Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,034 times

Advertisements

My backyard used to have a lot of new born cats, and now only one left. When this cat still a kitten, it being protected by mom, when I tried to get close to them, mom always ran away so the children including this kitten also ran away to a certain distance. And now , I am still feeding this cat ( 2-3years old now) , when this cat were born, already fed by our food, so this cat doesn't know how to hunt i believed. Me and my family would like to adopt this cat but don't know how. All I can say is we can approach the cat in a much closer distance than before, it always looking at us. But once we get out to the backyard, it'll run away. So are there any way we could attract the cat to follow us ? I know it is very difficult in doing so. Appreciate any valuable advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
ferals are very very wary. maybe if you sat in the backyard, very still and quiet (read a book?) with something tempting near you, it will get used to coming a little closer. do this repeatedly moving the dish closer as it gets used to you more.

Other than that, box trap it and bring it inside where it's options to run are much smaller and work on getting it used to you there - stay in the room reading, read out loud to it to get it used to your voice; be as non-threatening as possible. It takes a lot of work, but it can happen.

I'm sure there are others with much more experience than I!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 PM

That's a good idea, I'll give it try. Are there anyone who has more experience in dealing with this kind of cat ? Opinions are welcome . Thanks for all the given advice .

Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
I have quite a few outside felines. My normal routine is I put out food and snacks 3 or 4 times a day. Keeps everybody close by and out of trouble.
Wouldnt want to miss a goodie.

If I want to capture one of my long time woodpile/ferals I sit on a low stool by the food. I only put out food when Im able to sit with it. At first they stay back. Then they edge in with the other cats. I let them eat a bite then I slowly try to touch them. It usually takes about three days of me trying and them backing away and coming back before they give up and let me pet them. ( Oh Hell just get it over with and let me eat in peace.)

Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
Default How to approach ferral cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86rayl View Post
My backyard used to have a lot of new born cats, and now only one left. When this cat still a kitten, it being protected by mom, when I tried to get close to them, mom always ran away so the children including this kitten also ran away to a certain distance. And now , I am still feeding this cat ( 2-3years old now) , when this cat were born, already fed by our food, so this cat doesn't know how to hunt i believed. Me and my family would like to adopt this cat but don't know how. All I can say is we can approach the cat in a much closer distance than before, it always looking at us. But once we get out to the backyard, it'll run away. So are there any way we could attract the cat to follow us ? I know it is very difficult in doing so. Appreciate any valuable advice.

Years ago, our community had many ferral cats. We caught a lot of them and I worked with the various cats until they were tame. We lived near a park and our community had a stream running through the community.
Well, one day I saw a ferral Momma cat in our yard. I got some cat food
and water and took it outside for Momma. I kept a good distance from her and slowly put the food and water near a wood pile. Again, I slowly moved away from her, because cats do not like quick actions or movement. Then I went further away from her and stood still. I did talk to her and called her Momma in a soft calm voice. I stayed there for about an hour and then slowly turn and went into the house.

I repeated this action every morning before going to work and every night after I got home from work. When it was time to bring food and water out to Momma, I called her name (Momma) as soon as I was outside. This way, she would know I was coming and she would not be afraid. I called, "Momma Cat, Momma Cat." Soon she came whenever I called. I kept my distance from her, but stayed there and talked to her calling her name to her.

A neighbor had said that Momma was on the other side of the community for about 6 years. She stayed closed to the park where she could hide and also hunt. I do not know why she crossed the stream and came over to our side of the community.

Now when Momma realized she could get easy food and water, she came when I called. It is important that I kept my distance from her and also stayed and talked to her and her babies. She knew I was not going to harm her or her babies. She called them after I called her.

Momma cat realized that there was a widow of opportunity to get the food and water. In the morning, birds would come and eat the cat food if Momma and her babies did not eat the food and drink the water first. Then at night, there were raccoons, foxes, etc., that would come. As long as I
was with them, she knew they were save. One evening, a large dog came running through our property. It saw Momma and the babies and I immediately chased the dog away from them. This was one more proof that I would not harm them.

Keeping a schedule of feeding and watering Momma and the babies was important. They do not like quick movements or surprizes. They like consistency. Fall went to Winter to Spring to Summer. When I felt that she trusted me, I would move a little bit closer to her after putting the food and water down. Eventually, I was able to stay right next to the
food and water and Momma and the babies came to eat.

One hot day, when Momma was in laying in the bushes, I came out and talked to her. She came to me and then rubbed up against my leg. I let her do this many times. Then with fear and trembling, I thought about petting her. Should I do this or not? She rubbed my leg again and I decided to take the chance and pet her very gently on her head. She jumpped back away from me. She looked up at me. Then she came back and rubbed my leg again. From that time on, I was able to pet her and then her babies.

She was not fully tamed yet. We had to catch her babies first with a humane trap. The best way to do this is to get Kentucky Fried Chicken.
I put pieces of the chicken in a trail and then into the trap. I had to get the babies first because one of the kittens had been injured. They knew nothing about a humane trap so one at a time walked in to the trap.
This is terrifying to the kittens and they jumpped and bumpped all around in the trap.

We took the trap with the kitten into a small bathroom in the house where we had a cat carrier. We opened up the cat carrier door wide and let the kitten leave the trap which was up agaist the open cat carrier. The kitten went right in and continued to jump and bump around in the cat carrier.
When they are caught, they are afraid and they make all kinds of noises, hissing, etc. Be carefull in handling the trap door and the cat carrier because it is possible the kitten will strike out at you or will try to bit you.

Once the kittens were trapped and in the cat carriers, we took them to the Vetinarian for all of the shots, de-worming, de-fleaing, bathing, etc.
Depending on the timing of the Vet, we would go and pick up the kittens. Since the one was injured, that kitten had to stay with the Vet. The other
kittens would come home to the small bathroom. Once there, I would
give them food and water. I started out with canned food and dry food.
They were hungry and there was no problem with getting them to eat.

The first day, I spent quite a bit of time with the kittens. I talked to them,
watched them, and did this very frequently. At first, they are afraid of you and the door being opened and closed. It does not take them long to be curious about what was past the door and they would try to get out.

Once all the kittens were home and feeling comfortable, it was time to get Momma cat. When she was trapped, she did the same thing the kittens did. Again, we repeated the procedures for the kittens. When Momma cat was ready to come home, she was reunited with the babies. I did put out kitten food for the babies.

Momma came around pretty quickly and wanted to be petted and loved. The kittens did the same.

We already had our own cats who we had for many years. With Momma and the babies, we would be overrun with cats. So, we went to a county sponsored adoption days. The kittens were frghtened, but they were tame litter trained (which was an automatic reponse on their part). They were no longer ferral and would purr when petted and even picked up sometimes. They had their own cloth toys and a towel that had their sents on it. They were adopted and I cried for each one of them. I still have tears all these years latter when I remember how much joy they gave me.

Momma cat remained with us and she and our other cats learned to get along with each other. There were hisses, meows, and paws flung out a few times, but they all settled down. There was a lot of posturing until the dominate cat was known.

I hope that this has helped you in some way. My husband and I have caught 28 cat/kittens and took them to the Vet for all of their medical needs. I loved every one of the cats/kittens. Since people want kittens more than they want adult cats, we kept all of the mother cats and they were part of our family. Good luck in your efforts to catch or tame the mother cat and the one kitten.

There are organizations that will help you catch the two cats and you may want to let them know your situation. When they are caught, please do not take them to a county or state run shelter. They keep the animals for a short time. If they are not tame, they will euthanize them. If they are tame, they will hold them for about a week before they euthanize them.

The Humane Societies keep the cats until they are adopted. They will not euthanize them. In many cases, the volunteers will take the cats until they are adopted and if they are not adopted, the volunteers will usually keep them.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 AM

Thank you for the response , Cecilia_rose and Kathy Howell. The story of Kathy has made me touched . How wonderful to hear such a lovely story, it is sad to farewell those kitten when your long hope came true that they're once became your pet. By reading through your story I can tell you are a very nice person.

When this only cat were a kitten , our family me and dad have used the same approach, we begun the feed at a certain distance, and slowly put the food closer to our position , next to our leg , when I was trying to touch their head and they ran away. I've done that approximately quite a few months , the mama and the kitten won't come eat until they are very very hungry. Then I gave up adopting them. However the recent years , this only cat is alone, seeing the cat being so lonely, and we have came up a family issue and thought that we are going to move soon then we were trying to find ways to capture the cat, so it can come with us for the move. After reading your post I have hope to adopt this cat. Because I never stood there for an hour or try to talk to it so now I'll put an effort to make the cat feel safe when other animal ( bird ) trying to steal the food from it.

Really appreciate your great heart and typing patience for giving me a tremendous assistance.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
If the cat is used to eating food you are providing it, he'll probably be easy to trap. Once you get him inside, make sure you put him in a room that provides hiding places but doesn't have anywhere where he could make himself completely inaccessible or trap himself. That means no high shelves in a closet where you couldn't reach him, no way to get inside a box spring or inside the mechanism of a recliner, no rafter beams...look at things from a cat's perspective. The last thing you want is for him to say, get into a crawl space and then down inside a wall (it has happened!)

But do provide him somewhere dark and quiet to hide. For the first few days I would provide food, water, and a litter box, but not try any interaction...including just hanging out in the room. Just let him be alone so he can start to relax and realize he's not being hurt. Then I would start sitting quietly in the room for a few hours and see how he reacts. Does he come out to look, even if it's from across the room? Does he sniff? Or does he stay hidden? Leave some articles of clothing around with your scent on them. How he reacts determines how fast you can go...if he's interested, you can start tossing him treats. You might want to try lying flat and not looking at him...this sometimes gets them to come investigate you.

It can take quite a while for a feral to adjust, but the vast majority do. You just need to be very patient and take it one very small step at a time. If you try to force things, you can undo all the trust you've earned and have to start over.

Jonas was a feral kitten. Even though I adopted him at eight weeks, the 'window' for bite inhibition for him had closed (he was also abandoned by his mother, which complicates things as bite inhibition is something they learn from the mother). This means that even as an adult he can't understand that biting hard hurts. He'll try to play with our other cat Robin by sinking his fangs into her throat and he doesn't 'get' why she runs away. By contrast, Robin was from a non-feral litter and has beautiful bite inhibition- she'll nibble ever so carefully on your fingers.

Jonas is seven now and most people don't realize he was ever feral, but it took a lot of work to get him there. He was a real handful as a kitten and we had to get help from a behaviorist. Jonas is blind (he lost both eyes to feline herpes when he was feral) and I always joke that the only thing that makes it possible to keep him as a house pet is that he can't see....otherwise he'd be into everything! Even today he's kind of a brat, but I wouldn't trade him for the most 'normal' cat in the world. The fact that he was feral meant I had to gain his trust and that developed an incredible bond between us. It was so worth the effort and I highly encourage you to try with your little wild boy.

I walk Jonas on his leash (we just took our first spring walk yesterday!). With the slightest pressure on the leash he weaves around obstacles without breaking stride. When cars go past and beep he doesn't even flick a ear. He has perfect trust that I will guide and protect him and I swear that sometimes brings tears to my eyes. "Reforming' a feral can be tough, but again the rewards can be incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats