Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

834 posts, read 2,691,943 times

Advertisements

I recently moved a few blocks away from my previous house and took the cat with me. He used to be an inside/outside cat in the other house...but per forum recommendations I kept him inside the new house, until a week after we moved. During a certain time of day when he's usually in a closet upstairs, we were unloading some purchases from the car and left the door open. Well...the cat snuck out and I tried following him. It was at night so I couldn't see well. I later saw him in my backyard porch but when I opened the door he ran away again into hiding. I checked around the neighborhood...even went back to the other house to see if he was there...but nothing. There are other cats in the neighborhood so not sure if he left with them or what.

If anyone have any recommendations of what to do let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,318,077 times
If you have a dog take it around the neighborhood to get it's scent around and the cat may follow you home. Otherwise put up notices everywhere and vow to get your next pet microchipped. Good luck. going thru a move is traumatic enough but to loose a pet is horrible on top of horrible.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,384,768 times
Cyberhugs. I hope you find your kitty, soon. Do you think a neighbor took him inside? Or
maybe he got confused and slipped into someone else's house? Try checking with your new neighbors if they've seen him. Maybe he finally went back to your old house and is camped out there, hiding? I'd keep checking there a couple times a day. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM

834 posts, read 2,691,943 times
not sure Mrs. Skeffington. There one other cat around this street that looks almost identical to mine (tail is fluffier than mine). I will check again for the other house and see if the neighbors are outside to ask.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
Good luck. Put some of the food he likes out and keep looking. Your odds are pretty good IMO.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 56,963 times
Hi, I hope you are able to find your kitty! Here are a few things that I have heard, not sure if they work or not though:

-put out a bowl of food for him
-put out some of his used litter if you have any(supposedly he would know his own smell and come back)
-if you do see him again, instead of trying to grab him just leave the door open for him to come in (he might have strangers trying to grab him and be afraid of the gesture)
-definitely put pictures/lost signs up around the neighborhood, as your new neighbors wont recognize that he's your cat, may think its a stray
-give the above pictures/lost signs to the local animal shelters just in case he gets picked up

I really hope you find him, good luck!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,003,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxflame1 View Post
Hi, I hope you are able to find your kitty! Here are a few things that I have heard, not sure if they work or not though:

-put out a bowl of food for him
-put out some of his used litter if you have any(supposedly he would know his own smell and come back)
-if you do see him again, instead of trying to grab him just leave the door open for him to come in (he might have strangers trying to grab him and be afraid of the gesture)
-definitely put pictures/lost signs up around the neighborhood, as your new neighbors wont recognize that he's your cat, may think its a stray
-give the above pictures/lost signs to the local animal shelters just in case he gets picked up

I really hope you find him, good luck!
All the above sound good to me.

I just wanted to add that, at two different times in the past 50 years, I have had a cat go missing for over 14 days and return on their own. And for what it is worth, both were males.

Don't give up! And may your furry four-footed friend return to you soon!

monty

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,342,726 times
All the said advice is good. But i'd also set out an article of clothing/blanket/bed sheet with your scent on it along with something familer to the cat outside the door too.

I hope the best and kitty comes home soon.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Our old cat, who was overly friendly with the neighbors, would dissappear overnight and we'd be worried. Next day, he'd come strolling in like Mr. Snootypants, stinking of cigarette smoke. No one at my house smokes, so it meant a neighbor took him in overnight. Once, he got shut up in the attic, when my husband lifted the ladder and shut the trapdoor. Is there anyplace like that your cat could have gone in and been shut up?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM

What's happening with your kitty, Houston? Has she turned up yet? Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats