Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

Luv, I cannot thank you enough for posting what you did. You are speaking the Truth, and I am proud of you for doing so. Don't stop speaking out, for someday this Truth will be the "norm" and our cats will not be exposed to this "dangerous" practice of vaccinations on top of vaccinations on top of vaccinations. I stand firm in my own personal life due to the fact I have special needs cats, I am adamant that they will not receive one more vaccination ever right up to their last breath. I'd take a bullet for this! That is how strong I feel about this subject!

I can hear the "complaints" already how your article is too long and too technical, making it difficult for the "common reader" to understand.

Here is a another link to back up your data, Luv.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

And I thank you personally for what you said to me. I am out of "lurk mode".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Luv, I cannot thank you enough for posting what you did. You are speaking the Truth, and I am proud of you for doing so. Don't stop speaking out, for someday this Truth will be the "norm" and our cats will not be exposed to this "dangerous" practice of vaccinations on top of vaccinations on top of vaccinations. I stand firm in my own personal life due to the fact I have special needs cats, I am adamant that they will not receive one more vaccination ever right up to their last breath. I'd take a bullet for this! That is how strong I feel about this subject!

I can hear the "complaints" already how your article is too long and too technical, making it difficult for the "common reader" to understand.

Here is a another link to back up your data, Luv.

Pet vaccination warning. Severe adverse reaction to immunization

And I thank you personally for what you said to me. I am out of "lurk mode".
Thank you for posting this link, my friend !

Maybe if people see these words coming from the mouths of actual vets, they will stop blindly believing that cats "need" routine vaccinatons in order to be "healthy".

Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post

Maybe if people see these words coming from the mouths of actual vets, they will stop blindly believing that cats "need" routine vaccinatons in order to be "healthy".
As was pointed out already, no one is claiming that vaccines are "necessary for a cat to be healthy".

Please understand that not all of us who choose to vaccinate make this choice "blindly". Many of us have make our choices based on a number of things including (but not limited to) reading, researching, personal experience and local laws.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:

Those of us who understand and integrate holistic preventative maintenance into our animals' regime also understand that the immune system is the KEY to vibrant health and protection for our furry companions and that the root of the physical side of holistic healing lies in the boosting of the immune system...

Brevity snips - we all know there can be drawbacks to many medications and vaccines.

Some people into alt' meds can't seem to grasp that there are diseases that overcome the best immune systems and sicken or kill their victims. Why have you not mentioned those diseases?

Quote:
....feed it what it needs and keep anything and everything that could harm it as far away as possible. It's not about buying a zillion "potions", it's about maintaining wellness through the most natural and non-invasive means possible...mainly through diet!
Again you fail to mention those diseases that have nothing to do with strong immune systems or diet..... they can kill the best fed cats or humans where there are no antibodies present against them. By the time the healthy immune system kicks in and starts to fight the disease, the person/animal can already be too far gone to survive.

Quote:
My primary vet is holistic/traditional, and he has the best prices around for just about everything...he doesn't sell any pet food, but he always gives new clients a printout in which he talks about the importance of diet in maintaining health, and actually states that IF we feed our furry friends appropriately, we should NOT have to visit his clinic very much at all...this is clearly not a vet who's trying to make a buck at any animal's expense. I found him when a dear cat of mine was dying from liver failure a few years ago...I had never spent a dime in his clinic, yet he took the time to talk to me for almost 30 minutes, offering advice that unfortunately came too late to save my little man.
What is his source of income? Start there. Doesn't he charge to see people and advise them to feed a raw diet? Or to treat a sick cat?

Quote:
. I'm not saying he could have been saved either way...if it was too late, it was too late...but I AM saying that even if it had not been too late, this overabundance of meds could have (and most likely would have) killed him. I apologize for getting slightly OT, but this is an attempt to show through my own experience that just because a vet tells you vaccinations aren't going to harm your pet, devastating things can, and do, happen as a direct result of them. It's scary enough to do it the first time, not knowing if they'll have some kind of lethal reaction or not...but to risk this every single year??? It is insane IMO...it's playing with fire!

Every year? I agree it's not necessary. The alternative to any vaccination at all is to go back to the days when cats died in large numbers from diseases we can now prevent. Trust me on this... your alt vet isn't going to save your cats if they come down with Pan or rabies. These two have nothing to do with a good immune system.

Quote:
..and I have a houseful of happy, healthy animals that let me know I chose the right path .
And that is a good thing. Just make sure they're not, like the American Indians, exposed to diseases they have no immunity against. Because if they are, like those unfortunate Indians, many of them wont survive.

As for cancer. It's known cancer has a way from hiding from the immune system... and there are many types of cancer. Even those who are fanatical about diet and alt meds die of cancer.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Default To be healthy?

Quote:

Who ever claimed they NEED vaccines to be "healthy?" They need them to prevent deadly diseases like rabies and Pan. I never heard anyone claim vaccines are needed to keep them healthy.

And...this thread was started because someone falsely stated that vaccines destroy the immune system, which they do not, or most Americans wouldn't reach their teen years.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Actual vets? Where? It's a Holistic site. Do you have a good neutral site?

Odd these "vets" don't mention how they plan to treat or cure rabies, Pan and other deadly diseases that unvaccinated cats may be exposed to and catch. How do they plan to cure/treat them? Did they simply forget to mention them?

Breast cancer cured by diet alone? Good grief! That sounds like the holistic Dr. H. Clark's home made "magic zapper" that cures all cancers by killing liver flukes that only she could see.

And that site doesn't make the claim that all the vaccinated Americans and their vaccinated pets are dying from destroyed immune systems caused by vaccines..... which is after all, the subject of this thread. AIDS destroys the immune system, not vaccines.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
That someone is ME who stated that yes vaccines do compromise ie. destroy immune systems. Evidently this link was missed or not read, so again I post it.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

This ongoing battle of this vaccine issue is tiresome. Someone convinced me to come back and post again, mainly because of catsmom21's special needs cats. Knowing what I do, every time a special needs cat is immunized, the health of that cat deteriorates. More and more vets are coming forth saying this is true, and that regardless of the laws, all these vaccinations are harming our animals. Catsmom21, if I were you, I would be studying Aimee's Law Aimee's Rabies Exemption Law: Vaccination Guidelines .

I seriously don't care what some here think, but I do care about the cat that that human is responsible for. When are some of you going to realize that the ones here who have the courage to step forward and say vaccines can be dangerous to the health of your cat, are not just blowing hot air, but do have actual backing with DVM's now, who they themselves have found the courage to step forward?

Have any of you even given it a thought's notice that my vet is NOT fighting me regarding vaccinations for my special needs cats? Maybe she has finally seen enough of the "curses" that come along with repeated vaccinations and the epidemic of chronic diseases that have mushroomed out of control. Maybe she is beginning to see the light, the truth of the harm that vaccines do.

Oh, one last thing. I have you on ignore, Kitty, so even if you rip my words apart as is your usual, I won't be able to read them, and I won't read them. Just sayin'. "Someone" alerted me as to what you said about more or less calling me a liar. So, hence, I posted again the link I did, backing my words up that yes, vaccines are destroying our cats' immune systems. I would read it if I were you.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-22-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
As was pointed out already, no one is claiming that vaccines are "necessary for a cat to be healthy".

Please understand that not all of us who choose to vaccinate make this choice "blindly". Many of us have make our choices based on a number of things including (but not limited to) reading, researching, personal experience and local laws.
Honestly, you are the main reason I went to such lengths in posting an actual study concerning this subject...I was hoping you would actually read it, because I am concerned that your cats, especially your FLUTD, are in danger due to being vaccinated as much as they are.

You might not have come right out and said routine vaccines are necessary for a cat to be healthy, but this is implied when you make statements about dragging your cats to the vet every 6 months and keeping them up-to-date on vaccs. You must think this is both necessary healthy, otherwise why would you do it ?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Honestly, you are the main reason I went to such lengths in posting an actual study concerning this subject...I was hoping you would actually read it, because I am concerned that your cats, especially your FLUTD, are in danger due to being vaccinated as much as they are.

You might not have come right out and said routine vaccines are necessary for a cat to be healthy, but this is implied when you make statements about dragging your cats to the vet every 6 months and keeping them up-to-date on vaccs. You must think this is both necessary healthy, otherwise why would you do it ?
They get PureVax rabies shots because it is the law, and rabies is alive and thriving, where I live. PureVax rabies vaccine does not contain the adjuvant which is thought to be the cause of VAS.

Since you mention my FLUTD kitty, I will use her for example. She is a biter. Do you know what would happen if she bit someone, and was not up to date on her rabies vaccine? At the minimum, 14 day quarantine, in a stainless steel cage, at the vet or a shelter, at my expense.

Away from me and all she loves for 14 days, minimum. And I've read some stories.....these pets that are in enforced quarantine because of biting are not treated nicely.

My FLUTD girl is socialized, by me (it took 3 years) but it is a veneer, only. Not only that, she has a phobia to stainless steel. I really think she would lose her mind if she had to be quarantined away from me for 14 days, in a stainless steel cage. If she bit someone, without an updated rabies vaccine, it would be kinder to euthanize her on the spot.

So I choose the annual purevax vaccine as the lesser risk.

In addition, she has to have a urine culture and now that she is 7, blood work annually. I take my cats to the vet every six months because I am not a vet and I value my vet's expertise in keeping my cats healthy. As closely as I watch over them, I have missed things over the years. FORL. A deep ear infection. Impacted anal glands. Now that I know what I missed, and know what to watch for, those particular things won't go missed again, but there are plenty of other things that can go wrong that my vet might see, that I, seeing the cats every day, might not.

I know how quickly a cat's health can change. Imagine if a tooth ache started a month after an annual check up. We all know how cats hide pain. Imagine going 11 months with a toothache, until the next vet check up, and the vet sees she has a dental problem. I know the vet visit frequency is off topic, but you asked.

I appreciate your concern. I am reading the links and listening to you. My vet and I talk about it, a lot. I realize that in a lifetime of living with cats, the fact that I've not had any problems relating to vaccines, does not mean it won't happen at some point. But the fact remains that it is the LAW in my state that my cats be up to date on rabies vaccine.

When the law changes, I will adjust my thinking and practice, but until that happens, for their own protection, my cats will remain up to date on the rabies vaccine.

PS my cats don't really mind going to the vet. I mean, they don't like it of course, but I think going every six months helps them be used to it. They know the place, they know my vet. In addition to my reasons stated above, I think it reduces the stress of vet visits, going more often.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 PM

@ Kitty...because you quoted me 3 times in 3 separate posts, I'm going to do my best to address all of your questions, but if I forget something, feel free to remind me...

First, let me say that I am talking about routine vaccinations...ie., those which are given yearly after the kitten has already been vaccinated for the deadly diseases you mentioned like pan. I absolutely agree that the first set of vacs is necessary to protect our cats from these things...that was never in question from my side, I've said that all along.

About my vet...he is actually holistic/traditional, so he doesn't practice either one exclusively...he still does plenty of surgeries, well checks, treatment with antibiotics when necessary, etc...and since he's always booked solid for at least a full week before I can get an appointment for a check-up (and usually a couple of months to schedule S/N), I'd say he's doing all right ! He recommends a high-protein, grain-free diet, and encourages people to give actual meat as treats instead of commercially-processed treats. He's also on-board with home-cooked and/or raw diets...what he is NOT on board with is kibble of any kind or most of the brands you find on a grocery store shelf. He doesn't sell or promote any particular brands, he explains what to look for and why it is important to look at the first 5 ingredients in particular and see specific meat sources at the top of that list. I love this vet because he isn't rigid in doing things only one way...he understands the importance of aggressive and more conventional treatment when it's needed, and sometimes it is...I am not anti-meds if those meds will save a life, that's for sure!

The reference I made about some people believing routine (not initial) vaccinations are healthy was not directed at you, it was more of a general statement about how a person is made to feel if they tell a vet "No, I don't want my cat being vaccinated again"...some of them look at you like you're the worst person on the planet. For someone who has NOT done any research or worked in the field, why would they question it? Why would they have any clue that it could be extremely harmful to keep piling on these vaccs? Most of them would be afraid to go against a vet's recommendation, and as a result of this and the laws in-place 160,000 cats die every year from cancer at the vaccination sites. This is why they do it on the leg or tail now...because cancer is so common at the vaccination site they do it on a place which can be easily amputated .

RE Garden's link...did you look beyond the site and see the quotes from actual vets? They're right there...just because it's a holistic site doesn't mean real vets don't get quoted on it . And I did post a link to a legitimate study...you quoted me from that post, but it seems you didn't read the link itself. I pulled several quotes from it, but you should read it in its entirety, and yes, there are findings that point strongly toward ROUTINE (not initial) vaccinations damaging the immune system.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I absolutely DO agree with initial vaccinations for our furry friends once their immune systems have matured...there are some very nasty killer diseases out there, I've held tiny puppies dying from parvo in my hands and cried as another tech injected them with the shot that would end their suffering...it's ugly, and something I'll never forget. But many of these puppies HAD been vaccinated for parvo, and the clients would be shocked...they didn't understand that until the immune system is mature enough, vaccines aren't very effective, so it's still very important to keep a puppy AWAY from dog parks, petsmart, and anywhere that is not a controlled and clean environment until that immunity kicks in. Same holds true for kittens...the very best prevention is to keep them inside where they won't come into contact with disease, keep the house very clean, take your shoes off or at least wipe the bottoms off before walking through the door, etc. until their immunity kicks into gear at around 6 months of age.

I hope that's everything...cuz it sure took awhile, going up and down from post to post, trying to address all these questions, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats