Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would a cat prefer?
To stay in someone else's home for a bit 0 0%
To stay at home with short visits 24 100.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,612,757 times

Advertisements

I don't agree that she will enjoy her people free time and she might very well get a little lonely, and her routine will still be disrupted, so there may still be some stress.

Cats like routine and they like their people to come and go as they normally would.

But that is far better for her than a week of stress and fear that she would feel living in a strange house with a strange person. Cats are very attached to territory. It is always better for them (except as someone mentioned, a young kitten) to leave them in their home, all their smells around them, with someone coming in to care for them and provide company, if they want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 07:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,934,188 times
I don't know what you mean by "old," but our 19 year old has some dementia and would be very confused if left at a new place. I voted for keeping the kitty at home.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:12 AM

481 posts, read 428,081 times
Thanks for your insights! It changed the conversation at my house!

Old 12-18-2019, 01:06 PM

5,854 posts, read 5,294,463 times
We take a long trip every year (5 weeks). I am lucky to have someone who will come to the house the everyday (he is the person we got Josette from). He works around the corner from the house and comes on his lunch break. He is also kind of enough to take Electra (who is 18 & 1/2) to the vet twice a week for fluids. I also have my cleaning woman come in once a week and she is kind enough to change the catboxes so my catsitter doesn't have to. Yes, I feel guilty about leaving them for so long but I do it for my husband.

Cat

Old 12-18-2019, 02:25 PM

638 posts, read 995,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Do you think an old cat would be happiest boarding at a stranger's home for a little over a week, or would a kitty prefer staying home and having someone visit them once a day for 1/2 hour?

I already picked an option for my kitty, but wondered if there's a general consensus.
They’re ALWAYS happier in their own familiar home

Old 12-18-2019, 03:17 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I don't agree that she will enjoy her people free time and she might very well get a little lonely, and her routine will still be disrupted, so there may still be some stress.

Cats like routine and they like their people to come and go as they normally would.

But that is far better for her than a week of stress and fear that she would feel living in a strange house with a strange person. Cats are very attached to territory. It is always better for them (except as someone mentioned, a young kitten) to leave them in their home, all their smells around them, with someone coming in to care for them and provide company, if they want it.
I agree; I'm not getting this "cats don't get bored or lonely" line at all! Of course being left at home is the lesser of the two evils if the alternative is uprooting it to an entirely new and strange environment, but sitting in an empty house alone for 23 1/2 hours a day is hardly ideal. My own cat has become withdrawn and depressed just from losing his feline companion. They are very sentient -- and very sensitive -- creatures. Personally, I won't travel as long as I have pets, but very few pet owners let that stop them, I've noticed...

Old 12-18-2019, 03:57 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,156,539 times
Older cats tend to sleep most of the day anyhow, so I think having someone check every day is fine. Leave a few toys out, if you want.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:58 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We take a long trip every year (5 weeks). I am lucky to have someone who will come to the house the everyday (he is the person we got Josette from). He works around the corner from the house and comes on his lunch break. He is also kind of enough to take Electra (who is 18 & 1/2) to the vet twice a week for fluids. I also have my cleaning woman come in once a week and she is kind enough to change the catboxes so my catsitter doesn't have to. Yes, I feel guilty about leaving them for so long but I do it for my husband.

Cat

My cats would be very unhappy with only a weekly cat litter clean up.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,396,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
My husband argues that she'll feel lonesome and bored...
Doubtful. But even if she is a bit bored or lonesome, that's much better than being stressed (which can affect her health).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
She will enjoy her people free time and might consider letting you back into her good graces once you grovel a bit after your return. Please it is considerable less stress on her to be at home the to have to adjust to new surroundings just to be sent home in a week.
The amount of effort you will have to make to get back into her good graces, totally depends on how long you were away. Be advised they can be little Drama Queens when they think they're being neglected by their staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats