Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times

Advertisements

No. I live in the country, but I have "neighbors" down the road with at least 100 feral cats that I don't want mine getting mixed in with.

They are also both SUPER allergic to fleas, among other things. I feel bad because my one really likes the outside, but between the colony of feral cats and fleas, I just can't allow her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 11:26 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I feel that my cats may be spoiled, at least compared with other cats from cat owners I know. I have a fenced in backyard, and will routinely let all 3 of them out in the backyard to sniff and explore. I supervise them and stay outside with them the entire time. Usually we don't stay outside for more than 30 minutes. They do things like chase falling leaves, sink their claws into the grass, smell flowers and bushes, roll around on the grass, and watch birds.

At a park near my house I have seen a few people successfully walk a cat on a leash, or push a cat inside a fully enclosed pet stroller. Do you do any of these things?
If we had a fence that cats couldn't get over, I'd love to do that. Unfortunately cats have a way with most fences.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
No we do not, they are indoor only,but have lots of toys & things to play with ( including my legs ) We used to let one of the older cats in the back yard, but she has since passed. She liked to go out, after we had a rainfall. She never stayed out for more thna a few minutes.

Hubby is talking about screening in, our deck, so they could go out there, it is a covered deck, as big as a room, but I don't see him doing that in the next few months

Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I grew up with cats that went outdoors. After enduring an awful flea infestation, losing beloved cats to disease and cars, and losing sleep over cats that didn't come home for days or who came home injured, I decided it's just not worth it. Since graduating college, all of my cats have been indoor-only.

However, I have given serious thought to getting a kitten, training it to a leash, and taking it outside with me. One time at Petsmart I met a woman who was shopping with her cat on a leash. She said they had started the training very young, and now took the cat out 2 or 3 times a week. The cat was quite confident with its tail up in the store, no fear whatsoever.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Sure. Never been an issue and even comes most of the time when I call her. Of course I would never let a un-neutered cat outside. Bonus - I almost never clean the litterbox. Of course we have few coyotes in my area although I think my cat would just climb a tree if she encountered one.

Note: that with today's flea/tick medicine there is no issue with bugs.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:44 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I live in a condo, and part of the attraction of this one was that it has a fenced-in patio/garden area, maybe 12' X 20', out back. I had four cats when I moved here, and on nice days I opened the sliding door and let them out for a bit, but usually only when I was either out there or in the room where the door is.

This was taken three years ago in my garden. I only have one left. My favorite cat of all time, the gray tabby on her back, left me two years ago. I still have Blackjack, the boy playing with her.

Note the little piece of plastic fencing near the corner. I put those in places that had a bit of a gap beneath the fence just for extra security.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Question: Do you ever let your indoor cats go outside?
Answer: Absolutely not, never, never ever. For 1,000 reasons. I've had only 5 cats in my lifetime and they all lived beautifully cared for long lives (up to 19 yrs.) healthy and safe inside their own home, and my recent adoptee will live a long time in the same way. The reasons should be obvious; first is safety. Then there are the obvious: disease, traffic, predators, being attacked, hurt and left to die alone in the woods or on the side of a road! I want no part of such. Please keep your precious pet in the house.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Only on the screened patio. The downside is they are all quite fat.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:42 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I have two indoor/outdoor, and two indoor only.

It is absolutely in my indoor/outdoor cats' natures to be outdoors, and they have been extremely unhappy when I have kept them cooped up, and they will let me know it via inappropriate elimination or any other destructive means necessary.

I tried with my eldest for many years, and endured an unhappy cat darting out doorways as often as he could. When we moved from an apartment to our current home over 10 years ago, I finally let him go. He is now going on 16 years old and most people who hear that are completely shocked, they think he is about 8 or 9. He spends most of his outdoor time lounging on his cushion on my porch bench or hiding behind the rosemary hedge, but I know he explores some. I do worry about him, but this is what is best for him and us. Life includes risk.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:18 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
We keep our two cats inside, but live in FL now and have a lanai with a screened pool cage; basically a big catio. The cats are free to go out during the day, the younger loves it, trying to catch the occasional small lizard that gets in. Our older cat is not interested, even though she was a semi-feral outside cat we rescued years ago. I thought for sure she would like it, but no, she’s content inside. When the sun goes down, unless I’m outside too, I bring the cat in as there are coyote and bobcat around.

Look for the ears
Attachment 204569

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats