Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Keep an eye on his poop too. He may have swallowed something he shouldn't, and it may pass through. Sounds gross, but you might want to break his poops open to see what's inside for a few days, especially any that look odd.
He hasn't pooped since some time Monday.

I will say that he just at about 2/3 of a teaspoon of the food the vet sent home with him. Doesn't sound like a lot but it was enough to get me excited! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Aww. Well they tried to get Charlie to eat some food while he was there and of course he wouldn't do it. He jumped on my lap and got as close to me as possible.

I have never met this vet before. Apparently most of the vets there are retiring and they are bringing in 3 new vets. Our vet was out today.

Anyway... she examined him and he did not seem to be in any pain and didn't seem terribly dehydrated. Maybe a touch.

She gave him fluids and a shot of medicine for nausea. She told me to keep an eye on him and watch for him getting worse or very lethargic and watching his bathroom behaviors. She wants me to give him this a/d cat food heated up to see if he will eat that.

Bring him back in if he worsens. I will say that he looks like he is feeling better. I will let everyone know how he is doing.

I moved his neuter out a month. Hopefully that will be ok. He turned 6 months 2 days ago.

As far as I am concerned, I have bilateral carpal tunnel, left>right to add to all of my other medical illnesses.

Yep, I passed this mornings test but I failed one I took last Thursday. I was horribly sick and questioned even going in. I should have stayed home and just done a make-up exam. Oh well, we can drop one grade in that class, I guess it will be that one.

I'll be keeping a close eye on little Charlie.....
Thank you for the update. If he won't eat the a/d you might try a bit of meat flavored baby food and/or a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt. They are bland, will provide a bit of moisture in his belly, and won't hurt him a bit. I have given that menu to Ralphie many times (Ralphie has IBS and has since kittenhod) - sometimes just an upset tummy happens. Willie did just what Charlie is doing now - when he was only about 10 weeks old. He wasn't acting "right" one night so I took him to the emergency vet - and other than a bit of a temp they could find nothing wrong. In the litterbox about 2 days later, I found a rather tiny "log" with a piece of sisal rope string (from one of the cat trees) sticking out of it - and miraculously - Willie was back to normal that same morning. It HAD to be him....it would not have shown up on any x-ray, but it must have been irritating him just enough that he was having a bit of trouble getting it up or down. I hope for Charlie that it turns out to be as simple as that...would be great. His waiting an extra month for his neuter shouldn't hurt a thing, and will give him a chance to be feeling better too.
As for you - is there anything that can be done to help your CT besides surgery? Any therapy or perhaps bracing it for a while? Repetitive movement is the usual cause - and one of my good friends back in Ohio ended up having a surgical fix done - one hand at a time. She was very much improved afterwards.
As we get older we just tend to coast off the freeway over to the break-down lane a little farther each year!! I haven't totally run off the road yet, but some days it just seems easier to pick a nice firm target and aim carefully!!! You take care of yourself and that adorable lil' furry guy.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I know no food = no poop, but I'd REALLY keep an eye on him, in case something is stuck in his tract somewhere. If he gets more lethargic, doesn't start eating more by tomorrow, I think he needs an xray. I'm speaking as the mom of a cat that thinks everything is food. Also, once in a while a large hairball can get stuck in the digestive tract too. If and when he does poop, check it out.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Back to not wanting food. =(

Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope everything turns out ok, for both of you.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I'm surprised the vet hasn't done an x ray yet. You need to know what's going on inside. All paws crossed for Charlie.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Back to not wanting food. =(

Hmmmm.....this is worrisome to me. Maybe because of what I just went through with Jack - but I'm inclined to want an x-ray at this point to see of anything is amiss in there. I think the not knowing is worse than the knowing, IMHO anyways. You do know him best...and I know you'll make your own choice. Got my paws crossed for good news about your lil' cutie-pie. Hope he feels better SOON!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM

He has eaten about 3 tiny bites of food today. He pooped one little bit last night and has peed 2x since the last time I mentioned what he has done. I am going to give the vet a call and see what they think.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM

Charlie is getting an xray, stool sample, and more fluids. Seems like she thinks he has gotten used to not eating and has "forgotten" how to eat normally. I am supposed to be arriving at my anatomy class right now. I e mailed my professor the situation. Hopefully he is an animal lover and understands.

One suspicious area she is worried about and wants me to bring him I tomorrow for another xray....

Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Charlie is getting an xray, stool sample, and more fluids. Seems like she thinks he has gotten used to not eating and has "forgotten" how to eat normally. I am supposed to be arriving at my anatomy class right now. I e mailed my professor the situation. Hopefully he is an animal lover and understands.

One suspicious area she is worried about and wants me to bring him I tomorrow for another xray....

Hmmm....who forgets to eat??? I'm really worried - sending healing thoughts to you two!! Hope your professor understands - technically you are involved in an anatomy lesson - it just happens to be a kitty though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats