Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times

Advertisements

I have had mine since the boys were kittens, I decided to keep them as indoor cats with the benefit of an outdoor pen.

The cats have access to the pen through my kitchen window. They have an outdoor cat tree, a kennel which houses their litter tray and ramps and ledges bolted on for them to climb, jump and best of all they get some fresh air.

Initially I chose to sit the pen on grass so the boys could feel and smell what grass is like but only this year I have changed it to a hard floor which is easy to clean down and the boys paws are clean when they come back into the house.

The outdoor "cage" for the kitties.-outdoor-pen.jpg

The outdoor "cage" for the kitties.-having-fun.jpg

The outdoor "cage" for the kitties.-bird-watching.jpg

You will not be disappointed with yours, its good insurance against RTA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post

You will not be disappointed with yours, its good insurance against RTA too.
RTA?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
RTA?
Sorry I keep forgetting I am posting from the UK "Road Traffic Accidents".

Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
Sorry I keep forgetting I am posting from the UK "Road Traffic Accidents".
Auto-cat accidents are as common as weeds in a garden here. I think more cats lose their lives here in the USA to motor vehicle accidents than any other way. And sadly, not all are killed but are left to die on the sides of the roads. Others are left crippled for life and still people let their cats roam.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
This is such a great idea!

I live in a condo and have a small fenced-in area with a patio and garden out back. I let my cats go out there on weekends and in the evenings during the lighter seasons. They can't escape--the only space big enough is under the gate and I have it blocked with two boards. They mostly just like to roll around on the concrete, hide under the little spruce tree, and eat some grass and then throw up.

Right now they scratch at the sliders and holler to go out there, and when they do go out and realize it's cold now they come running back in within five minutes.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is such a great idea!

Right now they scratch at the sliders and holler to go out there, and when they do go out and realize it's cold now they come running back in within five minutes.
Cats quickly learn to scale fences so watch them.

My longer haired cat will go outside in the "cage" when it's in the 30s and 40s but she don't stay out there too long. As it'sgetting colder and damper here, I notice the two shorter haired cats don't spend as much time out there as they before either. In fact some days I don't see or hear them go out there at all. When the weather was nice they'd all be stretched out in the sun napping.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Cat Porch looking out from window December 2011
Cat Porch looking towards house December 2011

I don't have any good digital photos of cats in it during the summertime - maybe I can scan some of my old regular photos in the future. These were taken today, and it's COLD outside!

I's 6' h x 7'w x 7' d and just made from scrap wood and green garden wire. It is a 3 sided cube and each side has 2 sections. One side has a hinged people door for me to come in and out of. The first house where I put this up was a rental. The landlords allowed it because it doesn't physically attach to the house in any way - it just abuts it. Catz can't get out due to cinder blocks and bricks I put at any area where there are spaces. I don't think cats dig under things the way dogs do, although there may be exceptions. As it's 4 years old and has been taken apart and moved once it is looking kind of shabby - maybe I'll build another one with thicker wood in the future.

I like that the roof is wire so they get full sunshine if they want it.
There's a tree by the front right corner that provides shade. In nice weather I have chairs and tables in it and the side planks up on the corners. I also hang plants from the top. You can see in the top one the exterior door on the outer side for me to come in and out of. The dog comes in too sometimes if she's feeling jealous! The catz just go in and out of this as they wish during the warmer months - all I do is take the screen out of the window.

For those of you who mention flea and tick worries - I have had no issues with my catz getting fleas or ticks. I think if you keep the grass in the cat porch/house mowed and no other animals are in the area all should be well. The dog does get the flea stuff on her neck once a month and has no fleas, so catz don't get them from her either. Yes, because of the open window a few mosquitos do make it in the house during the summer!

What do you think?
I think what you have is great and a wonderful safe place for the kitties to spend time.

We have so much wildlife here where I live that fleas and ticks are almost inevitable, even with the grass mowed. For our own sake we keep the grass mowed or we'd be covered in chiggers and ticks. Ticks and fleas were a constant headache all the years we had the dogs. 20' behind my house starts the woods and brush. Both come down both sides of my property, right down to the road. My house is surrounded in a U shape of forest.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
This is terrific and they are indeed lucky kitties! I'd like to do something on my apartment balcony but I don't know how the management would feel about it... they don't want anything on balconies but lawn-type chairs or plants, etc.

I have just one question....with the open window (no screen) don't you get mosquitoes???

Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
This is terrific and they are indeed lucky kitties! I'd like to do something on my apartment balcony but I don't know how the management would feel about it... they don't want anything on balconies but lawn-type chairs or plants, etc.

I have just one question....with the open window (no screen) don't you get mosquitoes???
The cat outdoor enclosure has screen on it. Screen can be bought in many lengths and widths.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
You & hubby have made a wonderful play room for your beloved kitty pal's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats