Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Let the vet know about his not eating. If appropriate they will give him an appetite stimulant. Benadryl will make him lethargic and sleepy.

Do you need to have a recheck at the vet??
He was just there on Tuesday morning. I know he isn't eating because he is so congested. The benadryl helped a little, as did shutting him in the bathroom for a while with a steamy shower running. He actually stayed in the bathroom for a 1/2 hour after I opened the door. I'll do that again tonight.

I know I need to be patient and let the antibiotics/supplement start working. But I also know his age isn't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
He was just there on Tuesday morning. I know he isn't eating because he is so congested. The benadryl helped a little, as did shutting him in the bathroom for a while with a steamy shower running. He actually stayed in the bathroom for a 1/2 hour after I opened the door. I'll do that again tonight.

I know I need to be patient and let the antibiotics/supplement start working. But I also know his age isn't helping.

True, it's harder for sick, older cats and people to throw off illnesses that others recover from easily.

Is she any better at all?

Thinking of you, we cat people know how hard it is when they are sick.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
True, it's harder for sick, older cats and people to throw off illnesses that others recover from easily.

Is she any better at all?

Thinking of you, we cat people know how hard it is when they are sick.
He ate very little this morning. I shut him in our office with a variety of food items, in the hopes that he would discover later. My husband works from home most days, which makes me feel a little better that he won't be alone. I'll see how he is tonight. If I need to I could pick up some Hills A/D from the vet tomorrow. I'm not crazy about prescription food, but it's very palatable and he needs to eat something.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM

I had a non eating cat recently...after a day of not eating or drinking, I gave him canned tuna and he started back.

But that's just one example, depends on what's wrong. Mine had inflammation of the pancrea, a mild flare up.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I had a non eating cat recently...after a day of not eating or drinking, I gave him canned tuna and he started back.

But that's just one example, depends on what's wrong. Mine had inflammation of the pancrea, a mild flare up.
Benny does not eat many human foods, which leaves me little to try. I'm going to get a rotisserie chicken because he'll sometimes eat the skin. I've tried a dab of butter, chicken baby food, and warming up canned food. No go. I've tried dabbing a tiny bit on his nose or lip to get him a taste.

I did call my husband and learned that he ate some dry food. Not ideal (we feed wet food) but it's something for now. And he was going to give him a steaming session in the bathroom this afternoon.

The things we do for our kitties.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Another update: Unfortunately, I think the antibiotics are making Benny vomit. I have a call into the vet now to see how I should handle that.

However, he did eat some food on his own this morning! I consider that good news, even with some vomiting.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Another update: Unfortunately, I think the antibiotics are making Benny vomit. I have a call into the vet now to see how I should handle that.

However, he did eat some food on his own this morning! I consider that good news, even with some vomiting.

Let us know....good he ate something.

I meant tuna for cats....in the canned section.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Finally heard back from the vet. Skip tonight's dose and try tomorrow morning AFTER he eats some food (both times he's vomited it's been empty stomach) and if he still vomits I can call back in the morning.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Finally heard back from the vet. Skip tonight's dose and try tomorrow morning AFTER he eats some food (both times he's vomited it's been empty stomach) and if he still vomits I can call back in the morning.
Fingers crossed he's able to eat...

Old 10-12-2018, 04:54 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope it works out. Yay on eating anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats