Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

i need some help please. which city or place in alberta is the best and highest paying in oil jobs. is it fort mc murray, grand prairie, red deer, edmonton, calgary, brooks? which one has the highest labour or jobs demand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM

482 posts, read 2,420,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psc330 View Post
Hi guys,

I've heard alot about the money to be made in the oil fields. And I am realistic when it comes to the fact that it can be really cold up there and that the cost of living is high. My question is this: is it possible to get a good job without Oil experience? Just how good is "good" in terms of pay? $100k? $150? How would you go about finding a "good" job? I'd appreciate any first hand POV on this subject if you've been there. Thanks.
If you have a skill or education that someone is willing to pay for, you can make almost the same money in the city (Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, etc.) as you would in the field without all the negatives described in this thread already.

There is a reason though why the oil & gas industry pays a premium to its employees. The industry is extremely cyclical and many/most skill sets do not translate well to other industries. Feast or famine they say.

As well, the oil & gas industry lets just say isn't the most diverse or open-minded of industries. A very "white suburban dad" culture in the offices and very "redneck" rural culture out in the field. Not saying this is bad, but the oil & gas industry isn't where you want to be if you consider yourself part of the "creative class." Sadly, minorities of color are grossly under represented in the industry in Alberta as well, especially in management, and I at least consider that I problem. Its not the industry for you if you happen to be gay as well... I don't work in the industry because I consider the work in my field within that industry (Engineering) to be very boring with minimal creativity, but they do pay about 20% more than other industries in the province... The money isn't enough for me to work in that type of environment but the each their own I guess...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 10,240 times
Hi There

i found this site to be really useful for jobs in the oil industry.
Oil and Gas Jobs | Oil and Gas Recruitment

Regards

Duncan

Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 27,222 times
I have been an "Oil wife" for the last 13yrs and here's my take Drilling Rigs - Not good if you have a family (Schedule sucks with out of town work - kids really missed Dad ) Service Rigs - Money not as good, but no over night out-of town work. Right now in my area oil has been pretty much shut down since Feb. Hubbie's UI will be running out soon so I am starting to freek. Rumor has it that it "MAY" pick up in Oct but nothing like it use to be. Even Huskey has been forced to re-budget and have cut back. You can constantly "Rig Hop" but like my husband says he's not getting any younger and if you constantly change companies (following the work) your never going to get anywhere. Another thing that helps is if you can get on a rig that has a "days off" rotation - my husband's rig does not - so I never know when he's going to be home, if he does have time off we usually find out too late to plan anything - and most of the time I have to do things like I'm a single parent - it's nice when he's there but I don't plan on it or depend on it. That way I don't rip his head off when he walks in the door because of his timing and the fact that he just missed everything, and I haven't even had a chance to pee after working 12hrs picking the kids up, getting them home,feeding them supper, getting them to activities, getting them back home, homework done, baths,stories and bed. Which brings up another negative of the oil field : It's good when they're working and really bad when they're not - "dependable" income lately it is not, and by the looks of the economy it's not going to change anytime soon!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 PM
ck9

71 posts, read 124,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psc330 View Post
Hi guys,

I've heard alot about the money to be made in the oil fields. And I am realistic when it comes to the fact that it can be really cold up there and that the cost of living is high. My question is this: is it possible to get a good job without Oil experience? Just how good is "good" in terms of pay? $100k? $150? How would you go about finding a "good" job? I'd appreciate any first hand POV on this subject if you've been there. Thanks.
Yes there is kickass money to be made BUT alot of people get there Step off the bus, hold out their hand and expect BIG money. Like they are entitled to it for simply having made the journey.

Last edited by ck9; 12-16-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 03:09 AM

156 posts, read 391,471 times
The oil and gas industry is not just drilling rigs, but the highest starting wages ARE rig hands. I work in well servicing and things have picked up, but not anyone can just get hired like they were doing last fall. Also, drilling rigs that run in sask and man (Estevan/Virden) work 8 hour shifts.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck9 View Post
Yes there is kickass money to be made BUT alot of people get there Step off the bus, hold out their hand and expect BIG money. Like they are entitled to it for simply having made the journey.
ha I know I would hate it cause of the weather -40 is freaking cold for someone from vancouver plus you have to live with a bunch of other people in some cheap motel and with the amount of money guys are making they party hard and blow through it and dont save we had the same problem with the housing boom here in B.C. we made crazy amounts of money then people buying new lifted trucks and ski-doos and boats I mean the parking lots were full of harley edition F250 and ram 2500`s now that the boom is let up they are broke and selling their toys my best friend fell for it he anded up buying a 07 ram 3500 dually for close to 70K and bought did out his 03 mach 1 mustang he was making over 100K after overtime now he has massive truck payments and a car he dumped 20+ grand into now he is just getting by

Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 13,939 times
Hello, figured I would chime in. I was born and raised in Fort McMurray, and at 25, I can see I've seen some changes.

"BUT alot of people get there Step off the bus, hold out their hand and expect BIG money. Like they are entitled to it for simply having made the journey."

This is sooooo true. The thing is, it was true maybe 8 - 9 years ago. I remember quitting jobs that wouldn't give me the weekend off, and finding a new job before noon monday morning. In the last 5 years its like...all of a sudden the world knows about Fort McMurray, and everyone from Mexico to Somalia to China have decided to move here. Jobs are alot harder to come by, especially if your not in a union. And if your hoping to get in a union once here, you may as well pray for divine intervention. Its not going to happen.

If I honestly assessed the situation, the town just isnt worth it. Even if you put aside quality of life and social-life issues, the fact remains that after the extremely high cost of living, your never as financially ahead as you think. And...you cant ignore the quality of life. As pointed out, its cold, its isolated, and its almost entirely guys with too money, no girls, and a face full of cocaine. Its not that theirs not a few bars, but I can almost guarantee you won't want to be in them. You'll just be making due.

Plenty of people figure the way around this is to move here, make alot of money, and move out. Again, it doesnt happen. Once those golden handcuffs are on, they dont come off. Like my dad tells me, he came here to make 50k and move back home....32 years ago. You'll want to leave the moment you arrive, but you wont be able to. (For those reading between the lines, yes, there's a reason Ive never left either. But the money is an addiction, and not a healthy one to have)

As previously mentioned, if your older, its not your town. It'll be too hard. And if your younger...look into northern Sask. Their tar-sands industry is just beginning to start, thats where you want to be.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_matt View Post
As previously mentioned, if your older, its not your town. It'll be too hard. And if your younger...look into northern Sask. Their tar-sands industry is just beginning to start, thats where you want to be.
+1
Big oil companies are moving where there are less taxes

There are jobs in Ft McMurray still. E.g.
Welder Journeyman CWB
url address: wowjobs.ca/job/Welder+Journeyman+CWB-flint+energy-fort+mcmurray+ab-7290110

or in Whitecourt, Alberta
Journeyman Instrumentation Mechanic
url address: miscojobs.com/jobs/L_2/C_5/job_423095.htm

A couple of Instrumentation Technologists with PLC programming skill from Spokane were hired by BC utilities company, based on their US experience. So it really depends on the employers.

If you are trained in reservoir engineering software, there are jobs out there.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,005 times
I would have to agree - Fort mac just isn't worth the price of admission. Look to grande prairie or even Edmonton. Find a good company and pay your dues. 3-5 years later look for some opportunity.
Don't know about northern sask. I worked in southern sask on rigs years ago (born & raised there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada