Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,904 times

Advertisements

You're a funny guy. But I am still young and have many years ahead of me so who knows where I'll end up. Maybe in a prosperous majority black city in the amazing USofA such as Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, Memphis, can I get a rain check on Detroit? As if those who discriminate are going to be able to tell the difference between an immigrant or a native citizen. They're not discriminating on you based on your legal status haha, they're discriminating on you because you're BLACK.... someone's in denial

ps: don't reply I love having the last word lol, but if you do I am sick of arguing with you. You obviously enjoy your life in America, and I'm doing "iiiiggghht" over here. Got my family, am college educated, and have no criminal record. Maybe one day it'll be me in upscale Prince George County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I ask you to look at how many of the Somalian and Sudanese migrants here would fare in the US economy? Would them magically going from Ontario into Michigan open a magic ceiling of opportunities?
Well actually, yeah. They would have access to the US economy - countless more job opportunities and more choices regarding where to live. Receiving greater pay for the same work while paying less for food, housing, phone, a car etc leaves more money to be put towards investments of their choice - perhaps towards a job certification, for example!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM

306 posts, read 759,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Are you black?

You're right, being black in the US is much much more comfortable. What your saying is the typical Canadian rhetoric about Canada being so tolerant and multi-cultural in comparison to the US. Can we end it now? I believed it until I lived there. Canada had slavery, so stop denying it. Even racist apologists inthe deep south admit to slavery. If Canada was always so great, why didn't any black people move there? There several million more more black Americans than Canadians in general, so why didn' even a noticable handful of the opressed slaves just cross into the promised land en masse to escape America? Even if you count black Africans who have immigrated since the 60's, FAR more have gone to the US than Canada! Why did escaped slaves stop in Philadelphia, New York or Boston, why not continue into Canada? Because Canada did it's best to keep out black people and later chinese, indians and others and keep it "white"(all white countries did back then. People are more racist against blacks in Canada - the difference is that there are hardly any black people. I loved being in unversity (university, not middle school) and having white kids mock ebonics and when I ask "what are you doing" they say "making fun of black people" straight to me, a black guy. Believe it or not, all black people are not rappers and basketball players. A white guy in the US, EVEN IF HE IS a SELF-DESCRIBED RACIST, doesn't say that. But a Canadian guy who is adamantly not racist, WILL, because he doesn't even know hes offending you!! Try getting into a nightclub in Calgary. They'll tell you that your not wearing the right attire or that the club is full!

It's just like in the US the people who do the most "im tolerant" speeches are in all white liberal states like Vermont where there are no black people to discriminate against.

Every town is segregated black and white in the US? Where is the black part of Fargo, ND? You mean the way Canada segregates all the French speakers into one and a half provinces? That's weird because on my street here outside of Baltimore the families are white, black, chinese-american, australian, italian-american,vietnamese and pakistani. Who are the successful black Canadians? You also know that immigrants in general including blacks fare worse off economically in Canada than their US counterparts!? Why are minorities in general (save the Quebecois) so underrepresented by politicians in Canada?

Being black in Canada? Be ready for guys like Jambo to tell you why you should be thankful to be living in a multicultural paradise lmao! And to be the only black person for miles. And for people to accidentally offend you regularly because they don't know anything about black people. Then on the other hand, you have the really liberal Canadian people who go out of their way to accommodate you and try so hard to be nice to you, they end up treating you like you have mental retardation. I loved having some random white Canadian guy come up to me and start talking to me about how he's cool with black people and things that black people do that he likes, like playing basketball. To him, hes being nice. To any black person, he's the worst kind of racist, the kind that doesn't even know he is! That's something a guy would do in 1970's USA...

Don't fall for it Kobe, I lived my life between both countries and I don't buy it at all anymore. Jambo, shame on you. What your saying is like an American guy telling a foreigner why the US is a free country and that the Canadians don't have "freedom"! It's silly rhetoric with little substance behind it. Being black in Canada sucks compared to the US!!! But hey, probably have it better than a Quebecois guy outside of Quebec...

This article sums up what I am saying quite well:

"At first I counted myself lucky to be Canadian. We newcomers were encouraged to adopt this Canadian way of looking at things. But the refusal of some of us to be redefined as black people led to profound interior struggles. We were faced with a difficult dilemma: encouraged on the one hand to appreciate the goodness of this society; at the same time we were condemned for not suppressing an independent awakening to the racial inequities of the society. By the early 1990's, life for the conscious Black person had become as perilous as ever. One of the peculiarities of Canadian racism is its lack of honesty. The honest racist does not like you, period. Racism in a self-defined 'good society' is a much more dangerous thing. Some of the most powerful segments in Canadian society refuse to accept black people without first transforming them. It is a subtle process, this transformation, difficult to grasp, yet you know it exists because of what happens when you refuse to accede to it. Individually, you are stripped of the things that make the good life possible. And so collectively community organization becomes focused on teaching those habits that will prevent individual 'failure' in society. Ultimately this leads to urbanization of black individuals and the destruction of the center of black community. Hence in the end, one discovers that there is nothing like a "Black community" in Canada."

White Canadians -- card carrying Liberals and Tories alike -- never fail to remind the Blacks among them how good they have it in this country. The very polite Canadians, easily pained to hear of the suffering of others, nevertheless frown at any Blacks who complain of racism in this country. To do so is to risk being dubbed ungrateful, to be weighted down by a peculiar Canadian disapprobation for as long as the ingratitude remained. Thus are our freedoms curtailed in this peaceful haven. After all it is here that Blacks escaping slavery in America found sanctuary before and during the American Civil War. And since then we've been spared the all too frequent lynching, segregation and most recently, race-riots as found in America.

OH CANADA! Lament of the Black Canute Experience (http://www.imdiversity.com/villages/global/civil_human_equal_rights/black_canute.asp - broken link)
I love this one. It's pretty much on the ball. I'm Native American, "First Nations" in Canada, and I got pretty much the same treatment. Only worse because I'm female. I had a guy stand right at my door going into detail about why he liked "black" women's bodies. I encountered the stereotypes that go along with the '"black" women are all sluts with no brains' mentality. The same things that their white-American counterparts know better than to say to my face, at least in SOME parts of this country. When you're female these things get positively GROSS. And of course, insulting. Disgusting, perverted, slimebag, etc. I mean, other than teaching ON a First Nations reserve I would not go back up there again!! That would be the only place in Canada where I wouldn't get manhandled just because my skin is brown.

Geez, thanks for reminding me why I stay down here where there's no welfare and no Band Assistance unless it's tribe-by-tribe. Because Canadian white men are more many-handed gross disgusting pigs when they see me and I have to TELL them I'm First Nations and not "black" - eeewww.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Education? Skills? Abilities? Work ethic?
Naw... couldn't be any of these things.

Always funny to see black failings blamed on white racism.
So who gets blamed in Haiti, sub-Saharan Africa, and other places where there are few to no whites to blame????
You can't discredit history, colonialism and the fact that Haiti has paid a price for fighting the French for it's independence.

Also, if Haiti didn't do that, much of the US west of the Mississippi River would be speaking French, as the french left after they were defeated by the Slaves in Haiti. that is turn allowed the US to get that land. Hence the Louisiana Purchase.......

Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Just to get back on track, the blacks in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are largely Blacks that go back to the Black Loyalists that came from the US around the time of the Revolutionary War. Some came during the war of 1812 as well and as runaway slaves. Same thing in Southwestern Ontario and somewhat the Eastern townships of Quebec. Some were Jamaican Maroons that came to Canada to Nova Scotia as well.

There were also Black Americans that came to British Columbia in the mid 1800's or so and some came to Saskatchewan and Alberta in the early 20th century around 1911 or so.

Some came as Pullman Porters as well. So, there is a history of Black Americans going to Canada and staying. Many did leave for the US after 1860 to cities in adjacent states, but some still came to Canada from the US and the Caribbean even before the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Here is some good information for the OP: Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia

North American Black Historical Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North American Black Historical Museum

African Canadian Heritage Tour (http://www.visitwindsor.com/byexperience/pointofinterest/africancanadian/africancanadian.asp - broken link)
African-Canadian Heritage Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alberta's Black Pioneer Heritage - Amber Valley

Destination Canada, Eastern Townships, Quebec, Talkin' Travel (Read 3rd paragraph after Nucleate Patterns)

Black Canadian History

Arrival of the Black Loyalists: Saint John's Black Community: Heritage Resources Saint John

The Road Taken by Selwyn Jacob - NFB
Remember Africville by Shelagh Mackenzie - NFB
Speak It! From the Heart of Black Nova Scotia by Sylvia Hamilton - NFB
Black Mother Black Daughter by Claire Prieto & Sylvia Hamilton - NFB
Speakers for the Dead by Jennifer Holness & David Sutherland - NFB
Black Soul by Martine Chartrand - NFB
Sisters in the Struggle by Dionne Brand & Ginny Stikeman - NFB
Dresden Story by Julian Biggs - NFB
The Colour of Beauty by Elizabeth St. Philip - NFB
Encounter at Kwacha House - Halifax by Rex Tasker - NFB
Sitting in Limbo (Trailer) by John N. Smith - NFB
Making It by Sobaz Benjamin - NFB
Crossroads by Don Haldane - NFB

YouTube - Seven Shades Of Pale 1975 (PT 1 of 3)

I can go on, but this can give you an idea of the "Black experience" in Canada...

Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

57 posts, read 47,963 times
thanks ckhthankgod,this information es very helpfull,this conversation was losing track,lol,with guys fighting another

Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to get back on track, the blacks in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are largely Blacks that go back to the Black Loyalists that came from the US around the time of the Revolutionary War. Some came during the war of 1812 as well and as runaway slaves. Same thing in Southwestern Ontario and somewhat the Eastern townships of Quebec. Some were Jamaican Maroons that came to Canada to Nova Scotia as well.

There were also Black Americans that came to British Columbia in the mid 1800's or so and some came to Saskatchewan and Alberta in the early 20th century around 1911 or so.

Some came as Pullman Porters as well. So, there is a history of Black Americans going to Canada and staying. Many did leave for the US after 1860 to cities in adjacent states, but some still came to Canada from the US and the Caribbean even before the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Here is some good information for the OP: Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia

North American Black Historical Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African Canadian Heritage Tour (http://www.visitwindsor.com/byexperience/pointofinterest/africancanadian/africancanadian.asp - broken link)
African-Canadian Heritage Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alberta's Black Pioneer Heritage - Amber Valley

Destination Canada, Eastern Townships, Quebec, Talkin' Travel (Read 3rd paragraph after Nucleate Patterns)

Black Canadian History

Arrival of the Black Loyalists: Saint John's Black Community: Heritage Resources Saint John

The Road Taken by Selwyn Jacob - NFB
Remember Africville by Shelagh Mackenzie - NFB
Speak It! From the Heart of Black Nova Scotia by Sylvia Hamilton - NFB
Black Mother Black Daughter by Claire Prieto & Sylvia Hamilton - NFB
Speakers for the Dead by Jennifer Holness & David Sutherland - NFB
Black Soul by Martine Chartrand - NFB
Sisters in the Struggle by Dionne Brand & Ginny Stikeman - NFB
Dresden Story by Julian Biggs - NFB
The Colour of Beauty by Elizabeth St. Philip - NFB
Encounter at Kwacha House - Halifax by Rex Tasker - NFB
Sitting in Limbo (Trailer) by John N. Smith - NFB
Making It by Sobaz Benjamin - NFB
Crossroads by Don Haldane - NFB

YouTube - Seven Shades Of Pale 1975 (PT 1 of 3)

I can go on, but this can give you an idea of the "Black experience" in Canada...
Thanks for the research...

Cheers.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,289,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Well actually, yeah. They would have access to the US economy - countless more job opportunities and more choices regarding where to live. Receiving greater pay for the same work while paying less for food, housing, phone, a car etc leaves more money to be put towards investments of their choice - perhaps towards a job certification, for example!
Countless more job opportunities? What rot. The US economy is on its knees. What rock are you living under???

US jobless claims highest level in 9 months - *Money - MSN CA

Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 30,150 times
I am a 2nd generation black Jamaician/Canadian. My 4 sisters and brother all grew up here in the GTA (Toronto Area). We all are relatively successful we have decent jobs and all own our own homes. Our children are just about to follow in our footsteps. I cannot compare being black and living in the US or other parts of the country as I have only ever lived in the GTA. However; I will say this: If you are willing to work hard and invest some time in educating yourself you will have no problems fitting in and being succesful in the GTA.

Time and time again I see a small portion of young black youths blaming the color of their skin for their lack of success; while doing nothing in trying to improve themselves. It may be a legitiment excuss in alot of parts of the world but not here! Yes, there are some challenges in trying be a successful black person in the GTA, but really their not that hard to overcome.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

65 posts, read 38,401 times
what's GTA??

if you're not educated can you still get a job there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada