Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 12,670 times

Advertisements

When we first brought home Angel after getting fixed things looked and seemed find. I went and took a nap for a couple hours and when I woke up and went into the living room my boyfriend told me what had been going on with the cats.

Which is the kittens hiss at the father and the mother hissing at the kitten but its not at the same time! Why would this be happening? Is it the mother telling the kittens no more milk or is it because she will soon have her 2nd litter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
If it was right after surgery, the kitten probably came back smelling different. It is through smell that they recognize each other. Then again, with another litter on the way, I don't know. I just know my cat reacted the same way one time when my dog came back from the groomers. Hissed. Until she figured out it was still 'her' dog and then she was fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 12,670 times
The father cat was the one that got fixed and the 6 kittens are hissing at him. Then my boyfriend heard the mother cat hissing at the babies. I think the mother is saying that they are old enough to take care of themselves. But the one thing we didn't know about is why the kittens would be hissing at the father. Right after he got home from surgery things were find, all went up and smelt him but a couple hours later when I got up from a nap my boyfriend told me things changed and that he was being hissed at. From what I saw it was the two boy kittens that were hissing at him, I didn't see any of the girls doing it.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default Purebreds? Breeding cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeangel79 View Post
When we first brought home Angel after getting fixed things looked and seemed find. I went and took a nap for a couple hours and when I woke up and went into the living room my boyfriend told me what had been going on with the cats.

Which is the kittens hiss at the father and the mother hissing at the kitten but its not at the same time! Why would this be happening? Is it the mother telling the kittens no more milk or is it because she will soon have her 2nd litter?
She's spayed and having another litter? Are you a breeder?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
1: please spay momma cat after this litter
=^..^= i think the op means the male (father) has now been neutered so hopefully this wil be this girls last litter, especial if shes ONLY just weaning her other litter now.

2: as for the hissing this is comepltly normal, kittens hissing at the male is likely because he smells odd.

the mother hissing at the kittens is also completly normal, shes weaning them in one hand, in the other shes pregnant, and on another shes also establishing rank in the hierarchy.
My older female cat hisses at the younger female alot, doesnt amount to much more than growling and hissing, usually around the food bowl or on the bed...they both have thier own spots on the bed and if the kitten tries to change that shell get a growl hiss and even a swat (both cats have claws and no damage has ever been done)

its just the older females way of keeping the younger female in her place...cats communicate alot through hissing growling mewing and purring, purr along with body language (ie most people think hey my cats purring that means shes happy" but then you lok at the tail and the tip is twitching...that changes the entire meaning of the purr)
my cats are VERY vocal and each sound they make has a different meaning.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Cos' they are injured and vulnerable and not in their natural state.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
please don't bring any more kittens into this world. I'd hiss too if I was pregnant and had bunch of young'uns climbing all over me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats