Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

I lost a kitty this year to inflammatory bowel disease (which may also have been lymphoma), but with medication and watching her food, I got an additional six months with her. I gave her the turkey and chicken baby food for the last two months or so of her life on my vet's advice. She wanted to eat, but would vomit up anything else and had constant diarrhea. She was still pretty active, though, so, even though she was losing so much weight, at least I knew she was getting something that she could keep down. When she stopped eating the baby food, I knew it was the end. She died three days after stopping eating or drinking water.

There is also this "high calorie booster" stuff that comes in a tube that I got at Pet Smart. For a while she would eat a spoonful or so of that every day in addition to whatever else she was eating before I started with the baby food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
I'm going to try the sardines but I also found out you can buy an 11 ounce jar of duck fat for about $8 on Amazon. 130 calories to the tablespoon and my kitty loves duck, generally speaking.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maalvi View Post
I'm going to try the sardines but I also found out you can buy an 11 ounce jar of duck fat for about $8 on Amazon. 130 calories to the tablespoon and my kitty loves duck, generally speaking.
The duck fat will be grease, it is rendered fat. Be very cautious about the amount you give, you want to avoid pancreatitis. I did not read to see if your cat is on a special diets. / consideration, I have use this and it went over very well. Maybe it wil help? I feed raw so mine get sardines on occasion. To avoid salt it but the sardines in tomatoe sause, and rinse them off.

https://smile.amazon.com/SynergyLabs...te+dr+Richards

Are you "just trying to entice"?

Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
No I'm trying to boost calories without increasing volume. She Raya a reasonable amount every day. It may isn't calorie-fence enough for berry to gain weight. I figured if I give her a li'l of the duck fat every day, it would just be enough extra calories to start gaining, even if it has to be slowly.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Booty
19 yrs old still active, fussy eater, vet put him on thyroid men's, and a histamine, appetite increased, will eat @a/d critical care, Sheba, fancy feast, but have to rotate for a variety in taste, little dude weighs 6 lbs, but happy and hanging in there!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
Default constipation/spinal fracture

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. Does your cat have constipation associated with the fracture? I also have a cat who is around 13, he was a feral cat who decided to adopt us. We seem to be a magnet for strays, we have a total of six now, at one time there were 9, all house cats. Anyway back to Shadow who has the fracture. After I noticed he was having problems going #2 I took him to the vet, they just said he was constipated and kept him for some enema treatments. After he was home I again had to take him back into the vet, I asked for an X-ray. The results showed he has an old spine fracture which is causing nerve problems, which is why he has a potty problem. He is on Lactulose to help bring water into his gut, and also Cisapride for constipation. He can only have wet canned food, which I add extra water to. Both meds are in liquid form, the Lactulose is very sticky like corn syrup, so I just ad it to his food, the Cisapride is tuna flavored and I just squirt it in his mouth. We still have some bad days of constipation, but I just really have to keep a close eye on him. Good luck to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats