Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:00 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
The stay stuff (feli something)? Maybe you can sit in there with him? Or even sleep there? (Sorry to suggest...)
(I had to sleep with our cat in the walk in closet many years ago, after surgery, but after these few nights we were super best buddies).
Yes....Feliway. I'll buy some of that.

And when he's in the room, I do visit with him. Play string, cuddles, etc.

He just walked over to his dinner bowl. As soon as he finishes, we'll both go to the room. I'll also move the second litter box in there.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:04 PM

294 posts, read 180,511 times
Good luck. Let us know how it goes tonight. Even if you have a few difficult days with him, with lots of headaches and maybe less sleep, it hopefully is worth it in the long run. He seems to be very special and I am sure he will make you very very happy ��

Old 04-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Good luck. Let us know how it goes tonight. Even if you have a few difficult days with him, with lots of headaches and maybe less sleep, it hopefully is worth it in the long run. He seems to be very special and I am sure he will make you very very happy ��
Thank you for the encouragement.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:10 PM

74 posts, read 55,329 times
So sorry to hear that Toby is turning into the Marking King - that's incredibly frustrating, I know. If he was mostly marking when you are gone, I'd wonder if he was expressing loneliness, or fear at being alone, but it sounds like he does it all the time.

Has your vet suggested Feliway? We have had good luck with that for managing stress and litterbox issues; it is basically mom-cat pheromones, which most cats find calming. We keep a diffuser plugged in right by each set of litterboxes (we have three in the basement and two on the main floor), and I think it does make a difference.

You may also want to try out different varieties of litter. When we had a cat with less-than-perfect litterbox usage, I went out and bought about half a dozen different varieties of litter, an equal number of cheap litterboxes, and I lined them all up with a different variety of litter in each one. I spent a week tracking the number of deposits in each box, and by the end of the week, it was very clear which one he preferred. Also, if you usually use scented litter, try an unscented variety or two.

The other thing we found with our cat with litterbox issues was that it appeared he just didn't like the texture of the litter on his feet. I wound up getting one of those wide, shallow under-the-bed totes, about three feet by four feet and maybe six or eight inches deep, and I'd just pour a heap of litter in the very center of it. The fussy cat would squat with his feet on the smooth plastic of the tote and his rear end over the litter, and would eliminate that way.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this, and I really hope you can figure out what it is that Toby wants so he can stay with you. I completely understand why you are conflicted - we were in the same boat with our litter-challenged critter. We loved him dearly, but didn't want our home damaged by his litterbox idiosyncrasies. I send good luck and best wishes to both of you.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:23 PM

352 posts, read 285,853 times
You might want to try a litter that has a very fine grain like sand.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r03ix9A View Post
So sorry to hear that Toby is turning into the Marking King - that's incredibly frustrating, I know. If he was mostly marking when you are gone, I'd wonder if he was expressing loneliness, or fear at being alone, but it sounds like he does it all the time.

Has your vet suggested Feliway? We have had good luck with that for managing stress and litterbox issues; it is basically mom-cat pheromones, which most cats find calming. We keep a diffuser plugged in right by each set of litterboxes (we have three in the basement and two on the main floor), and I think it does make a difference.

You may also want to try out different varieties of litter. When we had a cat with less-than-perfect litterbox usage, I went out and bought about half a dozen different varieties of litter, an equal number of cheap litterboxes, and I lined them all up with a different variety of litter in each one. I spent a week tracking the number of deposits in each box, and by the end of the week, it was very clear which one he preferred. Also, if you usually use scented litter, try an unscented variety or two.

The other thing we found with our cat with litterbox issues was that it appeared he just didn't like the texture of the litter on his feet. I wound up getting one of those wide, shallow under-the-bed totes, about three feet by four feet and maybe six or eight inches deep, and I'd just pour a heap of litter in the very center of it. The fussy cat would squat with his feet on the smooth plastic of the tote and his rear end over the litter, and would eliminate that way.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this, and I really hope you can figure out what it is that Toby wants so he can stay with you. I completely understand why you are conflicted - we were in the same boat with our litter-challenged critter. We loved him dearly, but didn't want our home damaged by his litterbox idiosyncrasies. I send good luck and best wishes to both of you.
Thanks for you understanding, and your suggestions.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I did that yesterday, and he was crying and clawing at the door to get out for 30 minutes. I'm afraid it adds to his stress, but I'm not sure.

Oh dear, I know that would be awful, but I see you are considering staying in there with him. Do try the Cat Attract litter, and more litter boxes. Please keep us posted. It's early days yet, after all.

Also you will need an enzyme cleaner to clean the soiled spots, it's the only way to get rid of the odor so he can't smell it any more.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:52 PM

OK, I can't stand it.....We are now both in the room, and Toby has been crying and wailing to get out. He now just crawled back into his carrier (I left it in the room when I carried him in almost a week ago), and he is still crying.

Dang. The "safe" room is where he's supposed to feel secure, but he hates it.

Anyway, that's where we are at this juncture. I will keep you all posted, and I thank you again for your tips and understanding.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Oh dear, I know that would be awful, but I see you are considering staying in there with him. Do try the Cat Attract litter, and more litter boxes. Please keep us posted. It's early days yet, after all.

Also you will need an enzyme cleaner to clean the soiled spots, it's the only way to get rid of the odor so he can't smell it any more.
Is Nature's Miracle an enzyme cleaner? I have some of that left from my previous cat. (She didn't soil, but she did vomit once in a while.)

And yes, I'm still here in the room. He seems to have calmed down. I grabbed him, held him on my lap, and stroked him, and he put his little head against my chest. Then I put him down, and he isn't crying.

Now, for tomorrow.....I will have to leave him for the bulk of the day (at least 6 or 7 hours) because I drive over to my elderly parents' on Sundays and help them out with things. (And visit of course.) It will be the longest stretch he's been alone, and I will definitely leave him here in this room - with food/water, and two clean litter boxes.

OK...now....(I'm doing this in real time)….he is lying down, stretched out, with his eyes closed. I think he's pretty comfortable at the moment.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I am sorry, he is crying. It sounds as if he likes to have the full home to run around in. I hope one of the suggestions will help you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats