Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Canadian Province/Territory is the best?
Nova Scotia 7 12.07%
New Brunswick 1 1.72%
P.E.I. 1 1.72%
Quebec 5 8.62%
Newfoundland 4 6.90%
Ontario 13 22.41%
Nunavut 2 3.45%
Northwest Territories 0 0%
Yukon Territory 1 1.72%
British Columbia 17 29.31%
Alberta 6 10.34%
Saskatchewan 0 0%
Manitoba 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM

140 posts, read 563,266 times

Advertisements

I am just curious to know which province Canadians think is the best of the best, the "cream of the crop." Me and my wife would also like to come visit your great country we hear so much about here in the states-- and a survey seemed like the perfect way to highlight which areas stood out from the others.

1. Nova Scotia
2. New Brunswick
3. Newfoundland
4. Prince Edward Island
5. Quebec
6. Nunavut
7. Ontario
8. Manitoba
9. Northwest Territories
10. Yukon Territory
11. Alberta
12. Saskatchewan
13. British Columbia

I might be asking to broad of a question here.. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite American state-- but there are fifty. Which province/territory is the best for sightseeing, has low crime, is aesthetically pleasing, etc. If, say, Northwest Territories is the most scenic and Ontario has the most to do, don't be afraid to mention more than one.

Thank You. I look forward to visiting your wonderful country for the first time in late May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM

41 posts, read 131,121 times
Toronto. Nuff said!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM

215 posts, read 1,661,417 times
Peaceful - PEI
Best place to make a living - Ontario
to get rich - Alberta
to be lazy - Quebec
to visit for a day - BC
to visit for a week - Nova Scotia
to visit for a month - Newfoundland
low crime - PEI
best to drive in - Nova Scotia
best place to raise kids - Nova Scotia
most cultured - tie, Quebec, Newfoundland
nicest people - tie, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland, New Brunswick
least corrupted government - Manitoba
most generous government - Saskatchewan
smallest government - Alberta
best place to be 20 - Ontario
best place to be 40 - BC
best place to be 60 - PEI
best place to be 80 - Nova Scotia
to find a woman/man - Ontario
to be poor - Ontario
to be middle class - BC
to be rich - Alberta
to be a minortiy - tie, Ontario, Alberta
to own a house - Manitoba
to rent - Saskatchewan
to go to school (university) in - New Brunswick

overall

Ontario
Alberta
Nova Scotia
BC
Quebec
Saskatchewan
Manitoba
PEI
Newfoundland
New Brunswick

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,126,231 times
As an American myself, I liked the following Canadian provinces for the various reasons:
- Ontario- Toronto is a great dynamic cosmopolitan city. Niagara Falls is a must-see, make sure you just spend time on the Canadian side
- Nova Scotia- this is a peaceful quaint place, at least Halifax was. Very pleasant atmosphere & very kind people.
- Alberta. Calgary is pleasant enough, but nothing special. But the Rocky Mountains are a nice side trip.
My two favorite parts of Canada would be:
- Montreal is a totally awesome, distinct & eye-opening place with tons to see, do.
- Vancouver is a dynamic place with a great setting. More cosmopolitan than Seattle in my opinion. The Island is another gem of a visit.
If you come from the U.S. Midwest, I'd recommend a Vancouver-Vancouver Island-Seattle combo trip, or a Toronto-Montreal one, or a East Coast Canadian route.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 AM

33,580 posts, read 37,215,319 times
I have been from coast to coast several times. Lived in southern and northern Ontario, worked and played in Toronto, Montreal and many other places in Canada.

I now live in Victoria BC. For my life style, Vancouver Island is the best place in the world....I love the outdoor activities and climate here, not to mention the lack of annoying biting insects, the cool nights and sunny days, but that's just me...Different strokes ya know.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM

140 posts, read 563,266 times
Thank you. All of your replies have been helpful.

My wife really wants to visit Quebec, she is compelled because of her French heritage.
I would really like to visit Ontario and British Columbia. I have seldom heard any bad remarks about Vancouver, and it seems like the epitome of what the Pacific Northwest is; having never been to the Pacific Northwest, I am guessing I will be in for somewhat of an eye-opening experience to new culture.

I would also like to visit Alberta, I believe Calgary is in Alberta, with the geography being so diverse, and a few large cities to visit.

My wife and I are planning on visiting for about 3 weeks. Niagra Falls, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, and Alberta being our main destinations.

I welcome any other suggestions. :]

Old 03-19-2008, 03:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,610,861 times
I chose BC ....it has the best weather and the most interesting geography ...I like mountains ...and BC has plenty of beautiful snow capped peaks ....Pacific Rim National Park near Tofino, BC is a must see ....fantastic hiking ...amazing views ....almost anywhere in BC is great

Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 154,266 times
Quebec, other places in Canada are not much different from the US except maybe atlantic provinces. So if someone want to visit to see something different, I don't think Ontario is very different from northern US major cities.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,763,745 times
Quote:
My wife and I are planning on visiting for about 3 weeks. Niagra Falls, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, and Alberta being our main destinations.
Not trying to throw cold water on your plans, but I hope you're not going to try and cover all that territory in just 3 weeks by car.

Montreal to Toronto = 335 miles

Montreal to Calgary = 2325 miles

Montreal to Vancouver = 2976 miles

Calagary to Vancouver = 655 miles

To first drive to Montreal, head 3000 miles west to vancouver and then have to retrace your steps home wouldn't leave a lot of your 3 weeks to actually stop and see anything.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM

306 posts, read 1,621,761 times
A lot of the discussion and listing here (understandably) focuses on the major cities. No argument here about their merits.

But anyone visiting or exploring Canada would be missing a huge part of Canada's beauty--and its "Canada-ness"--if you didn't spend a good deal of time exploring the country's vast and varied natural beauty away from the cities, too.

This beauty alone--the variety of it, the extent of it, the total unspoiledness of so much of it--marks Canada as an extraordinary place.

Add the fact that a lot of natural beauty is relatively close to the major cities mentioned, and you've got a great, great country, indeed.

Just a few hours outside of vast, sprawling, everything-you-could-want-in-a-city Toronto you can hear wolves, see every star in the sky, drink pure water, have a gorgeous island in a gorgeous lake entirely to yourself, step where perhaps no human being has ever stepped before.

I've heard that Ontario is NOT Canada's most beautiful, balanced province. Maybe not. But, to me, so much of Ontario is so unbelievably beautiful to begin with that anything better would truly be off the charts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada