Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 05:00 PM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times

Advertisements

Kittens! More Kittens! Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 05:13 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so I have called several vet offices and without exception they are telling me 5 to 6 months. I also had a friend of mine at the gym tell me that what matters is that the male cat's testicles are descended, so I guess I will try to have a look at Benedict. Either way, pretty sure I can get him "fixed" before I get Beatrix "fixed." We'll see. Even though he's a bit younger.

Meanwhile, they are both so babyish that I'm not overly concerned. They adore each other. I can't imagine separating them. But if Beatrix goes into heat while Benedict is still "intact," of course I will have to separate them, which would probably be awful. I bet a vet would do something then! LOL

But it looks like I will be able to neuter Benedict around 4 or 5 months of age, which seems fine to me. I just checked him - no sign of descended testicles at this point - LOL. He didn't like it but oh well. Sucks to be a kitty sometimes.
KA, I find what those vets are saying to be really bizarre. If you talk to any of them again, can you please ask them why Humane Societies spay so much earlier? I'm not being argumentative at all -- I am just astonished because my experience with Humane Societies is so different from what the vets are telling you. (Makes me wonder if there are regional differences.)

I had to laugh at the "testicles test" -- I'm not sure I'd even know how to check for that!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:14 PM

I thought it was 16 weeks?

Old 07-27-2022, 05:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
At Humane Societies it's WAY earlier than that -- as early as 8 weeks. I know because my little Shirley is about 11 weeks old now -- she was 9 weeks when I got her and she was already spayed.

And she's as adorable as ever.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
At Humane Societies it's WAY earlier than that -- as early as 8 weeks. I know because my little Shirley is about 11 weeks old now -- she was 9 weeks when I got her and she was already spayed.

I think they take their living situation into consideration, so I would be surprised if once Benedict's testicles "descend" they don't neuter him. But since he 's not feral and not living on the streets, I think they are going further out - which does make sense to me.

I just don't want Beatrix to get pregnant and I don't want any "cat spraying," which Benedict is totally not doing right now. Honestly, both of them are such babies. I think that plays another large part in this. They seem safe and well taken care of right now and neither of them is in any danger of being abandoned or whatever. Anyway, I am keeping an eye on Benedict because I do feel like he's going to go "under the knife" before Beatrix - LOL!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:

That makes sense in a shelter situation. But, when you are a cat owner and the cat is in it's forever home there shouldn't need to be a rush. My vet had me do my female cat at 16 weeks back in 2007. My rescue boy cats were older and neutered when I got them.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
KA, I find what those vets are saying to be really bizarre. If you talk to any of them again, can you please ask them why Humane Societies spay so much earlier? I'm not being argumentative at all -- I am just astonished because my experience with Humane Societies is so different from what the vets are telling you. (Makes me wonder if there are regional differences.)

I had to laugh at the "testicles test" -- I'm not sure I'd even know how to check for that!
See above post.

I was able to totally look at Benedict's testicles, or lack thereof - that's not to say I WANTED to but I was able to! LOL He did not appreciate it.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so I have called several vet offices and without exception they are telling me 5 to 6 months. I also had a friend of mine at the gym tell me that what matters is that the male cat's testicles are descended, so I guess I will try to have a look at Benedict. Either way, pretty sure I can get him "fixed" before I get Beatrix "fixed." We'll see. Even though he's a bit younger.

Meanwhile, they are both so babyish that I'm not overly concerned. They adore each other. I can't imagine separating them. But if Beatrix goes into heat while Benedict is still "intact," of course I will have to separate them, which would probably be awful. I bet a vet would do something then! LOL

But it looks like I will be able to neuter Benedict around 4 or 5 months of age, which seems fine to me. I just checked him - no sign of descended testicles at this point - LOL. He didn't like it but oh well. Sucks to be a kitty sometimes.
Yes sadly that's still common. My youngest cat (now 12) had her first heat, a silent heat, at 4 months old. I was very annoyed with my vet that she was insisting we wait until she was 6 months old. As soon as I realized she'd had the heat I pushed again for the spay. Vet was still reluctant and dragged her feet until she was 5 1/2 months old.

The female is the most important to be done first. She's the one who gets pregnant. A male can stay fertile for quite a while after the neuter, so while yes it's good to have it done as soon as possible, it won't solve the more immediate problem that may be coming, which is she can still get pregnant.

However that's a lovely story about your dog and this same vet. There's a lot to be said for sticking with a vet you value and trust. I didn't leave my vet over that delayed spay issue either. Even the way we lock horns over the raw diet, still I feel my pets are in good hands, and we communicate well with each other. She's a loving vet to the animals and a terrific diagnostician.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:06 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My cat was spayed by her 1st owner at 16 weeks, right on her 4-month birthday. She's now 12 years old.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:47 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Regarding males, my country vet years ago stated that as long as the male had "something to hold on to" they could be neutered. All my cats got spayed and neutered young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats