Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Well for all the hoopla of how great Cancer Treatment Centers are my brother is exactly where his original oncologist put him last July.......dam I wish he had come back east & went to Sloan...

He is being transferred to hospice today & the morphine drip will start..trying to gauge how many days to block out and fly out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well for all the hoopla of how great Cancer Treatment Centers are my brother is exactly where his original oncologist put him last July.......dam I wish he had come back east & went to Sloan...

He is being transferred to hospice today & the morphine drip will start..trying to gauge how many days to block out and fly out there
I'm sorry Kate.
Farrah lasted 3 weeks with the morphine drip from what I know & IMO, probably prolonged her life. My dad on the other hand, hardly had any & passed within a few days - he did not want the morphine; but was given some to help his breathing. At the point where hospice was called in for my dad; his body had already started shutting down; he had a catheter; they could tell from the urine color.

Hospice can usually tell you how long he realistically has. We were told a few days to a week depending on him.

At another forum I go to; one posters hubby was put in a coma so that he would not feel pain while he passed. This is something I would look into if there is no hope.

Keep us posted as much as you can.

~Hugs

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 AM

He's bad. Liver in failure, lungs filling up with fluid, blood infection
Just hope it goes quickly....I want to fly out there but he would not even know I was there..

You are so correct...need to educate yourself on treatments..that article you posted was excellent

Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
He's bad. Liver in failure, lungs filling up with fluid, blood infection
Just hope it goes quickly....I want to fly out there but he would not even know I was there..
Kate, my dad knew I was with him; even on the last day.
It was very sad; woke up & he wanted to get out of bed; he knew he had a Dr's appointment on Monday's. At some point, he had a massive bowel movement; then settled down. Hospice said the body was cleaning itself out.

I then had my own appointment, my hubby stayed with him; but he was with it & knew what was going on; was also talking. I got back about 2; had called the funeral place; told my dad that the DNA place was coming at 7:30; (there was question on whether he was my bio dad - he was) he said "that's great" then slept. At some point, he woke up and was not able to speak. He tried to say something to me & couldn't. I had him blinking his eyes to answer yes & no. He was not in pain & didn't want morphine.

When the DNA place came at 7:30, he was fully aware of the lady being there and was able to follow directions on us moistening his mouth. After she left, he let me give him a 1/2 dose of morphine. I ran home to shower quick; letting my son have alone time; when I got back he was ready to go; his vitals dropped. He was ware of us standing by his bed, holding his hands. At one point my "mother" said to him "dad don't go" and he opened his eyes & shot her a nasty look. He then closed his eyes again; at one point he opened his eyes and looked at me; then breathed in and that was it.

So, if you feel you want to be with your brother one last time; go.

Quote:
You are so correct...need to educate yourself on treatments..that article you posted was excellent
I'm sorry your brother's care did not work. The best thing you can do to help others is to tell his story so that someone else doesn't make the same mistakes he did. I hope you don't mind; I sent the links to your posts to someone a week ago. This woman had bad feelings about a Dr doing a biopsy on her the next morning. It turns out he had infractions against him in another state. She canceled the biopsy & found someone board certified.

~HUGS

Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Of course they do. How else do you think they fund their billion dollar industry? Until people STOP supporting the money-making cancer machine, nothing will change. At the risk of getting negative comments (again and again and again), I encourage you to look over Instinct Based Medicine. There are many safe, and HIGHLY EFFECTIVE treatments that do not involve poisoning your brother's body with chemicals and radiation.

20yrsinBranson
Well it's too late for my brother...Cancer Treatment Centers promised him the moon but he is exactly where his original oncologist told him he would be last July ....back & forth from Denver to Tulsa for months for nothing...they meaning my sil & brother have to be dam near bankrupt if they aren't already.....

He did have a "burst" last month where we all became very hopeful but that was short lived....

I post now so others know there are choices.....investigate everything!!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
my sil & brother have to be dam near bankrupt if they aren't already.....
Kate, I'm dealing with bills today.. spoke to Jefferson - balance not paid by insurance for radiation is $32,000. For the hospital admission for his last chemo, $15,000 but insurance is paying $10,000 IIRC. We then have more at other places (Dr's, tests). We are applying for charity care. Hopefully you can pass that on to your SIL because they should qualify too.

Have you been tested for HPV? If not, make an appointment with your GYN and get tested please. A lot of oral cancers are HPV positive.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Kate, I'm dealing with bills today.. spoke to Jefferson - balance not paid by insurance for radiation is $32,000. For the hospital admission for his last chemo, $15,000 but insurance is paying $10,000 IIRC. We then have more at other places (Dr's, tests). We are applying for charity care. Hopefully you can pass that on to your SIL because they should qualify too.

Have you been tested for HPV? If not, make an appointment with your GYN and get tested please. A lot of oral cancers are HPV positive.
What is that??? I have to tell you doctors are not my fave people and once they start poking & prodding I think they actually wake up things that were dormant so I have not been to a doctor since my daughter was born 32 years ago and then waited until the very last minute so i could deliver her on my terms and not the doctors .......

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that causes a bunch of different cancers. It wouldn't hurt to get tested for it just to make sure you are negative.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Have no new updates will call tonight.....I know if they had bad news to deliver it would wait until I was home from work....
He is at St John's Hospice some where near Denver as Swedish Hospital does not have a hospice unit

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Kate, how are you today?

Not sure if this is the right hospice.
Hospice of St John Lakewood, Colorado

~Hugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer