Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times

Advertisements

I used "cat paper" under a large box when my cat's kidneys started failing and she would get half the pee in and half out--I bought it from a place in Brooklyn?? It was excellent and I put it under the box to catch any residue. No smell, wow, that stuff was good. You can buy it by the roll or large pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I wash them once a week using laundry soap and clorox and baking soda. (laundry soap because it is safe to mix with bleach) I start with hot water, and soak them over night. After the soak I scrub, rinse in hot, then rinse in cold (cold water removes soap residue) then pour white vinegar, enough to cover the bottom and let them sit for a while, a final rinse. Air dry. Once dry I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom and they are stored in my bathtub for the week. Before using I dump out the baking soda.
THAT should kill any aromas. I sprinkle the cat deodorant type baking soda on the bottom and just put the litter on top of that.

Quote:
I get them at Walmart. Made in USA. Sterilite 60 quart, 23 1/2 x 18 3/4 x 12 3/4. $3.50 each. I just bought two yesterday. (by the way, when I buy new ones, I don't use them right away. I wash them, then let them sit around so the new plastic smell wears off first.)
Oh OK. The ones we have are longer. Not sure about the width, but longer. The girls are small cats but Zebulon has turned into a large cat. He almost always used the largest tote.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM

306 posts, read 605,389 times
Well, I have made my new litter boxes, and YES, all of the urine is now staying inside, yahoo!!!! My only downfall is, they're not quit as big as I would like them. The dimensions were like my "mega" pan from Petco, even a little bigger, but I now realize that is the measurement at the top, as these get a tad wider as they get higher.

So, since this only cost me $10.00 for two, I think when I'm off again from work, I will go to Walmart and buy two more that are more roomy inside, as one of my boys is a "BIG" boy. He did go in there too, but there isn't much wiggle room for him...but they'll work for the time being!!

Thanks everyone for you suggestions!!! It's working!!! In the meantime, I did email Petco and gave them a product suggestion for HIGH sided litter boxes, as in at leat 15 inches high. My storage container is 15.5 inches high or so, and the one overshooter has about 2 inches to go before he goes over, and he's on the shorter side so, I don't think that will happen.

Now just trying to treat the areas where they have "missed" with Nature's Miracle Just for Cats Urine Destroyer...and it has KILLED most of the odor, but still needs lots of drying time. I will probably retreat sometime next week after it has dried completely as I have saturated a few areas.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Heh, you should have seen me looking everywhere for one that was both high enough as well as wide and long enough (IMO). I used a large litter pan as a guide, and yeah a lot of the bins get too narrow at the bottom. I found a really big clear one (Rubbermaid) at Lowe's back then, bigger even than the biggest litter pans (too big, probably, in hindsight), but I just bought a couple from there recently for the more typical storage use, and I don't think they have that one anymore. The ones I just bought are much narrower than that one was, fine for what I need them for but not good to make a litter box.

Good luck with your search. Glad it's working well so far.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 29,969 times
Good to see this thread today. We keep having problems with pee right around the perimeter of the cat box and underneath. Most of the time, the pee is underneath and you couldn't see it unless you lifted the cat box. Then today we catch our boy with his front paws on the side of the cat box and his hind end inside! Bingo! I like the idea of getting a taller plastic tote from the store and using that instead. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,251 times
Check my litter box out at [url=http://www.nvrmiss.com]NVR Miss Litterbox: high wall cat litter box with center entrance[/url]

It is designed it to solve the high peer problem.

Thank you

Need HIGH sided litter pans for overshooters, any suggestions?-nvr-miss-litterbox.jpg

Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
I am now looking for a super tall litter box solution for my standing pee boy! I have come to the conclusion that I need to do the storage container method and just cut a good size entry. The biggest thing I have found is while the size of the "tall sided litter boxes" can be 12+", that is not the true height because you are going to have litter in there that will reduce that height by 1-3" - depending on how much litter you put in the box! I just wish someone would manufacture a 18-20" high open top box with a consistently smooth bottom for easier picking! When you have multiple cats you are probably not hiding several litter boxes so the larger size is reasonable for me to buy. I would suspect I am not alone and this size box would be a great seller!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM

457 posts, read 496,663 times
I had the same problem and tried using the storage box. It worked as far as the size goes, but the grooves in the bottom made cleaning difficult. This is what I've had for a few years now and it works great.

Looking for an Extra Large Cat Litter Box that is easy to clean & eliminates that messy litter scatter?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
I had the same problem and tried using the storage box. It worked as far as the size goes, but the grooves in the bottom made cleaning difficult. This is what I've had for a few years now and it works great.

Looking for an Extra Large Cat Litter Box that is easy to clean & eliminates that messy litter scatter?

Thanks for that link. Someone finally wised-up about litter box sixe. It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time that most litter boxes are just too small, even for a medium sized cat. I recently found some larger ones at Wal Mart that are much better, but they're not high-sided. Fortunately, my girls don't scatter the litter much, but do pee over the edge once in a while. Might have to give the one you posted a try.

Edited to add: Took another look, and found it a bit pricey, and not fitting my budget very well. Guess I'll just keep cleaning up after them when they miss. Not a problem, I've had lots of practice.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM

457 posts, read 496,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Thanks for that link. Someone finally wised-up about litter box sixe. It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time that most litter boxes are just too small, even for a medium sized cat. I recently found some larger ones at Wal Mart that are much better, but they're not high-sided. Fortunately, my girls don't scatter the litter much, but do pee over the edge once in a while. Might have to give the one you posted a try.

Edited to add: Took another look, and found it a bit pricey, and not fitting my budget very well. Guess I'll just keep cleaning up after them when they miss. Not a problem, I've had lots of practice.
It is expensive and won't fit into everyone's budget for sure. But, if it does fit in the budget, it is worth it. My issue is mainly for one cat. He doesn't just pee high, he shakes his tail feather and will pee all over the entire back of the box from corner to corner and sometimes even hits the lid. It's insane. If I didn't have this box with a lid, there would be pee all over the walls behind the box and floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats