Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,572,593 times

Advertisements

This just breaks my heart. Why didn't the worker stop right then and there and put a note on the cage saying the impound fee was coming the next day? and yes the cat should have been kept indoors. But adult neighbors lied about having taken the cat to the shelter. This poor little boy has learned all too soon what a cruel world this can be.

Utah Boy's Letter: 'Grown-Ups Killed My Kitty' - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,127,349 times
That is sad. This is a cruel world. There is no doubt about that. They should sue the shelter for the child's pain and suffering. Being hit in the wallet always makes people take notice and be more careful it doesn't happen again.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM

30 posts, read 58,766 times
I'd sue the neighbors for trapping the cat, lying about its whereabouts, and for mental damage for the boy.
B*tards.
Anyone who has a sandbox for their kids knows that they should cover it to prevent animals from defecating in it.
To punish a young boy and kill a cat for pooing in your yard is the cruelest kind of abuse.
The county should make reparations as well. Improper training and forgetfulness cannot be tolerated when an animal's life is on the line.
Grrr, this makes me very angry!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 PM

17,673 posts, read 22,850,598 times
My heart aches for this young boy & his family.

The same thing happened to a family in Medford Oregon.

After i had my doogie & kitty pal's spayed & neutered, they never wanted to leave our property, out heer in the mountains.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:47 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,891,495 times
This same shelter killed an owned dog last month. The dog was adopted as a stray after suffering a gunshot wound to the face. The owner nursed the dog make to health...even spoon feeding him when the dog couldn't eat. The dog healed and was at a normal weight, but his lower jaw remained crooked. The vet who treated the dog felt the dog was in no pain and would live a perfectly normal life.

One day the owner left his farm and the dog wandered onto the next door neighbor's property. She didn't know the dog and called animal control expecting them to reunite the obviously owned dog (wearing a collar and recent rabies tag) with his owner. Instead they killed him immediately under the claim he was suffering. No effort was made at all to identify the owner.

Dog

Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM

8,972 posts, read 5,471,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
This same shelter killed an owned dog last month. The dog was adopted as a stray after suffering a gunshot wound to the face. The owner nursed the dog make to health...even spoon feeding him when the dog couldn't eat. The dog healed and was at a normal weight, but his lower jaw remained crooked. The vet who treated the dog felt the dog was in no pain and would live a perfectly normal life.

One day the owner left his farm and the dog wandered onto the next door neighbor's property. She didn't know the dog and called animal control expecting them to reunite the obviously owned dog (wearing a collar and recent rabies tag) with his owner. Instead they killed him immediately under the claim he was suffering. No effort was made at all to identify the owner.

Dog
With regards to this dog, here is the excuse,err, explanation of why they did it.

Response to Herald Journal Article
Mon Sep 17, 2012
Herald Journal

I just wanted to make a few clarifications to the story that was printed in Sunday's paper regarding Whitey. I am sure that many people have been left with numerous questions after reading the article.

First, rabies tags are not a form of identification for animals. There is no national database in which a rabies tag number can be looked up. Generally, when a rabies vaccine is given, the associated tag will have contact information on it for the facility that gave the vaccine. When this is the case, the facility can then be contacted and they can call the owner and let them know where their animal is. This was not the case with Whitey. His tag was generic and only supplied the tag number and the year. Without calling every shelter and veterinary clinic, the tag could not be traced. This is why it is important to register your animal where you live and make sure the tag is always on them, or more ideally, have them micro chipped, which is a lifelong form of identification and can not be lost. All animal control officers in the Cache County scan all stray animals with a universal micro chip reader, and any animals brought to the Cache Humane Society Shelter are also be scanned.

Whenever someone brings a stray animal they have found to the shelter, we immediately have them talk to animal control for the area in which they found the dog. It is then up to the animal control officer as to whether they are going to impound the animal at the Cache Humane Society. Each agency has different protocol. When they impound an animal with us, they are essentially paying us to board the animal for the mandated five day impound period. If an animal is not claimed at the end of the five days, we then take responsibility for the animal. At this point, we give the animal a physical, give it its vaccines and then do our best to find it a home.

State law does allow for an exclusion to the five day impound period, if the animal is in pain. This is the route that the animal control officer went with Whitey. Based upon the condition Whitey was in when he came to the shelter, the animal control officer made this decision and requested our staff to assist him with the procedure. The decision was made by animal control, who at that point had responsibility for the animal. Two of our staff members were with the animal control officer when the decision was made. They have provided him with statements for his case as to Whitey's condition and concurred with his assessment.

The staff at the Cache Humane Society are professionals who are trained to give vaccines, implant microchips, and yes, perform euthansias. As I am sure most people understand, this is not something that our staff enjoys doing. However, it is a reality when animals are injured or there are more animals then there are homes and funding for. I am thankful every day for our staff who continually and professionally work with a small budget, believing that their actions make a difference for animals that would not have a place to go if our shelter did not exist. This is why we advocate that everyone get their animals spayed and neutered and make sure they are wearing proper identification.

Please feel free to visit our shelter and meet out staff. I would be more than happy to sit down with anyone and explain our mission, programs and animal save rates.

Sincerely,

Brenda K. Smith
Executive Director

I believe I'm going to start shipping off stories like this to PETA whenever they whine about open-admission shelters needing more support from the community.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingGirl View Post
I'd sue the neighbors for trapping the cat, lying about its whereabouts, and for mental damage for the boy.
After I got done suing the neighbors I think I'd encourage the shelter to do so as well. Don't know if they'd prevail, but people like this don't help the reputation of "open-admission" shelters any better.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,891,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
With regards to this dog, here is the excuse,err, explanation of why they did it.
I particularly love this because there isn't anything remotely resembling an apology in there. Not even one of those half-apologies like 'we're sorry we had to do the right thing for the animal..." There isn't even any attempt at sympathy for the owner.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,789,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I particularly love this because there isn't anything remotely resembling an apology in there. Not even one of those half-apologies like 'we're sorry we had to do the right thing for the animal..." There isn't even any attempt at sympathy for the owner.
With all due respect, the apologies are due to the family and not the entire public. On that note, did you miss the part where the mature adult involved (the father) stepped up and accepted the apology they gave and was willing to say that he holds no ill will towards the shelter?

He further said that as upsetting as this is, he acknowledged his role in failing to take the steps he should have taken that would have prevented the death. He knows that he should have, as the adult, gone to the shelter instead of just checking some online pictures.

Further he also acknowledged that the family (HIS FAMILY) failed the cat by allowing it out to roam unsupervised and was not aware that the cat was leaving unwanted "gifts" in the neighbors kid's play box. He accepted that that would probaby **** off a whole lot of people if some strange cat came pooping in their yards.

I also noticed how nobody is talking abpout the condition of the cat and why a decision by 2 seperate groups that included three professionals all concured that the cat's condition warrented euthanazia.

I can understand why some will fly cookoo over what a child wrote, I for one prefer the actions of the mature adult involved directly in and by this. But, I'm not a crazy cat person.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
With all due respect, the apologies are due to the family and not the entire public. On that note, did you miss the part where the mature adult involved (the father) stepped up and accepted the apology they gave and was willing to say that he holds no ill will towards the shelter?

He further said that as upsetting as this is, he acknowledged his role in failing to take the steps he should have taken that would have prevented the death. He knows that he should have, as the adult, gone to the shelter instead of just checking some online pictures.

Further he also acknowledged that the family (HIS FAMILY) failed the cat by allowing it out to roam unsupervised and was not aware that the cat was leaving unwanted "gifts" in the neighbors kid's play box. He accepted that that would probaby **** off a whole lot of people if some strange cat came pooping in their yards.

I also noticed how nobody is talking abpout the condition of the cat and why a decision by 2 seperate groups that included three professionals all concured that the cat's condition warrented euthanazia.

I can understand why some will fly cookoo over what a child wrote, I for one prefer the actions of the mature adult involved directly in and by this. But, I'm not a crazy cat person.
Why don't you actually follow the thread here ..... there are 2 separate incidents being discussed. There was no problem with the physical condition of the cat. That is another incident involving a dog, as this shelter seems to making some boo-boos lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats