Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,876 times

Advertisements

Last night I spotted a kitten, about 10 weeks old, just outside the main entrance of our neighborhood grocery. It looked to be alone pouncing sort of happily into the bushes after a lizard probably, but obviously abandoned and/or feral.

Today I went back with the kids to try catching it. Where it's hanging out is a dense patch of plumbagos THISCLOSE to the curb and lots of cars day and night. It's just a matter of time before it's run over. I spotted a can of cat food so apparently someone knows it's there besides me.

Unfortunately, the cat would not come to me and at some point darted out into the road. Thankfully it was not hit but I realized I had to leave immediately or risk causing it to get killed trying to escape me.

My first cat at the age of 15 was a stray I found in a park and suddenly I remembered the struggle to get him out of his shrub. At that place there were no cars nearby and I could chase him down without worry.

The last cat we rescued that we still have 12 years later was pregnant and in serious nesting mode, so she came right into my arms seeking a safe place to give birth.

Does anyone know the best way to rescue this young cat???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Call your local animal rescue. They will have a special trap. Food will be put inside and the door will close. Just make sure that you are watching nearby. Our Lola, who was feral and is now semi-feral, went in without a problem when we tried to catch her.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:58 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
There are Have-A-Heart traps. In my last town the city animal control will rent them to you for a fully refunded deposit.

We have caught several ferals over the years to have them fixed and released. (you can only house so many cats) One of our cats we rescued from our backyard. The others were littermates of a feral cat that was hit by a car and had to be euthanized.

When we caught our feral calico, she was jumping around like crazy inthe cage. She thought she was dinner. Now she is a loving house cat. She's come a long way, baby.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
You will probably need a trap. The good news is that 10 weeks may be young enough to socialize a feral cat, but I'm guessing your other rescues were strays, not ferals. A truly feral cat won't adjust to humans. Here is some good reading about strays vs ferals:
Frequently Asked Questions - Feral Cats (http://www.la-spca.org/prevention/faq_cats.htm - broken link)
FAQ About Stray & Feral Cats in Atlanta, GA (http://www.atlantaanimalalliance.com/faq1.htm - broken link)

Here is a link about trapping
SNiP - Spay/Neuter information Program (http://www.phsspca.org/SNiP/feral_cats_trapping.htm - broken link)

Ally Cat Allies has a lot of usefull information on helping feral cats and feral communities. Here is one about socializing a feral kitten:
Alley Cat Allies - Socialized Cat Guide (http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=292&srcid=434 - broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
Put food out for it every day to get it use knowing there will be food and it will come back looking for food. Just put the food close and closer to your house, away from the road/street. Then, once use to being fed, you put the food in a covered trap and set the trap so that it dosen't spring on it for several days. When you think the time is right, set it to trap the baby.. I have had sucess in taming several ferals that were a lot older than this one and some not so good luck in taming some. Some take right to it, others do not.

Look online for how to trap and tame ferals, that is what I did along with talking to other trappers and found the method that worked the best for the ones I was trapping.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I am trying to contact a local group that rescues cats and hoping they will help. The traps I found to purchase online cost $50 and up and as of yet I haven't located someone who will let me borrow one.
I can see it may be a problem trapping this little guy as I keep seeing cans of cat food in those bushes, which means he won't be hungry enough to go into the trap unless we find out who is feeding the kitten and get their cooperation.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:14 PM

289 posts, read 569,687 times
I was going to say with lots of patience & presistance. But seeing as how it's in the city, one of those safe traps would be the best way to go.

You could always try setting out a pet carrier/kennel/taxie & then lay in wait to see if it will go inside. And when it does very slowly sneek up & shut the door.

I live in the country so we get wild cats here all the time. The last one we ended up adopting was fully grown & it took him 6 months of us throwing food to him before we could get close enough to him. Even then when we tried to pet him he let us know very quickly not to. About 3 months later he was walking beside my mom when he reached his paw up & grabbed her hand. As if to say "Hello. I am down here. Pet me."

After that my mom & I could pick him up for a few seconds & then he would want down. but he loved for us to pet him. He would walk in front of us & just lay down & roll over for us to rub his belly. We could bring him in the house & he would lay in my lap & purr like his life depended on it. But he wouldn't allow anyone else to touch him. Noone but myself & my mom.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm so frustrated. I saw the cute kitty last night again after returning the trap. I hadn't seen him for days and then while I went in for milk my husband and kids spotted him again. DH tried to catch him but he was too fast and DH didn't want to drive him into the road so he went back to the car.

I'm not going to try again because someone -- maybe more than one person -- is feeding him. He wouldn't stay where he wasn't being fed but there's no way to know exactly who and as long as he's being fed even a little each day he won't go into the trap. He's skinny but apparently not starved.

If only he was easier to catch or would come out long enough to be caught by hand. I plan to try begging a rescue group to help this kitten before it's too late. At least they will know how to do this properly. The woman who loaned me the trap would only give me advice but would not come to the location. It is full of shrubs and impossible to know where the cat is at any one time. I don't fault her; she has probably seen hundreds of strays go unsaved and has acquired a wisdom that allows her to accept that this is the fate of many.

To me, it's not an everyday event and yes ... heartbreaking.

I guess if my pleas aren't answered he will become feral through and through and eventually be unadoptable.

Please send your positive thoughts our way.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
I have 2 kittens at work that was dropped off, and are living in a bush, I have been feeding them for over a month, and they will follow me around, but I cant get close enough without them running off, and 1 of the traps that the animals rescue has is to Big to fit where there are staying. I dont know what to do, Im afraid they are going to freeze to death, they are only maybe 6 months old. Please Help!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Patience.
They see you as food source.
At one set time every day, start this. Open a can of tuna (not cat food - doesn't stink enough) and sit quietly near the can. Let them come up and eat out of it. Do not move. Do not even look at them. Next day, move the can closer. Next day, closer. Next day, right next to you. Next day, in your lap. Still do not attempt to grab, talk to, or pet them. Let them eat out of your lap for a few days. Do not feed them otherwise, or leave food out for them. Start murmuring soft things as they eat. Do not look directly at them, make sudden movements or noises. Wear things that will catch their interest - trailing ribbons, glittery anklets/bracelets. Let them play with them if they choose; do not tug or play back. They will come to you. Cats are notorious for being the ones to make the first move, and are terrifically independent. They must trust you first, and that takes a looong time.

Always worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats