Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 AM

57 posts, read 47,923 times

Advertisements

hello everyone there,i have been researching this for a while,i have notice from studies that "there are no canadians",canada has no ethnic origins from canada itself,and almost everybody describes their ethnicity as the same as their ancesters,even being 2 ou 3 generation,as english,french,german,etc.
can anybody explain that?it's a multicultural country with a history of imigration,i saw the statistics and few people call themselves canadians or say they're ethnicity is that.so who are this suposed canadians?are they 2 generations or 3 over?or 4 or 5?are they white?asian?native americans?

2:i also saw that the predominant race is obviosly white(irish,scotish,english,italian,french) but the minorities i saw a lot of chinese,south asian,middle east,aboriginal,native american but i saw only 2.0% of black people,now my question is this,are really so few black people in canada?i always thought it would be more then that,but in the minorities it's one of the smallest it seems,if not the smallest

i am from portugal,and i am black,me being a future emigrant to canada and being black i ask if there are few black people over there?and if it's strange being black in canada?is there discrimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
As our country wasnt based on slavery there just wasnt that many black people to begin with, also 4 month long winters with temperatures often in the -20's might be a deterring factor to people who grew up in warmer climates such as the Caribbean.
As for hanging on to our ethnic past we seem to be a multicultural society with a deep respect of our cultural heritage,whereas America is more of a melting pot society where previous cultural ties are not so important.
Being black in Canada is nothing like being black in the USA as most of our Black immigrants have come from various Black countries around the world mostly the Caribbean and have not grown up with a cultural history of slavery,unlike the USA where every city and town has a black and white part of town that just isnt the case in Canada,Live anywhere you want..

Here are a few websites that address portugese in Canada.
Google

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As our country wasnt based on slavery there just wasnt that many black people to begin with, also 4 month long winters with temperatures often in the -20's might be a deterring factor to people who grew up in warmer climates such as the Caribbean.
As for hanging on to our ethnic past we seem to be a multicultural society with a deep respect of our cultural heritage,whereas America is more of a melting pot society where previous cultural ties are not so important.
Being black in Canada is nothing like being black in the USA as most of our Black immigrants have come from various Black countries around the world mostly the Caribbean and have not grown up with a cultural history of slavery,unlike the USA where every city and town has a black and white part of town that just isnt the case in Canada,Live anywhere you want..

Google
So let me get this right? Blacks from the Caribbean that emigrate to Canada do not have a history of slavery? Dude how do you think we got the the Caribbean in the first place???? Please tell me you are joking.

For the record as well there is a heavy culture of racism and racist history in Canada as well as the US, if you dispute this please explain why 1/3rd of all blacks in Toronto live below the poverty line? There are also many US cities in the Northern US that have similar segregation statistics to Toronto for example.

Please do yourself a favor and read about the history of Blacks in Canada.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Cart24 You are right on all counts.Maybe you could explain to kobe_ramone what the difference is for a black person living in the USA or Canada. Or is there no difference?.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:

Google
Are you black?

You're right, being black in the US is much much more comfortable. What your saying is the typical Canadian rhetoric about Canada being so tolerant and multi-cultural in comparison to the US. Can we end it now? I believed it until I lived there. Canada had slavery, so stop denying it. Even racist apologists inthe deep south admit to slavery. If Canada was always so great, why didn't any black people move there? There several million more more black Americans than Canadians in general, so why didn' even a noticable handful of the opressed slaves just cross into the promised land en masse to escape America? Even if you count black Africans who have immigrated since the 60's, FAR more have gone to the US than Canada! Why did escaped slaves stop in Philadelphia, New York or Boston, why not continue into Canada? Because Canada did it's best to keep out black people and later chinese, indians and others and keep it "white"(all white countries did back then. People are more racist against blacks in Canada - the difference is that there are hardly any black people. I loved being in unversity (university, not middle school) and having white kids mock ebonics and when I ask "what are you doing" they say "making fun of black people" straight to me, a black guy. Believe it or not, all black people are not rappers and basketball players. A white guy in the US, EVEN IF HE IS a SELF-DESCRIBED RACIST, doesn't say that. But a Canadian guy who is adamantly not racist, WILL, because he doesn't even know hes offending you!! Try getting into a nightclub in Calgary. They'll tell you that your not wearing the right attire or that the club is full!

It's just like in the US the people who do the most "im tolerant" speeches are in all white liberal states like Vermont where there are no black people to discriminate against.

Every town is segregated black and white in the US? Where is the black part of Fargo, ND? You mean the way Canada segregates all the French speakers into one and a half provinces? That's weird because on my street here outside of Baltimore the families are white, black, chinese-american, australian, italian-american,vietnamese and pakistani. Who are the successful black Canadians? You also know that immigrants in general including blacks fare worse off economically in Canada than their US counterparts!? Why are minorities in general (save the Quebecois) so underrepresented by politicians in Canada?

Being black in Canada? Be ready for guys like Jambo to tell you why you should be thankful to be living in a multicultural paradise lmao! And to be the only black person for miles. And for people to accidentally offend you regularly because they don't know anything about black people. Then on the other hand, you have the really liberal Canadian people who go out of their way to accommodate you and try so hard to be nice to you, they end up treating you like you have mental retardation. I loved having some random white Canadian guy come up to me and start talking to me about how he's cool with black people and things that black people do that he likes, like playing basketball. To him, hes being nice. To any black person, he's the worst kind of racist, the kind that doesn't even know he is! That's something a guy would do in 1970's USA...

Don't fall for it Kobe, I lived my life between both countries and I don't buy it at all anymore. Jambo, shame on you. What your saying is like an American guy telling a foreigner why the US is a free country and that the Canadians don't have "freedom"! It's silly rhetoric with little substance behind it. Being black in Canada sucks compared to the US!!! But hey, probably have it better than a Quebecois guy outside of Quebec...

This article sums up what I am saying quite well:

"At first I counted myself lucky to be Canadian. We newcomers were encouraged to adopt this Canadian way of looking at things. But the refusal of some of us to be redefined as black people led to profound interior struggles. We were faced with a difficult dilemma: encouraged on the one hand to appreciate the goodness of this society; at the same time we were condemned for not suppressing an independent awakening to the racial inequities of the society. By the early 1990's, life for the conscious Black person had become as perilous as ever. One of the peculiarities of Canadian racism is its lack of honesty. The honest racist does not like you, period. Racism in a self-defined 'good society' is a much more dangerous thing. Some of the most powerful segments in Canadian society refuse to accept black people without first transforming them. It is a subtle process, this transformation, difficult to grasp, yet you know it exists because of what happens when you refuse to accede to it. Individually, you are stripped of the things that make the good life possible. And so collectively community organization becomes focused on teaching those habits that will prevent individual 'failure' in society. Ultimately this leads to urbanization of black individuals and the destruction of the center of black community. Hence in the end, one discovers that there is nothing like a "Black community" in Canada."

White Canadians -- card carrying Liberals and Tories alike -- never fail to remind the Blacks among them how good they have it in this country. The very polite Canadians, easily pained to hear of the suffering of others, nevertheless frown at any Blacks who complain of racism in this country. To do so is to risk being dubbed ungrateful, to be weighted down by a peculiar Canadian disapprobation for as long as the ingratitude remained. Thus are our freedoms curtailed in this peaceful haven. After all it is here that Blacks escaping slavery in America found sanctuary before and during the American Civil War. And since then we've been spared the all too frequent lynching, segregation and most recently, race-riots as found in America.

http://www.imdiversity.com/villages/global/civil_human_equal_rights/black_canute.asp (broken link)

Last edited by hobbesdj; 06-20-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post

For the record as well there is a heavy culture of racism and racist history in Canada as well as the US, if you dispute this please explain why 1/3rd of all blacks in Toronto live below the poverty line?
Education? Skills? Abilities? Work ethic?
Naw... couldn't be any of these things.

Always funny to see black failings blamed on white racism.
So who gets blamed in Haiti, sub-Saharan Africa, and other places where there are few to no whites to blame????

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Kobe i was just trying to answer your question about "is there discrimination?"From my point of view here in Montreal.

Seems its a very sensitive topic and others from America seem to be much more qualified to talk about Canadas discrimination issues than i so i'll let the experts inform Kobe whats in store for him when he comes over to Canada.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Kobe i was just trying to answer your question about "is there discrimination?"From my point of view here in Montreal.

Seems its a very sensitive topic and others from America seem to be much more qualified to talk about Canadas discrimination issues than i so i'll let the experts inform Kobe whats in store for him when he comes over to Canada.
Well then don't talk about how being black in Canada is great compared to the US unless you are A) black and B) have lived in Canada AND the US. Sounds like sound criteria to me. The guy didn't even mention the words "America", "American", or the country "The United States" in his question, but your answer regarded why Canada is better for black people than the US is. Thanks for letting me know!

I'm not going to talk about how being a Quebecois is better in New England than Canada because I'm not Quebecois and haven't lived in New England! I would be speculating!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,034 times
Quote:
i have notice from studies that "there are no canadians",canada has no ethnic origins from canada itself,and almost everybody describes their ethnicity as the same as their ancesters,even being 2 ou 3 generation,as english,french,german,etc.
Not entirely true, heres a lil map:

Quote:
i saw the statistics and few people call themselves canadians or say they're ethnicity is that.so who are this suposed canadians?are they 2 generations or 3 over?or 4 or 5?are they white?asian?native americans?
Anyone can call themselves Canadian, number of generations doesn't mater, colour of skin doesn't mater, where your ancestors come from doesn't mater. My family came not to long ago from the Ukraine, but if I'm to be honest with myself I'm not Ukrainian at all, I'm 100% Canadian, so i consider myself an ethnic Canadian.

Quote:
Canada had slavery, so stop denying it.
Quote:
Historian Marcel Trudel has documented 4,092 recorded slaves throughout Canadian history, of which 2,692 were Aboriginal peoples, owned by the French, and 1,400 blacks owned by the British, together owned by approximately 1,400 masters
Slavery in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not very many, but still some, ya.

Quote:
So who gets blamed in Haiti, sub-Saharan Africa, and other places where there are few to no whites to blame????
Shouldn't have added Haiti in there. Our nations are massively responsible for the situation they find themselves in, even Canada has played a very dirty role, go read up some Haitian history to see for yourself.

Quote:
also many US cities in the Northern US that have similar segregation statistics to Toronto for example.
Thats just not true. Toronto has very small neighborhoods, some only a few square blocks. Compared to some of those US city's that literally have the entire city cut in two, one area white, one area black. Even though a neighborhood in Toronto might be predominantly black, all the other little neighborhoods around it aren't. Which means everyone is walking through each-others areas all the time, eating there, going to stores there, hanging out there ect..

And dont listen to hobbesdj, he just a racist. Theres a large group of people who believe that everyone is treating them poorly and actively go out of their way to get offended. If someone tells them the simplest lil joke about any ethnicity then suddenly there a total racist. Its called reverse racism, where you accuse someone of being racist, when there not being racist at all, but you assume they are because there a differnt ethinicty as you, so if there looking at you in the street it has to be cause your black. Which of course is completely ridiculous, as if anyone cares enough about you. If you come to North America avoid these people at all costs, they will do nothing but hold you down. There are many successful black communities in Canada that retain their culture as well as successfully integrate into Canadian culture. If you come with a good attitude you'll have no problem at all and be fully welcome in Canadian society.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM

I've lived in the Tampa/St Pete area for 20 years and a few years in the Miami area and from my perspective black people are treated a lot differently in those areas than either Montreal or Toronto where discrimination is a lot less intense.Bringing America into the conversation was just meant as a comparison on the assumption that Kobe has got his ideas of discrimination from American sources.
As for the French here in Quebec they dont have a problem in the USA as long as they can speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada