Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times

Advertisements

I was home on medical for 6 weeks pretty much house bound. Now that I have returned to work, our one girl is despondent, purrs, eats, drinks, but lays around most of the time and seems down. I'm assuming it's because of the change of routine and she has gotten used to me being home 24/7, now I'm gone most of the time and my partner is the stay at home mom as before. Anybody else have this experience and how long does something like this last? I'm the neurotic one that uses my pets as a substitute for children so you can save your sarcasm "30to65at55".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Im never sarcastic. I just point out the obvious.

The answer to your question is that cats, under the circumstances you described, will stay depressed as long as they feel like it. They are cats and they do what they want.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I'm gonna agree with 30to66at55 on this one. The cat will adapt to the situation when the cat is ready to do so. As long as she doesn't stop eating or assume any other harmful behaviors, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
If the cat purrs, eats and drinks... it is not despondent.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
If the cat purrs, eats and drinks... it is not despondent.
Exactly. Not getting out of bed is a common symptom of depression in people, but even individuals in that "down" state will still take care of their life's necessities. Then again - since cats are said to pass up to 22.5 hours of each day in some state of sleep, who could tell?
Does this cat get all dog-like when you arrive home or does she stay out of sorts?
Felines can no more be pigeonholed, so to speak, into types or categories than humans should be. Weasie, Blaliko, and Seteria don't behave any differently (past tense for Weasie, RIP) when I'm away for two days or more. Their cat-sitters tell me so.
The "grrrlz" are rescued strays - mother and daughter, incidentally - so have yet to warm to very many persons besides me. Weasie OTOH had a following that numbered well into the dozens. She would've been a party girl had she been human. There were no bounds to her affection, and she grew especially fond of one cat-sitter in particular. When circumstances dictated that this woman leave our neighborhood, she rarely cat-sat any more and couldn't visit very often. Zero sense of separation or loss was let on by Weasie. Nor did she ever react when other two-footed beings she'd gotten to know moved away never to be seen again. It really does depend on the cat. And yes, she'll phase back to "normal" when she damn well pleases.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Jasper lays in bed all day. I don't think he is depressed.

But, if you feel your cat's behavior has significantly changed, I suggest an immediate vet appointment to rule out physical issues.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 PM

102 posts, read 231,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I was home on medical for 6 weeks pretty much house bound. Now that I have returned to work, our one girl is despondent, purrs, eats, drinks, but lays around most of the time and seems down. I'm assuming it's because of the change of routine and she has gotten used to me being home 24/7, now I'm gone most of the time and my partner is the stay at home mom as before. Anybody else have this experience and how long does something like this last? I'm the neurotic one that uses my pets as a substitute for children so you can save your sarcasm "30to65at55".

Cats are very sensitive and perceptive creatures . As a human its quite challenging to speculate how they internalize thoughts and whatever inferences we make of their behaviors is also a guess .
One observable feature is that any change has a significant impact on them .
As long as the cat is safe , fed, medically cared for and most importantly loved then it will adapt .

How long will vary depending on the cat and the circumstances .
It's nice to see that you care about your pet's feelings and I think its all going to be OK .

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
Thanks for the responses, after a week of laying around [big change for her, she's 3 years old and loves to race around the house and play with our other girl who is less interested and more prone to sleep all day than the cat in question] we took her to the vet, and she had injured her left paw, had a claw partially ripped out and a split in that pad, so pain much worse when walking/climbing has probably been the issue and despite us examining her paws repeatedly, we didn't catch it. Vet said she'll heal completely, no concerns.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I was home on medical for 6 weeks pretty much house bound. Now that I have returned to work, our one girl is despondent, purrs, eats, drinks, but lays around most of the time and seems down. I'm assuming it's because of the change of routine and she has gotten used to me being home 24/7, now I'm gone most of the time and my partner is the stay at home mom as before.
Your routine may have nothing to do with her being despondent, if indeed that's what she is. She may be developing an illness. Let's hope not.

Quote:
Anybody else have this experience and how long does something like this last? I'm the neurotic one that uses my pets as a substitute for children so you can save your sarcasm "30to65at55".
If it's a simple change in her routine, not for long. Cats adjust quickly to new routines. However if it continues for days and if she stops eating or shows other signs, I would take her to the vet for a checkup.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Im never sarcastic. I just point out the obvious.
Your stupid mindless "pickle" suggestion to the person asking a serious question about her pregnant cat wasn't pointing out the obvious. It was juvenile and meant to make her look foolish. The more of your posts I read, the more convinced I am that you are nothing but a bored troll.

Quote:
The answer to your question is that cats, under the circumstances you described, will stay depressed as long as they feel like it. They are cats and they do what they want.
Another stupid remark - as if animals or people DECIDE to be depressed for one week, or three months, or maybe a year....

Last edited by =^..^=; 03-21-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats