Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times

Advertisements

We moved to our new home last week, moved on Wed, but our kitties came on ahead (went with dh while I finished packing and moved). So the kitties have been in the new home about a week. We planned to keep them inside for at least 2-3 weeks until they became used to their new surroundings. We did put them in cages then out on the patio every night for about 30 min to get used to the new smells.

Well, Thurs night, my kids left the front door wide open. When we woke up Friday, the door was open and one of our cats, Rudy, was missing. As of late Sat night he still hasn't returned.

Poor kitty, he doesn't have the faintest idea where he is. he's probably looking for "home" which is now 200 miles away. We've tried everything, including putting up posters, posting on Craig's List. Also, its been my experience when a cat is lost he's usually somewhere close by, so we put out bowls of tuna and macerel, and hung used laundry on the back fence, to attract him home. That's about all we can do.

My kids aren't babies, they're 12 & 13, old enough to know better, expecially after we explained it to them. Also, think of the danger they exposed us to, sleeping all night with the front door wide open. We had an alarm system in our previous house, we will get one installed here, but that won't help Rudy.

I'm so upset right now, I told both kids I am cancelling their summer camp, which comes up in a week, for being so irresponsible. After all, like I said, they're old enough to take some basic responsibility, especially when it concerns the well being of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,378,207 times
Oh no Marylee. I was worried you were going to say it was Marshmellow again! But poor Rudy.

Sleeping with the front door open all night - yikes!
If I were you, I would put up some posters back in your previous neighborhood, or put out some feelers. It's entirely possible (but depends a bit on how long you were there for beforehand) that he's making his way back home, to your old home.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Oh no Marylee. I was worried you were going to say it was Marshmellow again! But poor Rudy.

Sleeping with the front door open all night - yikes!
If I were you, I would put up some posters back in your previous neighborhood, or put out some feelers. It's entirely possible (but depends a bit on how long you were there for beforehand) that he's making his way back home, to your old home.

The old neighborhood is 110 miles away, but cats have been known to travel that far, god idea

We're going back to the old home today to put some finishing touches, will take some flyers, it mght sound far-fetchec but can't hurt.

My grandmother gave me a piece of advice that always seems to work---first time a cat goes outside, put butter on their paws. They lick the butter, then they leave a saliva trail that leads them home. Only time this didn't work I used margarine!

Seriously, its a ritual with us, always butter their paws bgefore going out ina new place. But we didn't have a chance with Rudy. Poor kitty! I've learned they usually stay close to home, and to use scents, put out dishes of tuna, mackeral, hang out old clothes, etc. Also sit out used litter, and walk the neighborhood, perhaps the cat will hear yu, but also you leave a scent trail, wear old shoes.
!
I'm so worried about poor Rudy!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,674,085 times
MaryLee, cats are exceptionally brilliant, please keep this in mind. Keep doing exactly what you are doing, like hanging out worn laundry and food dishes. And pray. I know the power of prayer works. If the word prayer bothers you, then how about intent? Put out the INTENT that your Rudy will return soon and unharmed.

Oh, OH, I can feel your panic. I would be going out of my mind with worry and all the "facts" about cats and all the well wishing would be flying right out the window. Just hang in there. I feel so badly for you.

Rusty is in my prayers as of this moment. And so are you.

As well as for your kids, I'm on the same line as you are. If they were my kids, camp would definitely be canceled. You are right. They are old enough to know better and to take responsibility.

......and no phone, no computer, no texting, grounded, no music, no TV, no movies, no junk food, for the rest of their lives......

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 07-25-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Oh, no! Praying Rudy comes home soon. Hang in there.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,435,544 times
Put some unwashed clothes of yours and your family's outside, that may help him find his way home.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,072,930 times
What worked for me was to go out in the middle of the night leaving a small pile of his food on several street corners or areas around your house. I would also call him as I walked around. My cat was gone for several days, either lost or stuck in someone's garage. I had to do this 2 nights in a row, but he did come back. I think it helped create a smell zone so he knew which way was home.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,331,829 times
I hope Rudy is found soon. Sending good vibes your way!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Oh no! Sending a prayer up to St. Francis (he's helped me before!) that Rudy finds his way home. Sending you a hug too!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,592,604 times
Oh, poor Rudy, you must be out of your mind with worry! Just keep doing what you're doing, and know I'm sending positive thoughts your way...cats are really brilliant and I'm sure once he catches the familiar smells he'll find his way back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats