litter is safe for a kitten, you should use non-clumping until they are about 4-6 months old.
Thanks for that info, the kitten will start on non clumping grass litter. I bought a bag of Smart Cat.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:00 AM

28 posts, read 26,947 times
I mix walnut and pine pellets and it works great for natural odor control.

2 big boxes for my 4 wild beasts and they have zero box related issues. Every 2 weeks the boxes are cleaned and refreshed. Only takes 15min to clean and is not gross, just a bunch of saw dust is left to dump out.

I measure out the pellets and is just the right amount for my 2 week cycle. For whatever reason the pellet form is cheaper than granular stuff so if your cats will adapt to it I'd recommend it. All my guys were feral and didn't seem to care what they did their business in.

Only down side of the pellets is when the boxes are fresh it's kind of noisy when someone digs.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:22 PM

An update on Smart Cat litter. With new indoor kitties, they’re using the litter but it doesn’t contain the smell as well as I’d like. The plus side is it’s lightweight and has no dust. It’s vastly superior to clay, but will try more brands for the odor problem.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
An update on Smart Cat litter. With new indoor kitties, they’re using the litter but it doesn’t contain the smell as well as I’d like. The plus side is it’s lightweight and has no dust. It’s vastly superior to clay, but will try more brands for the odor problem.

Mix it with some clumping clay. You'll like it better.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:25 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Anyone has experience with organic litter - pros/cons?
I don't mind Fresh Step clumping, but wondering if it's healthier for our senior cat to use something different and less toxic potentially.
Try grass seed cat litter. Can't say enough good about it (though you might want to avoid scented varieties).

Old 05-06-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Anyone has experience with organic litter - pros/cons?
I don't mind Fresh Step clumping, but wondering if it's healthier for our senior cat to use something different and less toxic potentially.
Ok, five months and three cats later, I’ve gone through a bunch of different litter. The worst litters are the ones where you smell that sharp ammonia smell while cleaning the box.

I’ll do a shout out for Naturally Fresh walnut shell litter. This litter really does last longer than the other kinds I’ve tried, and at worst there is only an earthy smell and never the ammonia smell. This litter doesn’t turn to concrete at the bottom of the box, a lot of brands do and it’s a real pain to chip it out. With three big boys who love to eat, the cat boxes get a workout, a twenty pound box of clay lasts about two weeks. This 26 pound bag of litter has lasted almost a month and there is still enough litter I’m guessing for another two weeks.

This is definitely one of the best litters so far.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:48 AM

So glad you found something you and your cats like!

Old 05-07-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
So glad you found something you and your cats like!
Thanks, with the cats years ago, I used Fresh Step. There weren’t many brands to choose from. Things have changed.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:27 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Thanks for the recommendation; it might be worth trying. Anything corn or wheat, I have an idiot who snacks on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats