Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
She is now nearing her third birthday. Black as coal and smart as can be, with a beautiful shiny coat and piercing golden eyes. Still tiny - the smallest adult cat I think I've seen. She loves climbing trees and purring in my lap.
Now that's another story that renews my faith in mankind. I hope you both have a long time, many happy years together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
This is what came into my house one cold, rainy March Sunday...they were up against my neighbors house and he didn't want to deal with them. The vet guesstimated them at about 5-6 weeks old (closer to 6) when we took them all in that afternoon. The mom ran from everyone that tried to catch her, when we walked out to get the kittens, she waltzed right up to my wife and curled up in her lap as I boxed these guys up. We still have her plus 4 of these, this was oh, 4 or 5 years ago at this point?
She had 6 kittens!!!!!! Wow, she must have been well cared for by her last owners or she was an excellent hunter. Thank you for keeping so many of them.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
She had 6 kittens!!!!!! Wow, she must have been well cared for by her last owners or she was an excellent hunter. Thank you for keeping so many of them.
She was 6lbs and scrawny as hell when we brought them in, she had more bones than I'd have liked to see. Was still trying to nurse on top of that too. Once she got a few good meals in her, the weeniecats were all over her. Fur was a mess too, I felt bad when we sent her to the groomers to get her cleaned up.

I have very little respect for her last owners, if only for the fact that she's scared to absolute death of brooms. My wife went to sweep the kitchen while she was in there...she couldn't get traction on the floor and slid all over the place bouncing off cabinets trying to get away. It took awhile for her to figure out that we were safe to be around with a broom. I'm not entirely convinced her last owners didn't either put her out when she got pregnant or put her out because they didn't want her/had to move. Either way, I couldn't care any less about them.

We hadn't intended to keep that many, we actually put them up for adoption through a rescue. But, they were so infested with parasites, it was a long, long time before we could actually put them up, and then no one wanted kittens, much less black ones (two of the kittens were as pitch black as they came, as was the momma). Once our vet figured out they had a parasite that the rescues vet missed, we were on the mend. By that time, it was too late - I got attached and we just wound up keeping them in the end. They'd ingraned themselves pretty well into our daily routine

Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
The poem actually made me smile. Because, at least for a moment, the kitten was loved. The little one deserved a whole life of love, but at least the one last memory was sheer joy.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
She was 6lbs and scrawny as hell when we brought them in, she had more bones than I'd have liked to see. Was still trying to nurse on top of that too. Once she got a few good meals in her, the weeniecats were all over her. Fur was a mess too, I felt bad when we sent her to the groomers to get her cleaned up.
Yet the poor thing managed to keep 6 kitten alive.

Quote:
I have very little respect for her last owners, if only for the fact that she's scared to absolute death of brooms. My wife went to sweep the kitchen while she was in there...she couldn't get traction on the floor and slid all over the place bouncing off cabinets trying to get away. It took awhile for her to figure out that we were safe to be around with a broom. I'm not entirely convinced her last owners didn't either put her out when she got pregnant or put her out because they didn't want her/had to move. Either way, I couldn't care any less about them.
What I meant was she had to have been well fed to conceive 6 kittens that survived. Yes, I agree they probably dumped her when they realized she was pregnant. They probably already have another cat they will dump as soon as something comes up. Or it's possible she wandered off and became lost. That happens too.

Quote:
We hadn't intended to keep that many, we actually put them up for adoption through a rescue. But, they were so infested with parasites, it was a long, long time before we could actually put them up, and then no one wanted kittens, much less black ones (two of the kittens were as pitch black as they came, as was the momma). Once our vet figured out they had a parasite that the rescues vet missed, we were on the mend. By that time, it was too late - I got attached and we just wound up keeping them in the end. They'd ingraned themselves pretty well into our daily routine
Yes, I know how that goes....

Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
The poem actually made me smile. Because, at least for a moment, the kitten was loved. The little one deserved a whole life of love, but at least the one last memory was sheer joy.
That is one way of looking at it. It died in the hands of someone who cared......

Old 05-16-2013, 12:56 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Yet the poor thing managed to keep 6 kitten alive.

What I meant was she had to have been well fed to conceive 6 kittens that survived. Yes, I agree they probably dumped her when they realized she was pregnant. They probably already have another cat they will dump as soon as something comes up. Or it's possible she wandered off and became lost. That happens too.

Yes, I know how that goes....
It's funny...a couple people tried to catch her before they came to us. She was having none of it from anyone, she'd run like the wind. I told my wife to watch out for her when I went out to get the kittens because I wasn't really in the mood to get bit. How very little I knew then. When I went out to get the kittens, the momma kinda hovered on the periphery, then I guess she figured out I was good people, because she walked up to my wife and started rubbing all over her legs. As soon as she leaned down, Momma was in her lap so fast it wasn't funny. My wife has pictures of Momma belly-up for me when I was putting down paper and food for them in a bathroom the day we brought them all in. Now that my two seniors are gone, she's a much more affectionate cat (not that she wasn't beforehand, she just kinda bowed to the older ones, so to speak). Not too long after we had the second one put to sleep, I laid down in bed one night, turned my head and was eating fur...she'd jumped up and curled up next to me where "my" senior used to sleep, next to my head. It was probably a half hour, 45 minutes of scratching and tummy rubbing before she simmered down. Was a bit surprising, really, as she'd been in the house for 4 years by that point. The weeniecats are something else though. Our "smaller" all black one is a daddys girl - if I'm sitting in my chair in the office, far more often than not she's sacked out in my lap. Makes for a wicked leg cramp when she's been there awhile and I don't want to move. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would have tossed her/them out, but I digress. They're far better off with us, and that's all that matters.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
........... I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would have tossed her/them out, but I digress. They're far better off with us, and that's all that matters.
You can say that again. How fortunate they are to have crossed your path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats