Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,752,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Nothing wrong with Canadians giving their money to Canadian companies.
that's totally fine. just don't pretend it is because the coffee is good.

and pls buy Canadian made TVs, phones, cars, computers, clothes, toys etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
My husband says the exact same thing, that Starbucks has a burnt taste.
What are they ordering? Try a Blonde (True North) or Medium (Pike Place) roast. Drink it black or with MINIMAL sweetener or whitener. If you need copious amounts of cream, sugar, or milk to get it down, then you probably don't really like coffee. Stick to teas with hints of mint, Polly Prissypants.

It's like people who say they like beer but wince if you offer them a finely crafted brew from a local microbrewery. If you have Coors Light or Bud in your fridge, you are not a true beer drinker. Go behind the barn and wait for Travis, Old Yeller.

Or folks who say they like to drink but only order those fuzzy, drowned in sugar coolers and novelty drinks. If you don't like alcohol, don't drink it. If a sip of award-winning craft ale or straight-up booze makes you look like you just took a bite of a sh*t sandwich, perhaps you should try another type of beverage. Like your mama's breast milk, baby.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,108,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'd also prefer Tom Horton, too bad we don't have any here. When we drive up to Vancouver we always stop there at least a couple of times. I don't find their donuts to be all that special, and prefer our local Top Pot but I definitely like Tim's coffee better than Starbucks. Here I normally go to independent coffee shops, and when in Oregon I like Dutch Bros.
Do you have Dunkin' Donuts in Seattle? IMO, their coffee tastes almost identical to Timmy Ho's and Country Style. It's inoffensive, slightly bland, mild coffee that appeals to those simply looking for a caffeine fix. In Timmy Ho's case, I really can't fathom why so many people are willing to wait in those atrocious line ups for such a mediocre product.

IMO, Starbucks and Second Cup are a cut above Timmy Ho's and the like. I like strong coffee with lots of flavour, so Tim's doesn't quite cut it for me. My preference is Starbucks over all others (especially the Gold Coast blend!), but Second Cup comes in a close second. I'll only drink Timmy Ho's or Country Style if there is no other options available and have no preference for either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
It's like people who say they like beer but wince if you offer them a finely crafted brew from a local microbrewery. If you have Coors Light or Bud in your fridge, you are not a true beer drinker.
LOL. Real men drink Guinness anyways.

I've drank untold gallons of all different kinds of beer and have found that the vast majority of microbrews are way overhopped, almost to the point of a strong IPA. Nothing wrong with those who like IPA, but if you think all beer is supposed to taste like grass clippings, you haven't the faintest clue what beer is supposed to taste like to begin with.

My personal favourites are Guinness, Molson Canadian, Tyskie, Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold or a good Bavarian Weissen (Erdinger or Schneider Weisse, typically). For liquor, I prefer Crown Royal, Maker's Mark or Bowmore 12 Year, straight or with a couple drops of water. YMMV.

Last edited by Annuvin; 11-19-2013 at 02:59 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
Default don't be an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's totally fine. just don't pretend it is because the coffee is good.

and pls buy Canadian made TVs, phones, cars, computers, clothes, toys etc.

What logic says that if you want to give money to a Canadian company, you can never buy from an American company again?

Moron.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,293,799 times
I prefer McDonalds coffee.

Though I like Tim Hortons stock better

Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,925,298 times
McDonalds coffee is gross - my god instant coffee with a few granules put in it is akin to Mcdonalds coffee..

Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,168,443 times
I prefer an independent coffee shop every time to any of the chains. I do like the Starbucks coffee shops though. When we are on the road and need to stop somewhere and take care of business, we look for Starbucks because I know we can get wifi and and a clean place to work. I order my coffee as a pour over to try and avoid the over-extracted flavor.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,752,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclamb View Post
What logic says that if you want to give money to a Canadian company, you can never buy from an American company again?

Moron.
funny you act as if if you buy from Starbucks, Canada benefits nothing from it. All those Starbucks stores high Canadian employees in case you didn't know.

imagine tomorrow all the American stores pull off from Canada, and Canadians have all the "Canadian retails" to choose from. What a pathetic scenario that would be. The entire Eaton Centre would be almost empty.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM

676 posts, read 652,019 times
Wait, do the people who drink at TH because it's Canadian also only shop at The Bay for Canadian-made garments, only ever use a Blackberry and only ever watch Canadian sports and programming? Because if not...

It's fine to like Canadian products for being Canadian - every country does that - but not at the significant expense of quality. There are some good Canadian clothing companies, Blackberry is okay, and I like the CFL and CHL and there are a couple of half-decent Vancouver bands around... but Tim Hortons is absolutely awful and I wouldn't eat or drink anything there even if it was 100% Canadian owned and supported millions of Canadian employees.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,925,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Wait, do the people who drink at TH because it's Canadian also only shop at The Bay for Canadian-made garments, only ever use a Blackberry and only ever watch Canadian sports and programming? Because if not...

It's fine to like Canadian products for being Canadian - every country does that - but not at the significant expense of quality. There are some good Canadian clothing companies, Blackberry is okay, and I like the CFL and CHL and there are a couple of half-decent Vancouver bands around... but Tim Hortons is absolutely awful and I wouldn't eat or drink anything there even if it was 100% Canadian owned and supported millions of Canadian employees.
I don't drink TH's coffee because its Canadian (My mobile is a Samsung S4 Mini not Blackberry) but I do disagree with you that TH is awful coffee... There are far worse blends out there and I personally think TH's coffee has some character and a unique taste.. Starbucks... really its meh... The only thing that makes a Grande Bold palatable for me is some Cinnamon in it - otherwise it kind of tastes like urine...

I don't think most people buy TH's because its Canadian - some may and for some it may be just the most convenient option because there are so many but even in areas where there are both TH and Starbucks close buy - Tim's will still get more traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada