Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Sushi is a 19 pound Tonkinese, about 5 years old. He's not the least bit fat, but a breed that has dense and heavy muscle tissue. He is a glutton, however, and will eat anything even remotely edible....boiled cabbage, bread, sesame seeds, pie, you name it. He'd be happy eating eight meals a day, supplemented with Temptations cat crack.
Since Friday, he's only been picking at his food. A lick for breakfast and a bite for supper. It's not like him at all. I'm a nurse, not a vet. I can't find anything overtly wrong with him. No lumps, no bites, no fever, he's peeing and moving his bowels. His behaviour is unchanged...he's playing, purring, grooming himself, etc. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Have any you experienced cats that just stop eating for a few days?
He's strictly an indoor cat and only goes outside on a ten foot leash in the yard.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 08-13-2013 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sushi is a 19 pound Tonkinese, about 5 years old. He's not the least bit fat, but a breed that has dense and heavy muscle tissue. He is a glutton, however, and will eat anything even remotely edible....boiled cabbage, bread, sesame seeds, pie, you name it. He'd be happy eating eight meals a day, supplemented with Temptations cat crack.
Since Friday, he's only been picking at his food. A lick for breakfast and a bite for supper. It's not like him at all. I'm a nurse, not a vet. I can't find anything overtly wrong with him. No lumps, no bites, no fever, he's peeing and moving his bowels. His behaviour is unchanged...he's playing, purring, grooming himself, etc. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Have any you experienced cats that just stop eating for a few days?
He's strictly an indoor cat and only goes outside on a ten foot leash in the yard.
Short answer- no, not without there being a problem. Looks like he's throwing up a red flag, so you might want to get him to the Vet & checked out. About the only 'stopped eating' incident I've had with mine was one of my females developed a lesion inside her mouth that made it very painful to eat. My vet removed it with laser surgery, and she hasn't had a problem since.
Hope your guy doesn't have anything serious going on.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Poor baby. Take him to the vet to see what's going on. Not eating can be a sign of something more serious.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Damn, I just paid a massive dental bill for myself. When I have money, I'll stop at nothing if a pet needs vet care, but at the moment, I'm completely tapped out. The last time I had a cat need diagnostics it came to about a thousand bucks. MRI, X-Rays and blood work. The kicker was, they still weren't sure what was wrong with Couscous after all that. He just spontaneously bounced back after IVs for dehydration.
In any case, it looks like he may be improving a bit. He had about a tablespoon of haddock and some corn on the cob, one of his favorite foods.
He's acting perfectly normal. It's a puzzler. I'm stumped.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM

If he doesn't continue to improve, I'll take him in. He still eats his cat crack. I'll borrow money if I have to.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Have you checked his teeth? He might have a cracked or infected tooth.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Change in eating habits (usually it's eating less) is often one of the only visible signs you'll have something is wrong because of how cats hide pain and illness. If the rest of behavior seems normal it may not be severe, but I'm concerned that it's already been 4 days with the severely reduced food intake. It is a significant enough change that probably something is wrong. Unless you're seeing a continued turnaround with the eating I would say you should take him in sooner rather than later. Bad timing, I know. With any luck he is okay and nothing serious.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Change in eating habits (usually it's eating less) is often one of the only visible signs you'll have something is wrong because of how cats hide pain and illness. If the rest of behavior seems normal it may not be severe, but I'm concerned that it's already been 4 days with the severely reduced food intake. It is a significant enough change that probably something is wrong. Unless you're seeing a continued turnaround with the eating I would say you should take him in sooner rather than later. Bad timing, I know. With any luck he is okay and nothing serious.
Really bad timing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll continue to improve. Maybe he ate something bad from the garbage. He loves stealing food from the trash. He once stole and ate a half pound of butter and another time got sick from eating my son's hair putty.
I'll check his teeth tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Just watch him for a few days, cats have little bugs, like we get, and sometimes they perk right back up. Lucky did that some years ago, he started just laying around. I took him to the vet and they found nothing and did nothing but a few days later he was right back to being himself.

If he is still playful that is a good sign, but you are right to be concerned about his not eating normally.

Don

Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM

He ate half a small can of food overnight, which is an improvement, although still nowhere near what he used to eat.
Right now he's flying up and down the stairs, leaping from windowsill to windowsill, yelling at the birds and squirrels to get the hell off his lawn. He played a vigorous game of hide and seek this morning.
I checked his teeth to the extent that he allowed it. They seemed fine, aside from a little gingivitis which he had before. It's a mystery. I'm really hoping it's bug and will resolve itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats