Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times

Advertisements

Some info right off the top of my head. The label on the vaccination bottle says Vaccinate Healthy Animals ONLY.

My cats, every single one of them, have a documented dis-ease, and no way no way no way, will I take the chance ever again to expose them to vaccinations. I have enough on my hands.

And oh, for those of you who "think" having a certain number of cats is a hoarder....You are not walking in that person's shoes. As in my case, every single one of these cats, after I adopted the first FOUR, came to me dying, ill, or hurt. Let me repeat. They came to me. I did NOT go out looking for them. And, because they are all struggling with potentially life threatening diseases, they shall not be vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund
So why on earth do so many vets push yearly vaccinations?
Its all about $$ they get $$$$ everytime (They dont care about the health of animals as much as getting $$$$ )

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM

216 posts, read 830,287 times
Found another blog entry with vaccination info on a blog I follow:
http://catsndogsnaturally.blogspot.c...et-or-not.html

Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM

54 posts, read 229,023 times
I'll admit I did get a feline luek vaccination for Bindi but only because he'd dart outside at our other group home and turned out it wasn't a bad move even though he doesn't dart outdoors anymore the cats next door have both FIV and Feline luek.. we also get a lot of stray cats around here.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Some info right off the top of my head. The label on the vaccination bottle says Vaccinate Healthy Animals ONLY.

My cats, every single one of them, have a documented dis-ease, and no way no way no way, will I take the chance ever again to expose them to vaccinations. I have enough on my hands.

And oh, for those of you who "think" having a certain number of cats is a hoarder....You are not walking in that person's shoes. As in my case, every single one of these cats, after I adopted the first FOUR, came to me dying, ill, or hurt. Let me repeat. They came to me. I did NOT go out looking for them. And, because they are all struggling with potentially life threatening diseases, they shall not be vaccinated.
Yes, I believe in most places if you provide documentation proving a cat has a disease the vaccinations can be waived...my mom, for example, doesn't have to get her cat vaccs because he has a heart condition.

And I agree, hoarding is only hoarding if someone can't properly care for the animals they've taken in. If they're all vetted, well-fed, warm, loved, and in sanitary conditions it's not a hoarding situation at all. Some people I know can't even handle 1 or 2 animals, others can handle a mini-zoo...it all depends on the situation and the capabilities of the human in question.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times
I agree about the hoarding. A friend of ours has 12 cats, they are very well taken care of, fed and healthy, lots of room to play and run. Big difference between that and the hoarders that have starving, unhealthy animals, whose house is full of feces, urine etc. and some even had dead animals in the house...

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 AM

216 posts, read 830,287 times
Found this interesting website/blog that deals with changing rabies vaccination laws across all states, in the following link it lists the 14 states that grant a rabies exemption for medical reasons, my state is not among them, but all states I already have considered moving to, for other reasons:

Aimee's Rabies Exemption Law: States that Grant Rabies Exemption

Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyway, the other area where there is pressure to vaccinate is from pet insurance companies. One has to comply with all the fine print in order for the company to cover expenses and have them be deemed as eligible. And one of those fine print items is for yearly/routine vaccinations. This is my predicament.
Why buy pet health insurance? It doesn't cover enough to warrant the cost of premiums. Even my vet said that. They fight claims as much as they can, and often do find ways to deny them. Take a look at their exclusions list sometime. Pressure to vaccinate is all the more reason not to buy the insurance.

I wouldn't ever buy pet health insurance.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
I thought that too, but pet insurance has come a looooong way and there are some good companies out there that do not place the kinds of limits the early insurance companies did (and some still do).

If I had (good) pet insurance for my golden, during her surgery & chemo treatments, I would not have paid a total of $7K out of my pocket. I would not have paid $5K the 2 years before, on multiple UTI infections...leading to surgery, multiple tests, multiple visits to the vet, etc.

Sure, I would have paid some of that cost. And yes, I would have put in about $5K of insur. premiums if I had her insured each year of her life. I calculated that over her nearly 11 yrs I spent about $22K on various surgeries, ailments, medicines, etc. and I'm being conservative. It could be as high as $25K. She had several issues throughout her life, the most expensive one being the cancer and the treatments.

With insurance I probably would have spent (including premiums) about half of that.

If you have a pet and they get cancer, it costs thousands to treat them over their illness.

Insurance doesn't always make financial sense, that's true. You're taking a bet, essentially. But in my particular case, it would have made a difference in my bank account, given what I know now and what I can calculate I spent.

You always, always have to read the fine print. But to outright say that pet insurance is never a good idea...well...I used to think that too and I was so very wrong.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
Found this interesting website/blog that deals with changing rabies vaccination laws across all states, in the following link it lists the 14 states that grant a rabies exemption for medical reasons, my state is not among them, but all states I already have considered moving to, for other reasons:

Aimee's Rabies Exemption Law: States that Grant Rabies Exemption
Oh, Ulri, how awful that your state will not exempt a sick cat from vaccinations. That is just downright wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats