Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 PM

62 posts, read 336,728 times

Advertisements

I am 24 and single.

I have been to Toronto Canada for education and work. My duration was 2.5 years. I studied for a year and worked for 1.5 and then packed to return back home due to some personal reasons. Its been a year now.

But somehow I liked it in Toronto. The beach, The library system, the clean environment, the clubbing joints, the fast food joints and good natured people.

I am planning to move again but this time I am planning to try another place before Circling on Toronto. Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver are on my list. I have been to Montreal and Quebec but didnt really like them. Though I swear they are beautiful for tourists.

I am an active person and used to work in the sports and recreation industry. I have been part of many marathons and other big events. I would love the city to be happening. I hit clubbing joints about once a month or two but hang out a lot on weekends. Also I am a vegetarian. I can adjust to all other factors. Also I Absolutely love to drive bikes and cars. Calgary I heard has good roads and is fun to drive around.

My plans are to start a small business wherever I settle but before that I will need to get a job for a year or two to understand the market.

Which city would be better suited to me? your opinions are highly valued.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,520 times
Vancouver sounds a lot more in tune to your personal goals and lifestyle than Toronto. The sports/recreation is Vancouver's strength simply because of all the outdoor recreation within the city limits - the mountains (skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, mountain biking, hiking), the ocean (kayaking, swimming, triathlon, dragonboating, fishing), the nearby rivers (river rafting, canoeing, fishing), the sea wall that surrounds the city (jogging, cycling, running, etc), the beach volleyball, ultimate, soccer teams...

Nightclubbing is not Vancouver's strength when compared to Toronto, but if you're only clubbing once a month, then it really doesn't matter. Vancouver's restaurant scene rivals Toronto's (if it doesn't exceed it due to the availability of fresh seafood and the longer local growing season), and there are many lounges and clubs to entertain you once a month. If you enjoy hanging out on weekends, then Vancouver will keep you occupied...

... a short drive away are the mountains, ferry rides to islands, Seattle, etc. Plenty to do.

Also, Vancouver's vegetarian central. You'll never go hungry.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Hey Robynator,

thanks very much for the reply. That was an honest post and really helpful. How does Vancouver compare to Calgary and Edmonton?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz05 View Post
How does Vancouver compare to Calgary and Edmonton?
In the same way that Boulder, Colorado or Helena, Montana compares to San Francisco.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

70 posts, read 281,278 times
I would agree on Vancouver as I lived there, but am from Alberta. Calgary would be a good second choice with Edmonton a close third. They all have their own pros and cons, but if you like the outdoors I still love Vancouver overall (except for traffic and the still higher cost of living).

Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
In the same way that Boulder, Colorado or Helena, Montana compares to San Francisco.
If Calgary and Edmonton are Boulder and Helena, that makes Vancouver Eureka, OR.

Maybe Calgary for Denver and Edmonton for Minneapolis

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM

How about rain in Vancouver? Is it as bad as cold in Edmonton or Calgary?

Also as per my knowledge its one of the most dense cities in N.America. Compared to this Calgary and Edmonton are the least densely populated.

I read on wikipedia that Calgary has one of the highest real estate prices (Vancouver is first) and poverty is also high in calgary.

any more information on these issues?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz05 View Post
How about rain in Vancouver? Is it as bad as cold in Edmonton or Calgary?

Also as per my knowledge its one of the most dense cities in N.America. Compared to this Calgary and Edmonton are the least densely populated.

I read on wikipedia that Calgary has one of the highest real estate prices (Vancouver is first) and poverty is also high in calgary.

any more information on these issues?
Toronto would likely be first, then Vancouver. Calgary isn't anywhere near as affordable as it was five years ago. Poverty? I guess it all depends on your definition. The economy is running at full bore, and there is less than 2% unemployment. Heck, fry guys at McD's are getting $11 an hour. The problem is that with so much inward net migration, there isn't a lot of vacancy in the rental market, and pressures that way.

I don't think there is anywhere near the homeless population in Calgary as there is in Vancouver, but a huge part of that is climate too.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM

So is rain a good feature of Vancouver or bad?

also do I expect people to be differently mixed as I did while comparing Toronto/Montreal/Quebec? I liked the Toronto mix of people the best.

In Montreal I dont know if it was a mistake, miscommunication or racism but we were given the wrong direction thrice.
Are these kind of problems common in Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 AM

how are the job scenes in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton?

I have majored in business marketing and have a 3 year work ex including half of that in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada