Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Old thread and I don't know when it re-started, and I haven't delved too far back in the responses, but...as an alternative to de-clawing, do fellow cat-owners find that trimming nails on a regular basis is effective?

When I think of "de-clawing," I think the purpose behind it is to limit the cat's destructiveness of furniture and other shreddable items, and perhaps to keep it from climbing. Also, of course, cat claws are sharp!

When I got Olivia, I knew I didn't want to de-claw her, but at the same time, I WAS worried for my possessions. The vet suggested that I handle her paws regularly and trim her claws, which is what I do. Every weekend, I nudge her out of a doze and, while she's languorous, snip the tips off all her claws. She DOES pick at the carpet a little (but never in the same spot), but she does not claw the furniture. She does TRY to climb the drapes, so we've had to ball them up to lift them off the ground.

Long story short, I've been really pleased -- knock on wood -- with how effective claw-trimming has been for us. (It also helps that she's just sweet as can be and doesn't scratch me ever. Good kitty.)
Well done you!

Yes nail trimming helps, as does providing lots of appropriate places to scratch. Cats NEED to scratch it is part of their....being. It's exercise, it's territorial marking, it's stress relief, it's communication.

Providing adequate scratching furniture, adequate places for kitty to climb and jump, and adequate interactive play time (to prevent boredom) and keeping the tips snipped off..done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Trimming nails is great. If I'd had mine when they were little I'd have trained them to let me. I am lucky that providing a good vertical and horizontal scratching post works. Every now and then one will start to stretch the couch. One of them all I do it say 'Hey - please don't do that' He looks at me with wide eyes, retracts his claws, and walks away. too cute. The other one I just say NO!' He's like ok, alright, keep your shorts on.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Trimming nails is great. If I'd had mine when they were little I'd have trained them to let me. I am lucky that providing a good vertical and horizontal scratching post works. Every now and then one will start to stretch the couch. One of them all I do it say 'Hey - please don't do that' He looks at me with wide eyes, retracts his claws, and walks away. too cute. The other one I just say NO!' He's like ok, alright, keep your shorts on.
Loved your cats' different reactions! Isn't it great how expressive they are? Now I have to go give Fiona some extra chin scritches, Just Because.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Loved your cats' different reactions! Isn't it great how expressive they are? Now I have to go give Fiona some extra chin scritches, Just Because.
lol. Yes, thye can communicate very well. The sweet one seems like what? oh, you don't like this? I sorry. I take the claws back really careful, mkay? See? I didn't hurt it ......

Before him I never knew I could be really polite. Would you please not do that? works. Or sometimes just saying his name. He knows I'm about to say will you please not do that? I guess.

The dog is the same. When I want her off the couch I say 'I'm sorry, but I need you to .....' now she gets down at 'I'm sorry ......'

Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
I'm surprised at how effective simply trimming my cat's claws is in preventing his ability to damage upholstery or deliver a painful scratch. He's a young male and fairly aggressive. He truly sounds like a killer when I take him to the Vet. But, I'm the only other living thing in the house, so he plays with me and that often involves the claws. When it gets painful, I get out the clippers.

I do notice that he's not quite as agile in his cat tower antics.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
The few most recent posts to this thread clearly illustrate my main argument against declawing (besides it being mutilation of the cat), that it is, in reality, totally unnecessary. Declawing is a way for someone to have a cat, and undamaged furniture, without having to put out any effort. Claw trimming, scratching & climbing furniture, training, etc., all require a level of involvement by the resident human. No doubt some declawing is requested/done out of ignorance, but I suspect many times it is done out of laziness. It's much easier to write a check, than train a cat.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 PM

853 posts, read 648,144 times
Interesting topic. I am aware of my cat's claws but we think is not fair to get rid of our cat's claws. However, maybe is not such cruel to cut her claws occasionally. How often we do need to cut her claws? Thank you!

Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Interesting topic. I am aware of my cat's claws but we think is not fair to get rid of our cat's claws. However, maybe is not such cruel to cut her claws occasionally. How often we do need to cut her claws? Thank you!
You can trim the super-sharp tips off once a week. (Or at least, once a week works for me and my kitty.) You don't want to trim too short, lest you get up in the quick.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The few most recent posts to this thread clearly illustrate my main argument against declawing (besides it being mutilation of the cat), that it is, in reality, totally unnecessary. Declawing is a way for someone to have a cat, and undamaged furniture, without having to put out any effort. Claw trimming, scratching & climbing furniture, training, etc., all require a level of involvement by the resident human. No doubt some declawing is requested/done out of ignorance, but I suspect many times it is done out of laziness. It's much easier to write a check, than train a cat.
I can't stress enough, from my experience, to have multiple options for scratching. I haven't dealt with scratching in a very long time. It took a while for my stupid brain to realize they like the horizontal scratching things, but REALLY wanted a good vertical one.

Everything is fine now they have both

And one of them, I had to act like a cat, crawl up to it, and scratch like a cat on it. Otherwise he seemed to have no idea what it was for. That was funny and it did work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats