Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
DECLAWED WITHOUT PAIN MEDS - City the Kitty - Official

Read and share..all the rest of City The Kitty's posts too. If you can stomach it. The brutality and horror is never ending. And it's all legal in the USA and Canada.

The list of vets who will not declaw is growing but it's not enough. This must end.
OK, I watched that disturbing mess.
NONE of my declawed cats have EVER acted like that! NONE of them!
Another fine example of "NOT ALWAYS true!"
As for me being "closed minded", the same could be said about some others on this thread!
You know who you are, I don't have to point fingers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
It may not always be true, I can't say. But people don't know until afterwards if it will be true for their cat or not. It's a chance I certainly wouldn't take.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,816,256 times
I am against declawing. I have seen it done. They do amputate the tips of the toes, and it is painful when first done. I used to work for a vet and took care of many post-declawing kitties. Anyone who says it's not painful in the beginning is lying.

I'd never do it to a cat.

That said, I do also believe that once done and healed, cats can certainly adapt to life without their claws, as evidenced by Redraven's experiences.

And I think the kitty in that video is in the stages of recovery from the general anesthesia, she's falling like that because she's woozy, not necessarily because she can't stand because of the pain.

But they should be sent home with pain meds for the first few days post-op, pretty cruel not to provide that for them.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
"Anyone who says it's not painful in the beginning is lying."
I haven't seen anybody say that. Anybody who has ever had any kind of surgery knows better. What the closed minded people HAVE said is that the cats are in pain forever after. I say that may be true in some instances, it certainly isn't always true.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That sums it up ouijee. There are people who do not want to admit they've caused harm to their cats. Or they actually believe the lies their greedy vets tell them.

Though, with all the evidence to the contrary these days, I really do think that people simply close their minds and deny it all, regardless of knowing that the vets are lying simply to make another big profit from cutting off their cat's toes. The vets know they are lying. They just want the money.

If Red Raven knew anything about cats s/he would know that cats hide pain until it is so extreme they are suffering in deep agony. If if RR does know this, RR knows that post is full of holes, and just likes to argue for arguing sake, or because s/he just likes to mutilate cats.

Spay and neuter are soft tissue surgeries that provide health and psychological benefits to the cat.

Declawing is amputation, 8 or 18 amputations, of the toe, bone, joint, tendon, ligament, nerves and claw, that the cat walks on.

It cripples the cat for life, forcing the cat to walk on unsupported bones that were never meant to bear weight, creating a skeletal and musculature misalignment and stress on joints that causes back and leg pain, along with the foot pain, a cat will suffer all his or her life.

The two are not comparable in any way.

Very well said catsmom21. People find a way to rationalize the process so their conscience is clear. They are unable to admit that they are wrong. So sad. The rescue I volunteer for will not adopt out cats if the adopter plans on declawing or letting the cat outside. We also hand out literature on declawing and why it is so bad.

OT* I watched 6 kittens being born last night via our nest cam for the rescue. Now that is a beautiful thing.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,419 times
I have both a declawed and non declawed cats at home... the declawed kitty was adopted like that while the non declawed one, well, we have no plans to declaw.

I understand what owners with declawed cats are talking about. My kitty, even at his old age, have never shown any sign of disability caused or contributed by his lack of front claws. He played, jumped, and never had a litterbox issue. He does bite more than a usual cat, not always out of aggression, he knows he can't grab hold of certain toys so he would scoop it into his mouth. I will not go into a debate about pain as the answer is, my cat can't confirm what I ASSUME he is going through.

My other cat had destroyed a few, minor replaceable items like curtains at the start but she is now fully trained. She has always been so good with sheathing her claws when playing with the dogs.

The distinct difference between them is that I believe, if Aiko was never declawed, he would have been a more confident cat like Freyja. I may be wrong but to watch Aiko not being able to grab unto things, like Freyja and other cats can, it doesn't feel right. So while I do not think banning the procedure is a solution, I think vets should be required to explain the surgery, risks, and offer alternative solutions to the owner before signing them up.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
If I were one to find merit in both sides of the declawing issue and were 'on the fence' about it, the simple fact that there is a debate about it at all would lead me to not do it out of an abundance of caution. The finer points of the argument aside, the main problem I have is that the reason it's usually done (protecting furniture or possessions) doesn't justify the possible long-term negative consequences. It bothers me that people would be perfectly willing to alter a cat's natural state to protect an inanimate object. It just seems wrong to me.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Anyone who says it's not painful in the beginning is lying."
I haven't seen anybody say that. Anybody who has ever had any kind of surgery knows better. What the closed minded people HAVE said is that the cats are in pain forever after. I say that may be true in some instances, it certainly isn't always true.

What you cannot seem to understand is that this is an amputation that cripples the cat. The cat is now walking on unsupported bones that were never meant to bear weight. This causes a complete misalignment in every other part of the body, and this equals chronic pain.

It doesn't matter that the cat doesn't "show it" The pain is there. Why should a cat have to live that way, simply someone because can't be bothered to provide proper scratching surfaces and train the cat to use them?

I have chronic pain in my foot, my foot has a degenerative disease. Because of this disease, I have pain all the time, not only in my foot, but in my knees, hips, back and shoulders, because my body is always trying to compensate for my messed up foot.

I lead a normal life. I don't go around moaning about my pain. I simply learn to live with it. But it's plain wrong to ask cats to live this way, above and beyond the unbelievable excruciating pain they go through when their toes are first chopped off. Their toes are chopped off and they are expected to walk on those feet immediately. And they live the rest of their lives in pain.

Whether you can "see it" or not, they are feeling it. You think your declawed cats are "fine" but you have no idea what they would be like if they hadn't been put through this cruelty. 44 countries around the world have outlawed this mutilation of cats.

Vets are coming out against it and no longer doing it, more every day. But it's not enough. It has got to end and is going to end.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:36 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Here's a list compiled by The Paw Project of vets who do not declaw, by state.

The Paw Project | Veterinarians Who Won't Declaw

Not all of these vets do repair surgery but the number of vets who know how is also growing. There are many many many cats who need repair surgery. Too many still going without it for lack of someone to do it, or the funds to pay for it. And worse, kitties' pain and the need for the surgery going unrecognized at all.

Too many. That link to a video I posted the other day is not a "one time" thing. It is happening all over the country, every day. I cannot even comprehend the mind set that is willing to cause the pain these cats are suffering, all to save a couch or a rug or curtains. It is just wrong

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-04-2016 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Declaw your cat. Mine is . She's fine and healthy . We are all happy .
People can play with her now especially kids .
It's not cruel . That is your opinion .
I got my cat declawed.
Those people saying it's cruel are just judgmental.
I'm getting another cat today and will be declawing my new indoor kitty .
BTW its front claws only .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats