Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 AM

281 posts, read 247,394 times

Advertisements

I think I have a bored cat on my hand here, and I don't know what to do. I played with him for 5 minutes in the morning with cat wand, then go to work. He stayed at home with my dad and followed him around. I played with him again for 5 minutes after work and then another 5 minutes before bed, followed by 5 minutes of hair brushing and petting. But he seems to constantly asking for more attention, following us around and meowing . But he refused to play with the cat wand or run after a ball anymore after 5 minutes. What else can I do? What do you do with your cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
Does he have a cat tree to sit on and climb? Ours love to perch in ours and watch us (or look out the window).

Try a puzzle toy with food inside that you can set out before you leave for work (you can make one for free out of a empty plastic bottle--google it). Rotate the toys and boxes you leave out to make things more interesting.

Some cats just want to interact with you and not necessarily play. Will he sit in your laps, be pet, get brushing? Does he like being talked to you while you are home?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM

281 posts, read 247,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Does he have a cat tree to sit on and climb? Ours love to perch in ours and watch us (or look out the window).

Try a puzzle toy with food inside that you can set out before you leave for work (you can make one for free out of a empty plastic bottle--google it). Rotate the toys and boxes you leave out to make things more interesting.

Some cats just want to interact with you and not necessarily play. Will he sit in your laps, be pet, get brushing? Does he like being talked to you while you are home?

Thank you for your response Rene. He doesn't sit in my lap but he likes to be where we are at. Perhaps he is just a talkative cat like you suggested. He does have 2 cat trees, 3 scratching post, and a food puzzle.

I am thinking of getting him a cat friend, but I don't have the mean to right now.

If there is anything else you do with your cat, let me know.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:20 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,195,111 times
I have a male cat that, no matter how much I play with him, or how much attention I give him, or how many toys-cat trees-amusements I provide, he still follows me around and is very vocal, meowing a lot, especially after I turn off the lights at night to go to bed (no, he's NOT Siamese). He especially doesn't like "lights off" time and will yowl for 5-10 minutes before he gives up and comes to bed.

He even has a female kitty in the house also, but still is bored often. This cat is exceptionally smart and likes to play complex games, so I see why he's bored often. He just needs a lot of mental stimulation. He gets to go out on the screened-in patio if I'm home and weather permits, and really loves to hang out there on a tall cat tree just being in nature.

My other cat, the female, is not really a game player, doesn't ever seem bored, and is content to just "be". She doesn't like being outside on the patio much. Pretty much one of those maintenance-free cats. But the little dude.... quite another story. They do play together at night, but less and less the older they get.

I think you just may have a guy like mine. A talker and will be your little shadow. That's just how some cats are. But don't think that by getting another, this will solve his issues. Mine were adopted together as young ones, but still he needs a lot of extra attention and "guidance". He gets into mischief at times and I have to let him know what is and isn't okay. Sometimes I see the little female watching his antics with a snide, "you're ridiculous" look on her little face! Together, they are the perfect mixture of angel/devil. Guess which he is?

That said, it may help a bit for him to have a mate to hang with. I think cats do better overall with another animal companion. Some of the best of friends I've seen were a dog-cat combo.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 09-17-2018 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 09:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
You can see if he likes “cat TV” like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpDIGgePCM

Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Or, better yet, put a bird feeder outside your window with a cat perch in front of it. Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Bored Cat-bird-feeder.jpg  

Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcIsnOyEZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TatVcmixm_M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats