Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:58 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times

Advertisements

No, no, and no. My backyard is in chain link to keep big dogs in. I'm not in any way inclined to attempt to cat-proof the fence.

The house cats are house cats because one wouldn't go out the door if the house was on fire. The other one has a titanium pin in its hip from when one of the horses accidentally stepped on it years ago. Meaning, I Have too much $$$ in that cat to let him outside.

I'm not babysitting house cats in a backyard adventure. I have senior horses who need my time a lot more. The house cats can continue to sit on any number of window ledges and dream about mutilating all the birds, squirrels, and lizards they see outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
When I adopted my two boys Jax and Zeek from my friend they were indoors and will stay that way. So many cats roaming in the hood I often hear cats fighting, then there is the dogs, cars, coyotes, bad neighbors (man behind me doesn't like cats), bugs, mosquitos,birds of prey ect. Too many dangers.

Also the fact that my two are super super friendly, they have never known mean people or feral cats and such and even though my boys are really big cats I worry they would get hurt.

I bought two cat condos which they love, I play with them some everyday when I get home, feathers, laser light and such. the best thing they play with each other so they get some exercise. I can tell they want o go out sometimes because they are curious like when they see squirrels and other cats but I'm not gonna allow it. When the temps get cooler I open the window or two so they can get the sounds and smells of outside. Would like to get a screen lanai sometime that would be nice, the people before me turned it into a enclosed room.

The most important thing is they keep each other company, a single cat stuck indoors while I am at work all day I'm sure would get depressed.

Extra Large Cat Furniture - Molly and Friends

Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
When I adopted my kitty from my son, he was already an indoor cat and I wanted to keep him that way. I live in a townhouse with an attached garage and kitty soon discovered the garage. Every morning he cries to go "out" and he'll lie by the little vent in the garage door and watch the world go by. He takes naps in a box "house" I made for him, but his very favorite place to nap is in the foot well of my Porsche .

Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I read a long collection of posts on another forum written by cat-haters. Among other complaints, they complained about cat owners who spent large amounts of money on fancy cat litter and litter boxes. I believe those products developed when our social mores changed .... there is definitely a lot of social pressure to not permit pet cats outside. Funny, in many I hate cats rants you'll hear They go to the bathroom in a box in your house! Well, at least it's not outside where everyone can step on it.
** Litterboxes inside the house= disgusting.

** Letting the cat out to do it's business= disgusting mess in neighbors yard.

.... cat haters going to hate no mater what you do.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 8,342 times
I don't let my cat go outside. Before, when someone opens the door, he runs to outside sometimes but I give him a bath everytime he went. Nowadays, he doesn't go outside even though someone opens the door.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Now on our sixth cat in this location. 4 others prior to this location. All went outside. One in fact was a feral who never came into the house. She lived on the patio and the roof. Best pigeon control there ever was.

Present cat is good sized Maine Coon. Almost never leaves the property but he does patrol it. Got a call from our across the street neighbor about a large hostile cat in his master bath. Apparently chased neighbor cat home and through the cat door and then could not work out how to get back out.

Otherwise though he never leaves the property.

Have never lost a cat to anything. Have no doubt it could occur...but obviously it is not common.

Had a good friend who lived for a couple of decades in La Canada in the suburbs of LA (next to Pasadena). The rule there was all cats were outside and when they lost a half second to get to the garage roof the Coyotes finished the eternal cycle..Actually not bad in a way, You never had to deal with the question of the end of an old cat. There were not any. And I think many cats I have known well, including the present one...would prefer to go out in a flurry of teeth and claws.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Skyguy is mostly an indoor cat, but in the summer months he likes to go outside at night and catch mice and leave me presents. I have a kitty tube for him on our porch that is supposed to keep bigger critters out, and him safely inside. Keeping him inside at night, when he's bound and determined to go out results in him crying and yowling until we let him out.

I know the dangers for the outside cats, we lost his brother last year when he went out at night, and he never returned. I imagine some bigger critter got him, he was much more of an explorer than Skyguy is though, so I'm hoping Skyguy stays safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats