Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 AM

6 posts, read 8,200 times

Advertisements

I'm new here Looking for a great place to live in the UK (probably not much of a chance finding this kind of thing there), US or Canada, with pretty weird requirements. Hoping someone here lives in my family's version of paradise and will vouch for it!

My husband, children and I got together and came up with the following:
- No more than 2hrs away from a major city (500,000+).
- Availability of land (20 acres or more), prices not too important
- Decent ability to grow things there, ie not desert
- In or close to a town with conveniences, ie grocery stores, cultural things
- Close to a major body of water (one of the great lakes or the ocean)
- Experiences all four seasons distinctly
- Considerable rain and snow, my whole family prefers cold weather and would love to live somewhere with a lot of rain (800-900mm and up) and at least some snow
- Not hick country. Preferably somewhere liberal to middle of the road.

I know these are pretty weird, but thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
I'd draw a 100 mile circle around the Kitchener/Waterloo area of southern Ontario and look there for a place to settle down..

Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM

398 posts, read 734,254 times
There's tons of places that match your criteria, but we need some more specifics. Do you want to be able to grow fruit trees? Because many parts of Canada are too cold to support most fruit trees, you would need to stick to southern Ontario for the most part, especially the Niagara Peninsula. I haven't seen very many orchards in other parts of Canada such as eastern Ontario or anywhere in Quebec for that matter.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
There's tons of places that match your criteria, but we need some more specifics. Do you want to be able to grow fruit trees? Because many parts of Canada are too cold to support most fruit trees, you would need to stick to southern Ontario for the most part, especially the Niagara Peninsula. I haven't seen very many orchards in other parts of Canada such as eastern Ontario or anywhere in Quebec for that matter.
If by "orchard" you mean apple orchards, then there are lots in eastern Ontario and southern Quebec. Also in the Maritimes.

But other types of fruit trees are a lot rarer. There are even very few fruit trees (ie peaches and grapes) other than apples in the Toronto area, which isn't really that far from Niagara when you think about it.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM

661 posts, read 1,253,116 times
Check out Norfolk Ontario, it's on the shore of Lake Erie, great sandy soil, it fits about everything you've said you want.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Acajack, I forgot about the apples since they aren't really my favorite fruit... but when it comes to a variety of different fruit trees you pretty much have to be in Niagara for that. Niagara has cherries, grapes, peaches, plums, pretty much any fruit that grows in the Northeast U.S.

The OP should consider any of the communities in southern Ontario especially the lake Erie communities and the Niagara region. London, ON would be a good choice if he wants a lot of snow. I would also suggest the Thousand Islands region, Gananoque, not too terribly far from Ottawa and Montreal, no access to a large lake or ocean but the St. Lawrence is beautiful and Lake Ontario isn' too far off, plenty of land for farms but the climate is colder there.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Funny, when I think of orchards I automatically think of apples (and generally only apples). Probably because everywhere I have always lived, the only fruit trees around have always been apple trees!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Ah, see, for me it was always peaches... the biggest orchards around here (mid-Atlantic region of U.S.) are peaches and that's what you always see sold on the roadside stands.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,602,318 times
There are more peaches in Niagara than apples. Apples like heavy siols and so do grapes so the grapes have won the battle as the fruit of choice for the farmers. Light soils are good for peaches
and cherries and you can't make any money growing cherries so it's peaches and apricots in Niagara.

Now, there are areas in BC that meet the OP's criteria. Up in the mountains near Vancouver for instance. Pemberton BC meets them to a tee. You are still only 2 hrs to Van and yet it snows a lot. Without looking it up I would guess 20 ft or so. It's a freat agricultural area at the bottom of the mountains. Tons of wildlife. Bears, lions, elk and moose, deer, mountain sheep and goats. It's as liberal as it gets with a lot of hippies around and weed everywhere.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,862,935 times
You really like rain? Maybe try somewhere around Kamploops BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada