Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,039 times

Advertisements

I picked up a new addition to the household yesterday. Her given name was Booty but I renamed her Nell. Anyway, she is doing all the right things... using the litter box, friendly, etc... except she isn't eating. She is full of energy, sniffing everything, investigating and curious about the older kitty in the house. She is only a year and 2 months so still kittenish but I'm concerned about the not eating. She has had water.

I've never gotten any of my cats over the past 40 yrs from a shelter so I don't know if this is just an adjustment period. I've already opened 4 different cans of cat food, given her the dry food she ate at the shelter in addition to that 2 other dry types of food. She sniffs the food several times and seems interested but then does the cleaning thing around the area that cats do and walks away.

Any ideas? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,398,718 times
The fact that she is drinking is good. I would be a little concerned that she is not eating, as that can be dangerous for cats. Do you have the option of the free vet visit for shelter cats? I have adopted and there is a local vet who will give them a check up for free...maybe try that and see what the vet recommends? She could just be nervous, but not eating can also be a sign of other issues.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,372 times
whenever i move or take her to a new place, my cat won't eat for a day or two. then its totally back to normal. this is usually combined with her being in a pissy mood, though.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM

21 posts, read 62,861 times
It's still early, she's probably just nervous and still adjusting to her new home. She'll most likely settle in soon.

Thanks for chosing a shelter cat and giving her a second chance at life!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
It could be nerves, but I would take her to the vet for a checkup even if she was eating. Our shelter requests everyone adopting a pet to take it to the vet in the first 10 days after adoption, to make sure there is no illness we missed, or that was developing when they left the shelter. We keep a list of vets that will do that first checkup for free. Call the shelter, and ask if they have such a list.
Many years of happiness with your new kitty!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,593 times
I rescued a cat from death row a few weeks back and she didn't eat for the first day or two. Same as yours, she was friendly and using the litter box and drinking and all that but just had no interest in food (she also had a bad URI which is how she ended up on death row in the first place). It scared me too but she started eating and everything was fine. See my thread here: Food suggestion for a stuffed up cat?

Canned salmon did the trick and after maybe 3 days, she was eating what my other fur kids eat no problem.

I would not be too worried about it now but if it continues, take her in.

Oh and congratulations and thank you for saving a life!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,577,334 times
First, congratulations on your new baby, and I too thank you for adopting a shelter kitty. If you have not yet you should undoubtedly take her in for a check up, and let your vet take a good look at her, make sure she is current on shots, wormed, and spayed and her teeth/gums look good. She may just be overwhelmed right now and checking out her new digs, and she at least knows where the food and water is. I wouldn't be too concerned about not eating right away - I would leave dry food out for her all the time. She may eat after you go to sleep at night. As long as she is drinking water she will be ok, no animal will deliberately starve themselves to death (except a teenage girl!!) but I would mention this non interest in food to the vet. You can also take some of the wet food and smear it on her fur - she will groom it off and maybe the taste will interest her. Good luck, and I like her name. Nell sounds rather timid and sweet!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,039 times
Well, as you would expect... I called the vet to make an appt and within 10 min. Lil' Nell came out and ate some of her dry food. She must have heard me making the appt. She is anxious, there are a lot of new noises and lots of birds and squirrels running around right outside the windows.

Plus, to be honest, all of my other cats stray or given to me have been eaters and I am such a true Mother Earth and want all animals to eat. So, I think part of it is my getting used to a normal sized little girl for her age and maybe not a big eater.

If it changes I will be taking her to the vet right away. For now, I canceled the appt. and will watch her.

I love her already, my new little sweetheart. And thankfully, my BooBoo has stopped spitting at her and in time they will be good buddies.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,240,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, as you would expect... I called the vet to make an appt and within 10 min. Lil' Nell came out and ate some of her dry food. She must have heard me making the appt. She is anxious, there are a lot of new noises and lots of birds and squirrels running around right outside the windows.

Plus, to be honest, all of my other cats stray or given to me have been eaters and I am such a true Mother Earth and want all animals to eat. So, I think part of it is my getting used to a normal sized little girl for her age and maybe not a big eater.

If it changes I will be taking her to the vet right away. For now, I canceled the appt. and will watch her.

I love her already, my new little sweetheart. And thankfully, my BooBoo has stopped spitting at her and in time they will be good buddies.

Thanks for all the replies!!
Yes it figures..all the best

Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM

41,980 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, as you would expect... I called the vet to make an appt and within 10 min. Lil' Nell came out and ate some of her dry food. She must have heard me making the appt.
I love it!!

Thank you for giving Nell a loving home. All the best to both of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats