Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I've had four different female cats over the years: one black/white tabby, one gray/white tabby, one orange tabby, and a calico.

For those who have had both genders, are there any main differences in male cats than the females?

Also, right now we just have a 6-year old female (spayed) orange tabby. We'd like to get a second cat. Not sure if we should get an adult male...or a kitten of either gender...to make the quickest adjustment.

Any tips?

I'd get a male kitten to go with an adult female. JUST MHO.

Males that are neutered, at least the ones I've had, are very
friendly and accepting. Females can be too, just seems neutered males are laid back in a way females aren't...my current female is feisty, moody and can be very aggressive, with the two males here.

Again, IMO, cats of the same gender don't always get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think the one I heard about was someone giving their cat raw chicken hearts. I've given Nimbus bites of raw chicken meat when I was preparing dinner before, and he eats mainly canned food (no dry.) But mostly this has been a matter of training and reinforcing to keep him away from my countertops while I'm cooking. He only gets a "treat" if he sits in a particular spot on the floor, on the other side of the kitchen, out of the way. He loves the meat, and it has not had any ill effects on him. (But I am not sure about the state of his teeth. They look cleanish? His breath doesn't stink... *shrug* ??)

The one thing is, raw diets are considered to be the best, gold standard, by many of the nutritionists, but it's vital to follow a recipe that includes meat, organ, bone, and supplemental taurine in the right proportions. I haven't gotten into it because I don't have a grinder, or the freezer space, and I don't have much time to be preparing cat food (I barely cook for the humans!) so I go the lazy, but more expensive route, of canned food.

I've been quite tempted to buy the frozen mice you can get from the pet store (meant for feeding snakes, I think) and giving them to the cat, but I have this thought that he'd eat part of it and I'd find the rest behind the sofa...so I don't.

O-M-G that was so funny! Loved reading how your cat is trained for his treats, congratulations!

Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I fed chicken hearts, when I could find them. They were sold in a package mixed with gizzards, and I would mix some into a batch of raw food. The cats loved the hearts but wouldn't eat the gizzards.

My understanding is that taurine is naturally present in raw meat, so no supplement is needed if the meat is fed raw. I think cooking is what destroys or somehow modifies the taurine, to a certain degree or percentage, which is why extra is added before cooking, so that some will survive the processing to be ingested by the cat.

Gizzards and hearts is a great idea, thank you! If my cat doesn't like the gizzards, that's ok, because I love them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats