Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

VICTORIA, British Columbia, Sept. 11 (UPI) -- A 56-year-old Canadian grandmother has graduated from basic training with the Canadian military, becoming the oldest reservist to do so, officials say.

Debbie Dompierre, whose husband and son both have a background in the military, decided to join because she was unable to find a job after a move to Victoria, British Columbia, the Victoria Times Colonist reported.

Read more: Canadian grandma graduates basic training - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
They make em tough up here in Canada eh!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,554 times
What next, conscription for over 60s?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Excellant strategy. The last thing any rogue country needs to see is an army comprised of armed to the teeth, cranky seniors all bitter about the aging process and eagerly wanting to kill something, anything at all, in protest at the unkindness of failing bladder control, coming over the horizon.

We have much less to lose and don't waste as many moments of each day considering risk factors when making decisions. No time is lost contemplating our next romantic event or daydreaming about customizing the Chevy with some bling wheels.

We already carry enough life insurance to make flattening a bunch of rag-heads carrying RPG's with an armoured personnel carrier a non-event. Consider the torture process for information if caught "Where are your assets" - "I can't remember!" "How many are in your unit" - "I can't remember!"

Excellent strategy indeed!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They make em tough up here in Canada eh!
Either that or basic training in the Canadian army is pretty soft.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,795 times
Now there's one granny who smokes cigars and crushes empty beer-cans against her forehead.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times

CF dawn raid on a Taliban compoud, video by Scott Kesterson - YouTube
she is not raiding taliban compounds

Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Excellant strategy. The last thing any rogue country needs to see is an army comprised of armed to the teeth, cranky seniors all bitter about the aging process and eagerly wanting to kill something, anything at all, in protest at the unkindness of failing bladder control, coming over the horizon.

We have much less to lose and don't waste as many moments of each day considering risk factors when making decisions. No time is lost contemplating our next romantic event or daydreaming about customizing the Chevy with some bling wheels.

We already carry enough life insurance to make flattening a bunch of rag-heads carrying RPG's with an armoured personnel carrier a non-event. Consider the torture process for information if caught "Where are your assets" - "I can't remember!" "How many are in your unit" - "I can't remember!"

Excellent strategy indeed!
What nonsense. I'm not even going to ask why you inexplicably assume she is;

a) cranky
b) bitter about the aging process
c) incontinent
d) suffering from memory loss

The fact that she survived basic training makes her a better bet to defend our country than you. I can say that because I know you haven't been through basic training - if you had, you would be filled with admiration and respect instead of catty remarks.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 09-24-2011 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

324 posts, read 714,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Now there's one granny who smokes cigars and crushes empty beer-cans against her forehead.
Let me know when she eats glass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada