Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the information. Our oldest cat was taken in for her rabies shot. I told the vet to bypass the other boosters. I told her we had indoor-only cats and I don't want them getting cancer down the road. She looked disappointed but did as I requested.

The other two aren't due yet for their rabies shots but they wont get the FIV etc boosters either. They all had those shots before we adopted them so all we can hope for is they never get cancer.

They're getting the 3-year rabies shot so they wont see the vet again for another 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
exactly. wonder how much is really just about money. The vet today told us that he asked one of the pharma reps years ago about the vaccines and he said they probably would be good for 10 years. So why on earth do so many vets push yearly vaccinations?
I cannot agree more strongly. Please do not get your indoor cats vaccinated. It really does cause more problems than anything else! This could be one of the reasons why my Molly has heart murmurs today. Two years ago, or was it three???, I got her vaccinated.

Never never never never again! I made that promise to myself when I lost my Princess because of a sarcoma........Never!

Here is a link for more information....
Vaccination for Cats: Helpful or Harmful?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Thanks for all the information. Our oldest cat was taken in for her rabies shot. I told the vet to bypass the other boosters. I told her we had indoor-only cats and I don't want them getting cancer down the road. She looked disappointed but did as I requested.

The other two aren't due yet for their rabies shots but they wont get the FIV etc boosters either. They all had those shots before we adopted them so all we can hope for is they never get cancer.

They're getting the 3-year rabies shot so they wont see the vet again for another 3 years.
PLEASE don't get your cats vaccinated ever again! Please!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

216 posts, read 830,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I cannot agree more strongly. Please do not get your indoor cats vaccinated. It really does cause more problems than anything else! This could be one of the reasons why my Molly has heart murmurs today. Two years ago, or was it three???, I got her vaccinated.

Never never never never again! I made that promise to myself when I lost my Princess because of a sarcoma........Never!

Here is a link for more information....
Vaccination for Cats: Helpful or Harmful?
Thank you, Garden, for the interesting link.
What also gets me upset when speaking of laws and supposed care and protection and just money making is the fact that mandatory rabies vaccination for dogs and cats are ONLY intended and put in place for the protection of humans, not dogs and cats.
And on top of that the vets themselves receive their ONE required rabies shot in the beginning of their career, and from then on work only with titers, because the rabies vaccine is thought to be so harmful.

I also hate how in this county (yes county, not country, no typo) animal control always uses the rabies shot as an indicator on how good someone takes care of their animal.
You can have 25 indoor only cats, a neighbor calls animal control to check on the situation, and if the cats are up to date on their mandatory shots you are considered a good caretaker, if they are not vaccinated you are a hoarder and they can take the cats away from you.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post
Thank you, Garden, for the interesting link.
What also gets me upset when speaking of laws and supposed care and protection and just money making is the fact that mandatory rabies vaccination for dogs and cats are ONLY intended and put in place for the protection of humans, not dogs and cats.
And on top of that the vets themselves receive their ONE required rabies shot in the beginning of their career, and from then on work only with titers, because the rabies vaccine is thought to be so harmful.

I also hate how in this county (yes county, not country, no typo) animal control always uses the rabies shot as an indicator on how good someone takes care of their animal.
You can have 25 indoor only cats, a neighbor calls animal control to check on the situation, and if the cats are up to date on their mandatory shots you are considered a good caretaker, if they are not vaccinated you are a hoarder and they can take the cats away from you.
That is what our vet told us today! He is in his 50's and told us he had to get a rabies shot while he was going to school. When he went back they checked the titer and told him that giving the vaccine again and again could cause renal failure. Hmmmm. It is probably no coincidence that so many cats (and dogs?) are dying of renal failure!!!!!
Same thing here with using shots as an indicator of how "well" people take care of their animals. I take care of my animals to the very best of my abilities, but will I get them vaccinated if it can be helped at all? NOPE.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM

380 posts, read 833,638 times
GREAT thread -- GREAT links!!

If I may add ....

"New Vaccination Protocols -
It's Not Controversial Anymore"

Index

Dr. Bob Rogers, he sued over it Class Action Law suit

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM

The more I think about it the angrier it makes me.
I know some people who will vaccinate their indoor only cat for everything and anything available and on top of that squeeze chemical flea control on their neck routinely.
I know people who are completely against vaccination and will not vaccinate and when it comes to rabies, have a positive attitude and when someone stops by and checks, you simply forgot.
I have heard of folks who fake the paperwork for rabies shot.
In the case I mentioned above where animal control checked on a household with 25 indoor only cats (a true case, I know them) they were not satisfied with just paperwork, the called the vet to have it confirmed.
I have done some research on states like California, where to my knowledge rabies vacc. is not mandatory for cats, but when it comes to bringing a cat with large bite wound to the vet the case is handled just like in other states.
No rabies vaccination, cat will be put down.
Now what if you have indoor only cats and never vaccinate them and some dog person visits your house, pats the cat on the head, gets badly scratched up, the scratches become infected (ya'll know how easy that can happen), he sues you or calls animal control or takes some other idiotic measure that all lead to you having to prove to some county official that your cat is not rabid.
Just thinking along here.....
I have now dragged my 4 1/2 year old felines to the vet in October for a 3year shot, after thinking it all over and over (they are outdoor/indoor, and as I mentioned above, I have no fear of them catching rabies, but fear of them being put down if biten by the neighbor's dog or other animal).
I dreaded it, I hated the thought of all that poison entering their body, and I dread even more the thought of having to do it again in 3 years and again and again....
I now have 3 years to think about it (according to the vet they will not change any laws any time soon, also not the 1 year adjuvant free just for felines shot), and 3 years to think about how to get around it next time without breaking any law or risking the lives of my felines.
I am angry, angry, angry...

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
25 indoor cats in one regular-size house? Yep, a cat hoarder.

I have a friend who has 12 cats and she is a hoarder, along with being a cat hoarder. I've never seen the inside of her house, but if the inside of her 2 cars are any indication... :-O She's always talking about how some of her cats pee on everything, including the kitchen counters and up the wall, on her clothes, etc. And she swears she has enough clean litter boxes around. Her house is 3,000 sq ft.

Anyway, the other area where there is pressure to vaccinate is from pet insurance companies. One has to comply with all the fine print in order for the company to cover expenses and have them be deemed as eligible. And one of those fine print items is for yearly/routine vaccinations. This is my predicament.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Angry TN law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
PLEASE don't get your cats vaccinated ever again! Please!!!!!!!
It's the law in TN to get a yearly rabies booster. You can be sure some greedy vets and big Pharma is behind this law. Whatever, they wont get a rabies booster for as long as I can stall it off. Our home is new so mice and bats cannot get in. There is no way they can be exposed to rabies or other contact diseases.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM

Here is an interesting article by a (former) cat breeder on vaccinations:
http://www.blakkatz.com/vaccination.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats