Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

There's this cat that's been in my neighborhood since I moved here almost 4 years ago. Never caused issues until about a year ago. The past year I see him outside my window a lot in my yard, just near my house. He just stares down my indoor cat and she gets all wild and acts weird. Not really a big deal but now he has started spraying my house. Noticed he sprayed my front door and my cat was going crazy this morning acting all weird. She is fixed but he obviously isn't.

What can I do to get this cat to not spray my house? I think it's somebodies cat in the neighborhood but I'm not sure who because he's really fat and pretty well groomed etc...

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 01-02-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
same thing going on here. I spent big bucks on an igloo shelter in hopes that a feral tuxie I have been feeding would use it in these frigid temps we're having. The neighbor's cat decided to spray it.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
There's this cat that's been in my neighborhood since I moved here almost 4 years ago. Never caused issues until about a year ago. The past year I see him outside my window a lot in my yard, just near my house. He just stares down my indoor cat and she gets all wild and acts weird. Not really a big deal but now he has started spraying my house. Noticed he sprayed my front door and my cat was going crazy this morning acting all weird. She is fixed but he obviously isn't.

What can I do to get this cat to not spray my house? I think it's somebodies cat in the neighborhood but I'm not sure who because he's really fat and pretty well groomed etc...
The best, and most difficult, solution would be to trap-neuter-release the cat. And if he belongs to someone... tough, so be it. I recall on the My Cat From Hell tv show, Jackson Galaxy came up with some motion activated air canisters (I think) to scare away neighborhood strays causing the same problem. Don't know how feasible that would be for you, but anything would be better than the Smith & Wesson solution already suggested. Good luck to you OP.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I agree with catdad (of course.) The best solution is to snatch the cat and have it neutered. Bring it home to your house and care for it for a day to make sure that it is healing well, then release it to go back to its owners if it wants. Good for the cat, good for the neighborhood - a win win!

Old 01-02-2018, 02:19 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I definitely am not going to shoot! Trap and neuter is really not an option I'd like to pursue either. I just don't have the time or energy for all that and certainly can't keep it in my house a few days while it gets back to health. I'll look into the motion sensor suggestion and I also read about spraying something like bitter yuck outside to keep it away.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Trap it, and call animal control....let them deal with it. If the owner really gave a rats a$$ about the cat, it would not be roaming the neighborhood. A loose cat is no better than a loose dog....shouldn't be allowed.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:00 PM

457 posts, read 497,358 times
I've never used the air canister with motion detectors, but I do know canned air works very well in general to deter negative behavior in my house.

I have, however, used this product when I had major behavioral issues when the furry children were much younger and undisciplined.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-scatma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't know how much money you're willing to spend, but it is an option.
It is humane and I've tested it myself. It doesn't hurt, but it certainly deters.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
I spray my front door with diluted vinegar. Not only does it stop the neighborhood cats from spraying my door, it gets rid of the odor.

PS A spayed/neutered cat can still spray.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I had a friend with a koi pond and her husband was almost in tears when she came home from work because there was a heron and no koi. In the end, it turned out the koi were hiding in the bottom of the pond and the heron might have gotten one, but not all. It was a small pond, so they got a motion-activated water sprayer.

The vinegar idea above sounds fine except for the effect it will eventually have on your paint. But I think there are deterrents you can buy and I've heard you can put your own cat's used litter or poop out there as a deterrent. You don't need much, just enough for the interloper cat to smell so he knows the property is claimed.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

The vinegar idea above sounds fine except for the effect it will eventually have on your paint. .
I sprayed the screen door and then wiped it down. No paint issues. The smell stays, long after it is dry. The neighborhood cats never sprayed my door again.

If you are worried, do a test spot first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats