Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,412,275 times

Advertisements

I thought we might lighten the mood and discuss how we will become eccentric as we grow older.

I predict I will wear purple and a red hat, just because I can. I will have long hair still, and plan many trips I probably will never take. I will probably have six pairs of glasses, and never be able to find one unless it's on my head. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
Hahaha!

I will have very short, very spiky platinum blonde hair. I will wear colorful, flowing tops, scarves, and I will mortify my younger relatives by wearing leggings. I will also wear clogs a lot. And berets. Lots of berets in the wintertime.

I will smoke long, skinny menthol cigarettes whenever I want to. Which may be never, but if I want to, doggone it I'm going to.

I'll listen to Fiddler On the Roof music, and Chopin, and lots of Bach and Handel and Mozart. The thing is, I will be conducting the orchestra the entire time with great gusto - my flowing sleeves flapping in the wind. And I'll be playing that stuff really loud because I'll be hard of hearing.

I'll be a naughty grandmother and great grandmother and let the little kids say "Hell" and "Damn" and "Ass" at my house. But they can't say the B word, the F word, or use any racial slurs, or take God's name in vain. All that mild cussing though? Fine by me - I'll teach them how to say them properly, in fact.

They will also be allowed to eat cookies at my house, and stay up late, and drink things with caffeine in them. But the trade off is this: They let me pick the music and the movies and the books.

I will go on trips to exotic places and I will NOT go on group tours. I may go to Paris completely by myself and spend three or four days at the Louvre, and spend the evenings people watching in an outdoor cafe. I may come on to the waiter. And we'll see what happens.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:06 PM

579 posts, read 435,722 times
I will sing and dance to 80s music, much to the embarrassment of my grandchildren. I will probably continue to have long hair. I might have chickens (and talk to them). I'll no doubt dress differently than most other elderly dress.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 68,532 times
This was a great idea for a thread!!

I'll try and keep up with pop culture as much as I can just to make other younger people (especially my grandkids) laugh. There's nothing worse than being an uncool old person!

I will practice my "wise words" and mantras so that I'll always have something to whip out when I need to.

I won't give up and let my appearance go. Taking care of myself and keeping a fun stylish appearance will be fun.

And I won't be afraid of cursing every once in awhile

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,326,696 times
I'm already considered a bit "unique", so I'm sure I'll phase into straight eccentric at some point.

I'll likely still have long hair but will have a wig to wear when I want to (hair is thinning out).

My closet will pare down but I'll wear vivid colors as long as I'm alive. During the winter I'll probably dress like I'm headed for the tundra since I hate to feel cold.

I'll leave the house to putter around wherever I want to go whenever I want to go, and I'll catch the bus by my house to get around. I'll have more time for friends but will finally enjoy the time alone at home.

The same unpredictable cornucopia of collected music will still blare from my stereo, and I'll be an 80-sum year-old still listening to Aerosmith and John Lee Hooker.

I hope to be an untrusting, snappy old bird that won't fall prey to elder scams. I'll try to still garden, although I'm sure it will cut back a lot.

I think my memory will give me some challenges, but by dammit I will still remember why I still don't like someone! On the other hand, I do expect my overall health to improve after I retire.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,977,522 times
I've been eccentric for a good many years so my next step will probably be flat-out loony.

My diet is strange: I insist on a bagel with cream cheese every morning. Lunch can be at 11 am or 3 pm, and can be leftovers or a 3 course meal. Supper can range from a sandwich, Chinese take-out, or a bag of cookies and a glass of milk.

I don't forget too many things because I have lists all over the place. A list for the store. A list of chores that I hope to accomplish, some time in the next few months. A list of where I need to be and when.

My music tastes run from the Fab Four to CCR to Beethoven to Paul Simon to Rachmaninoff. Give me something with a strong bass line.

Since I hate the bulk of winter clothes, I stay inside on the coldest days and if forced to go out, (I ran out of ice cream), I'll wear a bulky sweater and ignore the comments of people who say, "Aren't you cold?" (Yes, I'm cold but at least I fit behind the steering wheel!)

I make allowances for the elderly but not for young people who think they know everything. They haven't lived long enough to know even half. As for me, I look forward to learning something new every day, even if it's only where I put my list.

When can I expect to notice the loony setting in? I'm already 80.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,252,744 times
I am already old. I don't think I am too eccentric yet, but you other posters make it sound so much fun!

I want to wear flowy dresses and scarves. I want to eat ice cream every day. I want to have a maid. I want to have a garden filled with roses and daylilies, but no lawn. I want to plant a linden tree.

How will I be eccentric? I might skip church. (I am tired of church, frankly) I want to make some sort of art. I intend to dress with lots of color and pattern, even in dreary PNW wintertime.

I intend to paint every piece of furniture I own. I am sick of brown furniture! And I'll never drive in ice or snow again, ever.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,318,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I will probably have six pairs of glasses, and never be able to find one unless it's on my head. :-)
Or, like me, not even when they're on my head...is that eccentric?
I wear jeans...everywhere.
I wear colorful toques..... and gumboots...even to the city.
I still pick up coins when I see them on the ground....even a dime or a nickel.
I fear doctors, lawyers and police.
I distrust all gov officials.
I get all my clothes and footwear from second hand or free stores.
I drive a beater and have no desire to waste money on a new vehicle with all the chips that make it impossible to work on and fix yourself.
I will heat my home with wood to my dying day.
I still love and use my old rotary phone...you'll never catch me texting.
I still believe that babies are a blessing and DON'T cost piles of money to raise.
I still believe that children are best served with one parent at home.
I eat dessert first...not last.

Not sure if I'm eccentric though.....

Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,318,241 times
I don't care if my socks don't match...long as there's two .

Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,171 times
So funny Meyerland. I will have different types of hair styles with stylish looking dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving