Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,697 times

Advertisements

For a long while now, I've been thinking of moving out of Toronto. I was born and raised here but it as now lost it's magic.

Yeah, you can find everything and anything in Toronto. It's robust with different cultures and lifestyles. But something about it isn't the same...

So, I want to move out of Toronto but I don't know where to go?

I would like to stay 'close' to Toronto for now but not Mississauga or Brampton close- farther would be great.

I'm looking for a quiet place with friendly people. A place where the cost of living isn't as high as Toronto. Also, where it might not be as diverse as Toronto, I would like to find a place where I can acceptingly fit in then stand out completely (I'm African American).

Does anyone have any suggestions, that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
it is ridiculous to call Toronto a concrete jungle. I mean, have you been to other major cities?

If you take a bird's view of the entire city, Toronto is very, very flat. The only area which highrises dominate along Yonge st and probably a few streets close to the lake. Even very central streets such as Queen st, Jarvis st, Church st are mostly low rises.

The city of Toronto as we see it, is 95% low rise, much like a suburb anywhere. Concrete jungle? I'd like to see where it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erial_2009.jpg

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Niagara is very nice and affordable too. It's not very diverse but is growing in that direction.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Kingston, Ontario! It's a lovely little city. That or Guelph, I love Guelph. Both are small cities of about a 100,000 dominated by the presence of a big university, but they also have lots of other little industries independent of these.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
You might like the outskirts of Peterborough area or close by Lindsay.or further east Picton or Gananoque..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is ridiculous to call Toronto a concrete jungle. I mean, have you been to other major cities?

If you take a bird's view of the entire city, Toronto is very, very flat. The only area which highrises dominate along Yonge st and probably a few streets close to the lake. Even very central streets such as Queen st, Jarvis st, Church st are mostly low rises.

The city of Toronto as we see it, is 95% low rise, much like a suburb anywhere. Concrete jungle? I'd like to see where it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erial_2009.jpg
It's also very green for a city of its size.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM

250 posts, read 643,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Kingston, Ontario! It's a lovely little city. That or Guelph, I love Guelph. Both are small cities of about a 100,000 dominated by the presence of a big university, but they also have lots of other little industries independent of these.

I agree with the suggestion of university towns (or small cities).

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Milton/Georgetown (though the housing costs are rising)
Newmarket

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's also very green for a city of its size.
I am not saying it is not.

I just think calling Toronto a "concrete jungle" as if there is congestion everywhere and there is no open space to breathe is completely misleading. There are very few areas where highrises are the norm. In most part of the city, it is one single family house after another, and vast green land.

Toronto is not Hong Kong or Manhattan, which can be described as concrete jungles.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not saying it is not.

I just think calling Toronto a "concrete jungle" as if there is congestion everywhere and there is no open space to breathe is completely misleading. There are very few areas where highrises are the norm. In most part of the city, it is one single family house after another, and vast green land.

Toronto is not Hong Kong or Manhattan, which can be described as concrete jungles.
Exactly. I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada