Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,603,135 times

Advertisements

Is it easier for an American to move (immigrate) to Canada or a Canadian to move (immigrate) to the US?
(This is taking into account that the American does not have a Canadian spouse or family member and vice-versa.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,303,741 times
They're about the same, except for Canada has a points system for "desirable" immigrants, and there is nothing similar in the US

Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,675 times
Canada has a number of streams for Immigration.......

Express Entry is a recently introduced program, that matches applicants with very specific education and work skills, to Canadian employers that are looking for such people. It has time lines as short as 4 to 6 months to be approved.

Each of the Provinces and Territories have " Provincial Nominee Programs " where a applicant , who has specific skills, can be sponsored by a Provincial Government, that needs such a person. The Provincial Government sponsors the individual, and helps them to get faster approval by the Federal Government The sponsored person is expected to live in the sponsoring Province or Territory for a minimum of three years. One example of this program are Irish citizens who are skilled in the building trades, who are now working in Canada, with two year permits. Both sides profit in this type of program.

There is also the NAFTA visa. The North American Free Trade Agreement has a clause that allows highly educated individuals, who have specific skills, to be given a time limited work visa, to work in the other country. This is typically for executive level managers, or University professors, or technical and engineering types.

Canada used to have a "investor immigrant program' but that was shut down in 2014.

As for Canadians moving to the USA..........Usually they are young, very educated and ambitious. Some do well, some come back after a couple of years. Obviously, each of them have their own reasons for going, and coming back.

As to the question of "which is easier " ? I think the Canadian system is easier to access, provided that the applicant has the advanced education and actual working experience that is required to be approved. A further point is that the gross number of applications is smaller, for entry to Canada, than it is for entry to the USA. Remember that the population of Canada is 90 percent SMALLER than that of the USA.

Jim B.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

As for Canadians moving to the USA..........Usually they are young, very educated and ambitious. Some do well, some come back after a couple of years. Obviously, each of them have their own reasons for going, and coming back.

I was in my mid-30's when I moved. I won't be coming back.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
I think it is easier to move to Canada.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 PM

446 posts, read 397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I was in my mid-30's when I moved. I won't be coming back.
Why? Do you mind telling us? Because I keep thinking about moving to Canada.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 AM

It's been sort of beaten to death on a few other threads, but to sum it up as briefly as possible;

Opportunity, climate, cost of living/money. Depending on the day, any one of those could be the primary reason.

I moved from Calgary to Houston.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Why? Do you mind telling us? Because I keep thinking about moving to Canada.
usually two things: Money and Weather.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Really that about sums it up. Thanks Botti!

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What about LOVE Bottie LOVE????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada