Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 02:08 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

What do you think of it? I was trying to look up a Chewy brand called Tiny Tiger (mad sale), and found this cat food rating site. Based on their input, I wouldn't try Tiny Tiger brand.

Their best lists gave me a couple of things I might look for for variety. When Gypsy was recently not feeling well and not eating well, I shopped for some new things to tempt her. I think I did OK since she got a little variety and no stomach upset and is now back to eating anything that she can get by any means. I found a brand I bought just based on label reading (bring a magnifying glass, BTW) on their list.

I just thought to post this after reading JamesBond's thread on stinky, not-cat-approved cat food flavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:50 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Hmm, had never heard of this before. Looks like it might be a good starting point, but a lot to go over.

One of my cat's staples:
Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken Cat Food Review

Problem is, just because it gets a good rating, doesn't mean your cat is gonna like it.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:54 AM

One interesting thing I just learned by browsing through that site is, Wellness Core flavors tend to score better than the regular Wellness. I do get her Wellness Core sometimes, maybe I'll get it more often!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:57 AM

In their blog they have a list of their best wet cat foods:
CatFoodDB's Best Wet Cat Foods
^
A few of those I've tried, but she WILL NOT eat the Wild Frontier (#11). In fact the stray cats I feed at work won't touch it either.

So as I said, just because it's rated highly does not mean your cat will eat it!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 AM

I had a vet recommend me a supposedly limited ingredient food that came out to $4 a 3-oz. can and it was the one and only cat food that my cat just wouldn't eat past an experimental bite. And I was violently pissed when I opened it to find vegetables. So much for limited ingredients. I gave the unopened cans away.

I bought Instinct based on the label info and she likes it. That was on the good list.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I had a vet recommend me a supposedly limited ingredient food that came out to $4 a 3-oz. can and it was the one and only cat food that my cat just wouldn't eat past an experimental bite. And I was violently pissed when I opened it to find vegetables. So much for limited ingredients. I gave the unopened cans away.

I bought Instinct based on the label info and she likes it. That was on the good list.
Ref, ya need to go raw only. Even Primal makes a decent food but high in bone use & can be phosporous-rough on weakened cat kidenys. Just a warning to Primal brand users.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
One interesting thing I just learned by browsing through that site is, Wellness Core flavors tend to score better than the regular Wellness. I do get her Wellness Core sometimes, maybe I'll get it more often!
I bought a variety of some of the recommended brands, especially the Wellness Core in the small cans. $58 for cat food this week. Should last her awhile. Also some litter and, of course, a few new toys. They deserve to be spoiled.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I bought a variety of some of the recommended brands, especially the Wellness Core in the small cans. $58 for cat food this week. Should last her awhile. Also some litter and, of course, a few new toys. They deserve to be spoiled.
Oh, no worries on being spoiled.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:42 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
At the risk of getting drawn and quartered - we went to wet only with the aunties last summer and it was not pretty to ween them from grazing kibble. After trying everything local feed/pet/grocery stores offered, throwing out can after can or cleaning up bombs - they get what they eat and stays down which is Fancy Feast. The furries pantry is pretty full but I added 20 cases and a bag of Blue Buffalo for Izzi's toppers. You never know when the first ice storm will hit.

In adaption to Toby Keith - Fancy Feast for our cats, merlot for us, Oklahoma winter we do not fear.

For those who are not familiar with feed stores - some make Whole Foods look like 7/11 as far as options and quality is concerned.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Bwaaaahhhhh …. bought all that healthy food for Miss BeBe and she will not eat the Core Wellness. ! Do cats have some type of fetish for grain ? I notice her favorites are not grain free. I'm wondering if I mix it in with her favorite, would she eventually get a taste for it? or will that just mean running the disposal more.

She is crazy about the Fancy Feast Chicken Florentine with the creamy gravy. She will eat ProPlan which is Purina, won't eat the Royal Canin. She won't eat the Wilderness. Seems she only likes the low price spread. Dang it. I even tried the Fresh Pet awhile back and she turned up her little pink nose at that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats