Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times

Advertisements

Some people believe, usually from reading sites with agendas, that vaccinations destroy the immune system. This is of course not true. It's the wishful thinking of those selling alternative meds, herbs, vitamin-mineral supplements and even "prays for the ill." Over-vaccinating is another issue altogether I wont touch on in this post. No matter how strong the immune system of a cat or person, some diseases will overcome it and sicken or kill the animal. A stong immune system is no protection against hot viral infections/disease. If it weren't for vaccines we would still have polio, pox and other killing and crippling diseases among us. Dogs and cats would still be succumbing to distemper in great numbers. Rabies in pets would be much more common. Yet those vaccinated are not dying from destroyed immune systems. AIDS, both human and the cat form destroys the immune system, not vaccines. Before you take the word of someone online who is not a veterinarian or biologist, do the research on vaccines for yourself. Make up your own mind if you want to take a chance of your cat's dying of panleukopenia or one of the other fatal diseases by doing the research yourself and talking to your vet if you trust them.

I have held cats and kittens dying of pan' in my arms and once seen, you will never even consider not vaccinating your cats for this horrible disease.

Immune response: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine
How Vaccines Work - National Network for Immunization Information
Kitten Vaccinations
www.catclinicofcobb.com/500662.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
All of my herd of ten have had their shots and get boosters when needed.

My wife and I get our flu shots every year.

However, by researching on the internet, I have learned that vaccinating is actually a plot to control all life on the planet by such evil entities as The New World Order, The Communists, The Anarchists, The Illuminati, and the Liberals.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
All of my herd of ten have had their shots and get boosters when needed.

My wife and I get our flu shots every year.

However, by researching on the internet, I have learned that vaccinating is actually a plot to control all life on the planet by such evil entities as The New World Order, The Communists, The Anarchists, The Illuminati, and the Liberals.
I'm glad to hear this. Only people who have never seen a cat die from one of these diseases would even consider not vaccinating them.

You forgot BIG PHARM.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
We had a vet who recommended against vaccinating our one cat because she had different disease processes and felt it would challenge her immune system too much, along with her age. It's individual. I don't think vaccines are without risk, but sometimes without vaccines is full of risks. Depends on situation. Nothing in life is black and white.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:11 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
We had a vet who recommended against vaccinating our one cat because she had different disease processes and felt it would challenge her immune system too much, along with her age. It's individual. I don't think vaccines are without risk, but sometimes without vaccines is full of risks. Depends on situation. Nothing in life is black and white.
Excellent point...my mom has a 17 yr. old indoor-only cat who has a heart condition, and her vet believes vaccinations would be a bad idea for him, too. It is written right on the vaccine packaging "For healthy Animals only"...if these vaccines weren't taking some kind of toll on the immune system, I doubt that statement would be written on there.

For cats who go outside at all, vaccinations are a must IMO...unfortunately, not all the vaccs out there are as effective as we'd like them to be, so an outdoor cat can still catch a disease even if it has been vaccinated for it...
(and in the case of rabies, it depends where an animal is bitten, if it's on the head there's a good chance they'll catch this fatal disease anyway, the best way to protect against rabies is to keep your cats indoors unless they are supervised in an enclosed outdoor area)
...but some protection is better than no protection for a cat who is out there being exposed to everything, so regardless of how effective or not effective it might be, I'd say get it done if your kitty goes outside!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Some people believe, usually from reading sites with agendas, that vaccinations destroy the immune system. This is of course not true. It's the wishful thinking of those selling alternative meds, herbs, vitamin-mineral supplements and even "prays for the ill." Over-vaccinating is another issue altogether I wont touch on in this post. No matter how strong the immune system of a cat or person, some diseases will overcome it and sicken or kill the animal. A stong immune system is no protection against hot viral infections/disease. If it weren't for vaccines we would still have polio, pox and other killing and crippling diseases among us. Dogs and cats would still be succumbing to distemper in great numbers. Rabies in pets would be much more common. Yet those vaccinated are not dying from destroyed immune systems. AIDS, both human and the cat form destroys the immune system, not vaccines. Before you take the word of someone online who is not a veterinarian or biologist, do the research on vaccines for yourself. Make up your own mind if you want to take a chance of your cat's dying of panleukopenia or one of the other fatal diseases by doing the research yourself and talking to your vet if you trust them.

I have held cats and kittens dying of pan' in my arms and once seen, you will never even consider not vaccinating your cats for this horrible disease.

Immune response: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine
How Vaccines Work - National Network for Immunization Information
Kitten Vaccinations
www.catclinicofcobb.com/500662.html (http://www.catclinicofcobb.com/500662.html - broken link)
I'll just say this. You will NEVER read a book by a Homeopathic Veterinarian or Naturopathic Veterinarian that will encourage giving pets vaccinations to improve health. The only reason... and to me it isn't good enough ...would be to have a healthy cat get a rabies vaccination (and to take Homeopathic Thuja before and after to try to mitigate any damaging side effects) to comply with state laws which are the result of nothing more than the Veterinary Assns colluding with the government to force people to take their pets in to see the vet regularly AND pay money for shots.

It is ALL about the money (just as it is with humans) and NOT about the health of the animal. If you think about it, vets don't make money if your pets are healthy .So they have to dream up ways to get people to bring their pets in on a regular basis. The less my cat sees the vet the healthier he is. In fact the last time I brought my cat in because he kept shaking his head and scratching it, I paid $60 and the vet said he was "fine" and it turned out as I figured out later after it got worse he had ear mites. I took it upon myself to treat him with natural remedies recommended in two books I have and finally got rid of them.

If you look up the ingredients in vaccines for a human or an animal you'd be disgusted at the ingredients which include things like Formaldehyde and other poisons -- HARDLY anything that could remotely be considered healthful. I highly recommend people check out the World Assn for Vaccine Education if you want to learn what is in vaccines.
WAVE - World Association for Vaccine Education

Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I'll just say this. You will NEVER read a book by a Homeopathic Veterinarian or Naturopathic Veterinarian that will encourage giving pets vaccinations to improve health. The only reason... and to me it isn't good enough ...would be to have a healthy cat get a rabies vaccination (and to take Homeopathic Thuja before and after to try to mitigate any damaging side effects) to comply with state laws which are the result of nothing more than the Veterinary Assns colluding with the government to force people to take their pets in to see the vet regularly AND pay money for shots.

It is ALL about the money (just as it is with humans) and NOT about the health of the animal. If you think about it, vets don't make money if your pets are healthy .So they have to dream up ways to get people to bring their pets in on a regular basis. The less my cat sees the vet the healthier he is. In fact the last time I brought my cat in because he kept shaking his head and scratching it, I paid $60 and the vet said he was "fine" and it turned out as I figured out later after it got worse he had ear mites. I took it upon myself to treat him with natural remedies recommended in two books I have and finally got rid of them.

If you look up the ingredients in vaccines for a human or an animal you'd be disgusted at the ingredients which include things like Formaldehyde and other poisons -- HARDLY anything that could remotely be considered healthful. I highly recommend people check out the World Assn for Vaccine Education if you want to learn what is in vaccines.
WAVE - World Association for Vaccine Education
I know someone who had a rabid raccoon in her back yard this week. And I have a friend in a southern state where rabies is rampant. Rabies is alive and well in the wildlife here where I live, too. Leave my cats unprotected? Not a chance.

I take my cats to the vet for well checks every six months.

Why are people so against vets making a living?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I know someone who had a rabid raccoon in her back yard this week. And I have a friend in a southern state where rabies is rampant. Rabies is alive and well in the wildlife here where I live, too. Leave my cats unprotected? Not a chance.

I'm not against them making a living as long as they are helping and not hurting the patient. Most of the drugs and treatments cause more problems than they alleviate (and certainly conventional vets know precious little about what a healthful diet ought to consist of). The forte of vets is in acute care. They can fix the injury or stabilize the animal but when it comes to restoring their robust health, that just isn't their strength (just as it isn't the strength of a conventional medical doctor). They simply weren't trained in prevention and wellness in school.

I've done it both ways. With my first cat, a Maine Coon who was a very special cat and turned me into a cat person, I did everything the vet said. The diet recommended was SCience Diet Dry "because it was better for the teeth". WRONG WRONG WRONG. Cats need a quality wet food as they need to get water from their food. In the wild, cats don't go around searching for grains or dried out food. They kill small animals and eat grass. They eat fresh raw food.

Because of the awful diet and due to my vet neutering him at probably too young an age he developed feline urologic syndrome FUS. at a very young age. He had a few very touch and go hospitalizations as a result of this. Then I finally discovered Anitra FRazier's The New Natural CAt
and started following the diet and supplments recommended and noticed a HUGE improvement in my cat's health. The FUS attacks STOPPED! His coat turned from dry to rich and shimmery and glossy!

By then it was too late. I too had been bringing him religiously TO THE VET for those NASTY shots every six months.

One day I came home and he wasn't waiting for me or looking out the window for me the way he always used to. I searched through my house and found him stiff and cold in one spot where he used to take naps. He was ONLY 9 years OLD for Pete's sake! It was the Medical Establishment that cut his life short. Probably he had Cardiomyopathy which Maine Coons are susceptible to ESPECIALLY IF VACCINATED TOO MUCH or at all. Darn it!

I was a wreak for 6 months or longer literally having unexpected crying jags. I missed him SO MUCH. I had trained him to do tricks so many in fact that with a few more, he could have been a hearing ear cat. Luckily I was self employed. I don't know how it would have been if I'd had to go through the grieving around co-workers. I said I'd never get another cat because I couldn't go through the pain of losing him suddeenly like that.

A year later someone on a forum 3 hours away from me told me about a stray cat that someone took in but couldn't keep. I drove up and saw this stunning kitty an obvious perfect Norwegian Forest Cat specimen. The lady who had cared for him told me that he already at just two or three yeard old had had bouts of FUS!!!! So I decided to take him VOWING NEVER AGAIN to blindly follow a vet's advice about diet, prevention and wellness and with the help of my Naturopath and a mostly raw food diet keep this cat healthy. Knock on wood, he seems a lot younger than his 16 years (which my first cat should have lived to be and could have if I had only known about natural medicine and health back in those days).

So now you know where I'm coming from.I think vaccinations do more harm than good. To prevent my cat from coming in contact with a racoon that might be contagious with something, I simply would not let my cat go near the wild animal. He is mostly indoors or being watched if he is outdoors and he is trained to come when called. He plays with or maybe will eat a gecko, and that is about it.

Any sort of AIDS or HIV condition is very treatable with a number of natural medicines and hardly prevented by vaccinations. Isn't it common knowledge that in years when they run out of the flu vaccine there are fewer incidents of the flu but when there is plenty to go around there are also more cases of the flu?

Think about it. How did the Indians survive when they got sick? They didn't have vaccinations or western medicine. They had what nature provided - natural medicine---which works if people would just give it a chance and go to someone, like a trained Naturopath who really knows about it.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

It's not that people don't want vets to make a living, it's that people don't want to be intimidated into having unnecessary vaccines injected into their otherwise healthy animals. Here's a snip from a very good article I've posted before on Cd...this part is about the rabies vaccine in particular...(link to article is below the quote)

One vaccine at four months of age will protect most cats for life. If one booster vaccination is administered, almost all animals (95 percent) are immunized for life. (Schultz)

Vaccination for Cats: Helpful or Harmful?

I don't do anything yearly except bloodwork and chemistry for the older pets...they've all had their sets of vaccinations during kitten & puppy-hood, and that's all that is needed IMO. It's definitely not that I don't want vets to get paid very well for what they do, it's that I genuinely don't believe it's in my animals' best interest to be shlepped to the vet every year just so they can be injected with chemicals they don't really need. People will disagree, and that's fine .

Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
The key is finding an ethical vet not focused on profit, which was not my experience with the VOA franchise I took Weasie to for too long but happily is the case now. Seeing a big display of pet foods in the lobby of the office should be the first indication that this is not where you want to be taking your beast.
Weasie was subjected to a laundry list of "necessary" vaccinations in the VOA franchise days. Her current vet told me straight up that she was safely innoculated for life against everything but rabies. For that she's given a mild booster shot every three years. Seeing as how she's approaching her nineteenth birthday as an indoor-outdoor cat, the dubiously essential injections from earlier times couldn't have been all that damaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats