Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM

364 posts, read 1,194,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria12345 View Post
Luhts, you indicated that you were from Ottawa but you are not sure if you would live there again. Why is that? Just curious to know.
As I said above, I love Ottawa...as a tourist. Summers can be a lot of fun there. If dh got transferred back there, I would go and probably be quite happy. I can't really pinpoint a reason why I'd prefer not to...like every city, it has it's good parts and bad parts. You seem to spend a lot of time driving there (or transferring from bus to bus) to get anywhere - it's very spread out. I didn't find the communities we lived in to be very "close knit" iykwim...everyone commuted and no one knew their neighbors.
I'm sure there are areas that don't fit my description. I spent most of my time in Kanata: cookie-cutter houses and strip malls would be my description of there. I wouldn't want an older home, so many of the areas closer to the core would be out or too expensive.
The other reason I wouldn't want to live in Ottawa again would be the wind chill: in the winter it can get nasty! Sure they have the canal, but I never did like skating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM

326 posts, read 873,176 times
Out of those I've visited, I prefer Calgary followed by Edmonton. However, I think Regina and Saskatoon look great and I would like to visit someday.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

377 posts, read 1,697,221 times
Lived in Toronto and Vancouver. Been to all of Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria enough to know what it would be like living there.

For the cities itself, Victoria or Kelowna would be my favourite, but taking all things into account - including cost of living and career/business opportunities Toronto comes out on top.

Could definitely see myself retiring in one of those two cities though.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM

18 posts, read 30,538 times
All the majors, but I prefer St. John's, Corner Brook and Gander

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,246,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I visited St.John's NFLD for what was suppose to be 7 days but ended up being 18 days because I just didn't want to leave.............. a magical place.
What was so magical about it? I'm curious, if it was so nice, why did you pick London and Toronto above it?

Also I see you are in White Rock, did you like St John's NFLD better than White Rock?

Thanks for your answers !

Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM

64 posts, read 138,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
What was so magical about it? I'm curious, if it was so nice, why did you pick London and Toronto above it?
Bad Chinese food?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM

24 posts, read 102,715 times
Saskatoon! I have never lived there but plan to soon. I have lived in Calgary my whole life and this place got too big too fast! This is no longer the friendly, clean beautiful city it once was. But enough complaining!

Saskatoon has a small town feel with all the big city ammenties. People there are some of the friendliest I have ever met. You can get from the 'burbs to downtown in 10-20 minutes. They have tons of festivals all year long. I love that you can drive out of the city in any direction and find a beautiful lake PLUS you can jump into it in July and not have wear a wetsuit. Lastly - their economy is doing really well right now and was fairly stable over the last few years. Lot's of jobs in my field and many for my husband too.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,545,267 times
I'm from Montreal and moved to Vancouver and know Victoria a bit. I can't pick a favorite because it really depends on your lifestyle and where you are at in life! Montreal's in my blood, but I left it for Vancouver (a city with LOTS of problems of its own) because it had what I needed at the time. There's pros and cons and it's all about what you value. I can't make a decision that'll work for another.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM

182 posts, read 455,242 times
I live in Toronto, i however don't call it the best, but i like it because of its big city feel. I haven't been in Canada outside of the Montreal metro to Niagara falls corridor.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 PM

984 posts, read 1,318,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Also I see you are in White Rock, did you like St John's NFLD better than White Rock?

Thanks for your answers !

St.John'shas so much character and the people are friendly, inpretentious, and easy going.
White Rock is beautiful and has a much nicer, drier climate than Vancouver but is EXTREMELY expensive and like all of Vancouver is very prentious and has a money oriented populace.
Why Toronto or London.........Toronto has just so much to do and {beleieve it or not} is cheap compared to Vancouver or White Rock and the wages are higher. Vancouver has the beautiful setting but it rains a lot and is pretty boring for a city it's size. Toronto and Montreal have so much more to offer and going on than Vancouver without the monetary sink or swim attitude that is now pervasive in Vancouver.
London?...........born and raised there and it is a lovely and affordable city. It has a definate charm and I'm 46 so the nightlife isn't important to me yet Toronto is still so close and is in pretty country with a lot of lovely towns. I also find people in Ontario much friendlier and approachable than BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada