Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times

Advertisements

Last night, I dropped my son off at his home. When I went to give my son a hug and kiss goodnight, one of his cats, Mr. Visario (neutered male Siamese about seven years old---we got him from a rescue when he was about one year old), jumped on my son's lap hissed and growled at me, and then proceeded to follow me hissing and growling all the way to the door.

I have noticed that the last few times I have visited with my son, the cat Mr. Visario, seems less friendly with each visit. My son's other cat is a Ragdoll, and she is so very lovely.

I don't have any new pets or anything in my house. The cat used to chase my mother-in-law (who has since passed on), and actually bit her ankles, several times.

I am wondering if this is just a jealousy or protection issue. After I put my shoes on, he jumped back onto my son's lap and was rubbing up against him and purring, but as soon as I stepped (very quietly towards my son) he started growling again.

Any suggestions, anyone else experienced this before? He used to really like me. I am stymied.

Last edited by taigagirl; 09-23-2010 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
hope you get an answer - I'll be looking for it as well - how much is hissing natural and to be expected or it is a worrisome behavior -

Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Cat Hissing and Aggressive Cat Behavior

Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
I recommend a vet visit for Mr Visario. Any change in behavior can be indicative of a health problem.

Otherwise, don't respond his aggressiveness when it happens. Perhaps he is just being protective. You show up, his boy disappears for (the weekend?) He doesn't want you taking his boy away. Sounds strange, but possible.

You might try spraying your hands with feliway spray before going there, this will make you smell less threatening to him.

On that thought....have you changed your perfume, or soap or laundry detergent, even deodorant or hair spray? Smell is everything to a cat. If you smell different, you ARE different, to Mr Visario.

But I'd go with the vet check first.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Thanks for sending this to me, BucFan. I read through the articles and a couple of things seemed helpful..

Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM

My son is 24, so I am used to dropping in whenever. But we have both been really busy, and sometimes we meet up for lunches, dinners so sometimes maybe a month will go by before I return back to his place. I used to go there much more frequently while my son was in university. I am going to suggest that my son have Mr. Visario seen by the vet, because it could be a health issue.

Mr. Visario got his shots about two months ago. Because of aggression issues with two previous vets (biting, scratching, hissing), one vet suggested a mobile vet service. They had to place him in some type of a body bag with just his head sticking out, to give him his shots. My ex said it was unreal how he threw himself around in the body bag. This vet and the technician also commented on his aggressiveness towards people.

I have never found him to be a really friendly cat, but he just seems so much more aggressive than usual. He is a beautiful flamepoint Siamese boy. He basically ignores the Ragdoll, but now I remember when my son adopted the Ragdoll he hissed and growled at my son for about two weeks, to express his displeasure.

I frequently change perfumes, etc., but maybe in the month or so I didn't go to the house, made Mr. Visario forget me. When he shows affection to my son, he also will nip at his face.

No doubt thought, I felt like he was stalking me. A most unpleasant feeling.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Other than ignoring, how are cats negatively reinforced?

With dogs, you use a stern "NO!" when the behavior occurs.

This doesn't work on cats, right?

http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/WhytoTrainCats.html

Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Other than ignoring, how are cats negatively reinforced?

With dogs, you use a stern "NO!" when the behavior occurs.

This doesn't work on cats, right?

Why to Train Cats
Will psychology work on Mr. V? Operant conditioning, definitely worth a try. Hopefully, he will respond, in the meantime we have schedule a vet home visit for Monday to rule out any health issues. Mr. V. eats well, and he has not lost or gained weight. His fur is lovely (flamepoint siamese).

I think Mr. V. has ownership issues...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Maybe a dumb question but - is Mr. V neutered? If not, then that's why he's being aggressive. There are also cats who are just plain aggressive and unfriendly, though it's definitely an extreme for cat behavior (cats tend to run more along the lines of "I like you" to "I tolerate you.")

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Maybe a dumb question but - is Mr. V neutered? If not, then that's why he's being aggressive. There are also cats who are just plain aggressive and unfriendly, though it's definitely an extreme for cat behavior (cats tend to run more along the lines of "I like you" to "I tolerate you.")
Mr. V. is neutered. Mr. Visario had his vet visit (home visit) and his thyroid levels and some other things are being checked. The vet does not think that Mr. V. has any health issues, but that he considers himself the "owner" of my son. My ex mentioned to the vet tonight that his dog is also afraid of Mr. V. (The dog is an adorable feisty little Westie).

This whole thing just really bugs me, because I love cats. I have always found Mr. V. somewhat aloof, but now he is downright nasty. The vet suggested that my son scold Mr. V., use a water pistol when he starts to growl and hiss, or find another behaviour modification technique (ie. locking him in a bedroom), when people come over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats