Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 03:15 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,517,417 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about adopting a new kitty, which I did about a month after putting my wonderful 16-year-old previous cat to sleep.

It is not going well, and I am so torn. Please be gentle on me when you respond, and understand that this is breaking my heart.

The rescue group knew nothing about Toby, only that he came from a high-kill shelter down south. He was adorable, and after hiding the first day or so, he came out to play with me, roll over for belly rubs, and just purr away. He seems so happy in his new home, and very attached to me.

The problem? He won't use his litter boxes. (I put out two - each with different litter.) In the 6 days I've had him, he has defecated throughout the house - including my bedroom (when the litter box is in the next room), the living room, behind the TV (twice), and on the stairs. All carpeted.

I took him to the vet, and he checked out fine. So no medical reason. ($200 in vet bills a couple days after the $160 adoption fee.)

I've tried to catch him just as he's about to poop, pick him up and put him in the box, and he jumps out and poops a few feet away.

I just feel terrible, but this is the 4th cat I've adopted, and I've never had a problem. You just show them where the box is, and they use it.

I just feel awful. I'm looking at the little guy right now (he just pooped behind the TV 30 minutes ago), and I just feel so sorry for him. But I can't come home to cleaning feces every day.

(He also sprayed my bedroom furniture, and it took a lot to get the smell out. He was spayed right before he was adopted out, so many the instinct is still there.)

WWYD?

Old 04-06-2019, 03:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times
How old is Toby? Is he neutered?

EDIT: Oh I see now you said he was spayed (it's neutering actually) Yes it can take up to 10 weeks for all hormones to leave after a male cat is neutered.

Has he been 'declawed'?

It's possible he is marking, because of the smell of your other cat.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:24 PM

294 posts, read 181,211 times
Oh no! Sorry to hear but I am sure you will work it out.

Is it a completely new litter box?
I heard many cats (incl ours) tolerate the paper litter very well. Maybe worth a try?
Does he goes in there to pee?
For the next weeks, maybe get a second one and out e.g next to the TV? Maybe he does need two (one for number 1 and one for number 2)?
Maybe he is still stressed - rescue drops? Or the feline spray?

There is an article- maybe you get more ideas
https://www.adoptapet.com/blog/how-t...rbox-problems/

Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How old is Toby? Is he neutered?

EDIT: Oh I see now you said he was spayed (it's neutering actually) Yes it can take up to 10 weeks for all hormones to leave after a male cat is neutered.

Has he been 'declawed'?

It's possible he is marking, because of the smell of your other cat.
The rescue said he was 3, but the vet said that he's only about 9 or 10 months. I'm tending to believe my vet - he is smallish, around 7 pounds.

He has his claws.

It might be true what you said about marking. But what about the defecation? I am cleaning up cat feces every day, and it gets smeared into the carpet. Pretty disgusting. Also, he is urinating in the box, just not defecating.

Right now he's sleeping five feet from me, on his back with belly exposed. He trusts me completely now.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Oh no! Sorry to hear but I am sure you will work it out.

Is it a completely new litter box?
I heard many cats (incl ours) tolerate the paper litter very well. Maybe worth a try?
Does he goes in there to pee?
For the next weeks, maybe get a second one and out e.g next to the TV? Maybe he does need two (one for number 1 and one for number 2)?
Maybe he is still stressed - rescue drops? Or the feline spray?

There is an article- maybe you get more ideas
https://www.adoptapet.com/blog/how-t...rbox-problems/
Thanks.

Yes, and i started with two completely new boxes.

And thanks for the link. I've been reading articles, but I don't think I came across that one.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Just thinking: what if you put him back into the safe room for a few more days with the two boxes and see what he does? Will he then use it?

I understand you want him out and next to you, but maybe it’s just too much for him?

Old 04-06-2019, 03:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The rescue said he was 3, but the vet said that he's only about 9 or 10 months. I'm tending to believe my vet - he is smallish, around 7 pounds.

He has his claws.

It might be true what you said about marking. But what about the defecation? I am cleaning up cat feces every day, and it gets smeared into the carpet. Pretty disgusting. Also, he is urinating in the box, just not defecating.

Right now he's sleeping five feet from me, on his back with belly exposed. He trusts me completely now.

House soiling, marking, can also be done with poop. If he is a rescued stray...he may have had to work hard to defend his territory. 7 pounds is small, I have a 9 year old cat who is only 7 pounds Age is generally determined by teeth. A 10 month old cat's teeth will be very different from a 3 year olds, I would think, so your vet would be able to tell.

Quote:
Just thinking: what if you put him back into the safe room for a few more days with the two boxes and see what he does? Will he then use it?

I understand you want him out and next to you, but maybe it’s just too much for him?
I think this is a good idea to limit his area for now. One room, four litter boxes even. In addition, you could try Dr Elsey's cat attract litter.

https://www.drelseys.com/shop/cat-attract/

Can be found at Amazon.

I like that article you linked to.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I did that yesterday, and he was crying and clawing at the door to get out for 30 minutes. I'm afraid it adds to his stress, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
House soiling, marking, can also be done with poop. If he is a rescued stray...he may have had to work hard to defend his territory. 7 pounds is small, I have a 9 year old cat who is only 7 pounds Age is generally determined by teeth. A 10 month old cat's teeth will be very different from a 3 year olds, I would think, so your vet would be able to tell.

I think this is a good idea to limit his area for now. One room, four litter boxes even. In addition, you could try Dr Elsey's cat attract litter.

https://www.drelseys.com/shop/cat-attract/

Can be found at Amazon.

I like that article you linked to.
Gosh, he's sleeping so peacefully right now I hate to wake him up and put him in the room.

Also, I have one litter box in the powder room, and the other in the "safe" room. Maybe I should move the PR box into the safe room, and see what happens.

Dang. I never expected I would have this problem. He seems so happy. He plays with the string for an hour (until Mom poops out, you should pardon the expression).

How long would you give this? I am sick over the thought, but I might have to return him. I'll hate myself and will think of him for the rest of life.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Maybe add The feli spray to the room (feli something)? Maybe you can sit in there with him? Or even sleep there? (Sorry to suggest...haha)
(I had to sleep with our cat in the walk in closet many years ago, after surgery, but after these few nights we were super best buddies).

Last edited by Jackiemohro; 04-06-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats