Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 PM

51 posts, read 154,374 times

Advertisements

Ottawa would probably be your best choice. I'm originally from Ottawa but moved to the west coast (which is definitely more beautiful but there is a decided lack of French). Ottawa's government sector is huge and the private IT sector is booming. Fluent bilingualism is a must in Ottawa for a decent job, however. If your husband's English is up to par, he would have no problem with Ottawa.

Another plus about Ottawa is that it is only 2 hours from Montreal, and 4 hours from Toronto. Plus you're only a 2 hour drive from New York state.

Ottawa has a very good real estate market, great schools, well-funded infrastructure and a fairly low crime rate, yet has enough cultural attractions and shopping to give it a big city feel. Finally, it was rated as the best city in Canada to live this past year (although I remain sceptical, as I'm very loyal to Victoria

The best way to get this done would be for either you or your husband, depending on you qualifications, to apply under the federal skilled worker program. Alternatively, if you can secure an employer beforehand who will sponsor you, you'll get in a lot faster. As French and Americans you can come here as tourists for up to six months and then apply, and then you won't have to leave the country during the application process. Of course, you can't legally work in that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 AM

108 posts, read 248,822 times
Acajack,

Thanks for the information about schools. It's good to know that my kids would be able to continue learning their French language, even if we're not living in Quebec.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Dougie,

Hello again! I looked into Westmount and although it is an English speaking area, it seems like there is a bit of tension between them and Montreal. They want to remain an English speaking area, but greater Montreal and the province of Quebec don't agree. I read this excerpt from Wikipedia....

Merger with Montreal

While trying to prevent Westmount from being amalgamated into greater Montreal, Westmount Mayor Peter Trent and city council asserted that the city was a designated anglophone institution and should not be merged into francophone greater Montreal. In response to this opposition, Municipal Affairs Minister Louise Harel said that Westmount's resistance "reeked of colonialism" and that the opposition was an "ethnic project", statements for which she would refuse to apologize.[12] When asked for comment, Quebec Premier Bernard Landry said the minister had his full support and that the opposition was little more than Quebec bashing.[13] Several federalist public figures criticized Landry's statement: Jean Charest called it insulting to the intelligence of the citizens of Quebec; Joseph Gabary, president of the Quebec Chapter of the Canadian Jewish Congress, called the language "crude"; Alliance Quebec also criticized the premier for singling out the city for special criticism. [14]

Aside from that, Westmount sounds lovely! Although we are a bilingual family, I think we would feel more comfortable in an English speaking part of Canada. Quebec is nice, but they seem really set in their French ways. There is no problem at all with that, but I just don't see it as being the place for my family. We would prefer English with the option of French, rather than French with the option of English!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 AM

Atethepaint (cute nickname, btw!),

I agree! I'm definitely thinking Ottawa is the place for us. I'm originally from NY (but raised in sunny Florida!), and still have family there. So living that close to them would be nice.

I'm thinking my husband would be the one to apply on our behalf. He has an in demand job and he's French and completely fluent in English. He just seems like the more favorable candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada