Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

More than half of America's pets are obese, survey shows - HealthPop - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Jasper is not obese, he is more on the thin side...but it is the food he eats, high protien diet. Not much grain. Cats are not meant to eat like cows.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Ah, but some pets are doing something about this national obesity problem:

The Dog Strikes Back: 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial - YouTube

Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,155 times
I am quilty of my dog being overweight (my cats are fine which is ironic because they free feed). I need to cut back on her food little by little and walk her more.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Two of my cats are normal weight. One is a bit pudgy. All get the same diet and eat about the same amount. The pudgy one is much less active than the other two. She's been that way from day one. Her favorite activities are eating and napping.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I work hard at keeping my cats at a healthy weight. I have one who would eat the world if allowed, and has a slow metabolism, which manifests in a tendency to gain weight and constipation. It is a struggle to keep her moving, besides.

I also have one who has no interest in food at all and never stops go go going, and it is a struggle to keep her from being too thin.

The other is okay. She eats what she is given and does not beg for more, is active sleek.

I feed a variety of canned brands on a schedule. I keep track of what they eat. The calories of cat foods varies widely, and I know the caloric content of everything they eat, so I can make sure they are getting enough, but not too much.

For instance, the one girl who wants to eat constantly, she has bad food anxiety. On some days I give her Weruva, which is very low in calories, so she can eat twice as much on that day than she would if I was feeding her Before Grain. Or on a day that I am feeding something like Nature's Variety which is REALLY caloric, I will feed some of that and then later the Weruva, so she can feel like she is getting enough to eat, without going over board on calories. She also takes pumpkin, 1/2 tablespoon twice a day, for the constipation.

The skinny girl....I am always trying to bulk her up on the high cal foods but she is a self regulator. She will eat so many calories of cat food a day, and no more. She gets about an ounce of dark meat chicken once a day to sneak some more calories and protein into her. I keep it in the freezer for her.

It's quite a juggling act, but I enjoy this kind of hands on schedule feeding because meal times are wonderful bonding times around here.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-12-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats